Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   Hummer H3 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/)
-   -   Aluminum Radiator Leak (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/aluminum-radiator-leak-39367/)

MrClark 02-07-2018 07:36 PM

Aluminum Radiator Leak

Hi guys I installed this aluminum radiator exactly 13 months ago. Like I don't
have enough problems with my H3 this winter. Suddenly one month after the warranty expired I have a leak. My question here is can an aluminum radiator be repaired??? I went to a radiator repair shop and the guy said its gonna cost alot of money to fix it. He recommended I go buy a metal Apoxy and fix it myself. It seemed to me as if he didn't want to be bothered. This is what I have to deal with here. Are there any opinions here to point me in the right direction? I bought this radiator on eBay from a new jersey based seller. :mad:https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hum...a320bb5268.jpg

TAINTER 02-08-2018 06:12 AM

I've had several radiators (aluminum) repaired over the years and it has cost between $45 for a leak test (which they apply to the repair if needed) to a total of $150.

Try a different radiator shop.

Doc Olds 02-08-2018 08:07 AM

Definitely take the leak elsewhere. Radiator shops are in the business of repairing and/or replacing radiators, some people do not like to work.

Yes it can be fixed, but if it was a cheap Asian made aluminum radiator, he may have a point. If you paid about $160 for it, might be easier to replace.

MrClark 02-10-2018 01:27 AM

Well guys I went to 3 different radiator repair shops today and all I got were ridiculous prices for a small leak repair. I stopped at a local GM
dealer out of curiosity and I inquired about an AC/Delco radiator after the parts attendant told me $398.00 plus tax. I walked out. From my
experiences I have real bad luck with plastic tanks. I'm going to continue shopping around. And CSF has a new improved aluminum radiator. For a few bucks more
than AC/Delco
Thanks guys for all your advice.

hummer_on_fumes 02-10-2018 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by MrClark (Post 349998)
Well guys I went to 3 different radiator repair shops today and all I got were ridiculous prices for a small leak repair. I stopped at a local GM
dealer out of curiosity and I inquired about an AC/Delco radiator after the parts attendant told me $398.00 plus tax. I walked out. From my
experiences I have real bad luck with plastic tanks. I'm going to continue shopping around. And CSF has a new improved aluminum radiator. For a few bucks more
than AC/Delco
Thanks guys for all your advice.

I had a separate trans cooler installed in both my H3 and H2. My radiator leaked internally on my H3 and destroyed my entire transmission :(
I had considered a metal radiator but decided a trans cooler was the safer bet. Seems like I was right if the metal ones leak too. Not sure what's up with the radiators cracking in both the H3 and H2 but be careful!

MrClark 02-17-2018 06:37 PM

Would you guys believe I've been to 5 radiator repair shops this past week only to be told by all of them "nobody fixes radiators anymore we only replace them". Now these are shops who advertise radiator repairs. If it wasn't for this winter weather I would've made the attempt myself, to fix my radiator. Also Please pass this Warning on
DO NOT BUY THE ALUMINUM RADIATOR I HAVE PICTURED AT THE BEGINNING OF THIS THREAD!!! Its being sold on Ebay for $180.00 Its poorly made. I bought it just to save myself a BUCK. BIG MISTAKE.

blazed16 02-18-2018 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by MrClark (Post 350177)
Would you guys believe I've been to 5 radiator repair shops this past week only to be told by all of them "nobody fixes radiators anymore we only replace them". Now these are shops who advertise radiator repairs. If it wasn't for this winter weather I would've made the attempt myself, to fix my radiator. Also Please pass this Warning on
DO NOT BUY THE ALUMINUM RADIATOR I HAVE PICTURED AT THE BEGINNING OF THIS THREAD!!! Its being sold on Ebay for $180.00 Its poorly made. I bought it just to save myself a BUCK. BIG MISTAKE.

Sorry to hear this. But ebay and 180 should of gave it away.You save at the beginning but in the long run is going to cost you alot more.

My h3 had radiator replaced 2 years ago just with an oem one.
I was thinking of getting a trans cooler too and alum radiator but maybe just the trans cooler instead.

WR3NCHE4D 02-18-2018 06:17 PM

You tried radiator shops and they failed you. Did you try a welding shop? Aluminum is tricky to weld and it takes some skill. You might not get it fixed and, if you do, you may have other issues with the rad leaking later. A friend of mine had the front horn of his NSX welded on without any problems, but it's made from aircraft aluminum.

hichamaziz 02-22-2018 06:58 AM

this radiator is not original

MrClark 02-24-2018 01:56 PM

[QUOTE=hichamaziz;350309]this radiator is not original.
Of course its not original its after market. Whats your point?