PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airaid intake and throttle body install

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 03:05 AM
Default RE: Airaid intake and throttle body install

ORIGINAL: topcarbon

ORIGINAL: Fireman

Did Airaid make any claims of what to expect from the new throttle body and intake?

Of course. Better colder air reduces heat and increases miles per galln. The throttle body doesnt increase the diameter, it increses the length. Inside there are grooves(like a bolt) that produce a swirling affest on the air which does something to the power. I am not a smart car guy. I am just happy I did it myself and I didnt break anything or strip anything or have to do it over.
You said in your post that you installed a throttle body, and air intake. What you installed is a TB spacer. So, when I replied about the throttle body, it was becuase aftermarket companies DO make aftermarket TB's that dump larger amounts of fuel (which is what I commented on, so there isn't anything wrong about my reply) it would be like putting a larger carb on an older vehicle. You were misleading in your post by calling the TB spacer a TB.

As for gains, I saw a mention in a wheeling mag that some TB spacers work for some engines, and not for others. The editors claimed it worked well on the inline 6 used in Jeeps do to the limited amount of space just inside the intake manifold. They thought that creating the extra space (on this engines design) did create a gain. Perhaps not so for other engines. So, maybe you will get something out of it.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

The small swirls may obstruct it just a little, but I don't think it would be enough to cause any performance decrease, but I'm not an expert at it so I probably should not have said anything

Old 08-10-2006, 11:32 AM

There are clearly some misconceptions being posted here in regards to aftermarket throttlebodies. They in no way add more fuel to the engine. They are larger diater than stock to increase airflow into the engine. The 3.5 l is fuel injected and the only thing that can increase fuel into the motor is either heavier injectors or reprogramming the computer.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:47 AM

I don't think anyone is confusing The term throttle body with the SPACER do-hicky...What Fireman was saying was that he put on a larger throttle body which obviously had a larger Injector in it..hence the more fuel..I think then you are right about the I5, whereas it is a multiport fuel injected and has 5 individual injecters (one for each cylinder)..Whereas, a throttle body injection system, has one big a$$ injector in the throttle body for the whole engine (GM did this a lot on their first injected engines back in the 80's)...All we have on these I5 engines, is a butterfly valve in the throttle body to regulate air flow.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:02 PM

Actually, Fireman was right about what I said and did. I put a TB Spacer. I miss wrote. Sorry for the f**k up. Its just a doohicky that spaces the throttle body by about an inch from the air thingy.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

OK SO, Have you seen any increase in performance? If so, I'm going to order one. I'm actually waiting to hear from your experience if you notice a difference or not after installing it. I think we ALL want to know ;-)

Old 08-10-2006, 03:57 PM

My thoughts on the SPACER..I think it's snake oil..I've mention this before..

The turbulance it is suppose to do to the intake air is before the intake manifold chambers and throttle body, which they themselves do that job of swirling the air..So IMHO, it is redundant to pre-swirl the air before the Throttle body with this Spacer..

And since this engine is multiported with 5 individual injectors, the intake chamber after the throttle body stirs up the air by design...

So this concept of swirling the intake air would have some merit with these TB spacers on Carburated or Throttle body injection systems.

But it's worthless on these type of injected engines.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

So, what you are truely saying is topcarbon should have just sent his money to me because it would have had the same affect on his H3 that it does now invested into that part ;-)

Old 08-10-2006, 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

So, what you are truely saying is topcarbon should have just sent his money to me because it would have had the same affect on his H3 that it does now invested into that part ;-)
Exactly...But I was thinking more along the lines of sending ME the money..you got enough!

Old 08-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

That's right buddy. Remember, I'm rich because I drive a $65,000 H3 and get 4 mpg!

Quick Reply: Airaid intake and throttle body install