Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Battery Light On In Dash

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 11:36 AM
Default Battery Light On In Dash

Can't get my battery light to turn off. Had my battery go bad. I replaced with a new one and new battery terminals. The dash light came on after a couple minutes of driving and my radio also did not turn on. Checked fuses all good. Removed the alternator had it tested it was good. I also had the new battery tested it was good battery. Read on here to replace megafuse I did that too. The battery light on dash will go away temporary if I step on the gas and get rpms up will come back on as the rpms drop. Stuck here and can find anything else on the net.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Year and miles is always helpful when asking any trouble shooting questions.

What kind of new battery terminals?? Are you aware that + and - terminals are not the same size? Sure, they look close, but battery connections are not like horse shoes or lawn jarts.

What is a "good battery?" You/we need to know voltage at rest to confirm that.

95% of the time, your battery light is on because you have a poor connection to the battery. The PCM cannot detect consistent voltage from the battery so the dash light turns on. It is saying your battery connection is poor, fix that.

When you replaced your battery terminal connectors, were they properly installed. Recheck the connections and look at the ground cable for corrosion at either end.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:58 PM

06 h3 with 310,000. Battery brand new tested and takes a charge. As far as terminals standard O'Reilly 12 bucks a pair. Also replaced the battery alternator starter harness wire with a newer one that came with an engine I bought to replace the original motor when it died about 40000 miles ago. Same size engine.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by chazyrae94
06 h3 with 310,000. Battery brand new tested and takes a charge.
1) As far as terminals standard O'Reilly 12 bucks a pair.
2) Also replaced the battery alternator starter harness wire with a newer one that came with an engine I bought to replace the original motor when it died about 40000 miles ago. Same size engine.
#1 above is not what I would use for any H3 = junk IMHO.
#2 is still how many years old? Like more than 10... correct?

I would be upgrading #1 to a quality aftermarket set of Battery Terminal Connectors like Stinger or your favorite brand. If still a problem, I would be checking the ground cable for corrosion.

Just because a battery is "new" does not mean it is free of defects so voltage at rest is still important.

Last question. Did you happen to put dielectric grease on the battery terminals themselves? If so that is an insulator not a conduit.

Hope this helps.