PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ahhhh CRAP !! any thoughts guys ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Default Ahhhh CRAP !! any thoughts guys ??

First off I would like to say hello to my fellow H3 drivers ! I own a 08 White with black rimmed adventure package model. Ok heres my issue, I live in NY and this past Wednesday we as many other northeastern states got hammered. Well during the storm in 6+ inches of snow I was in 4 High lock and the truck performed awesomely and even took it offroading later on in the day in a foot plus with not even blinking an eye, It was great !! The problem is that i haven't driven the car since Weds and left it in 4H lock not noticing what I was doing today (SAT) driving around the dry plowed streets making turns and hearing the moan and dragging of the drivetrain. After doing this for a few turns and such I then noticed the Lock buttonb engaged and cursed up a storm !! I then turned it off and went to regular 4H, now I smelled something burning and smelled like oil. I did NOT see any check engine message nor any other errors and the truck seems to be driving fine. My question is,, -- If I did any damage, would I see a message pop up if there is any damage to the drivetrain?? Thanks guys !

Old 02-13-2010, 02:48 PM

I would have the transfer case fluid changed. Then they can see if the fluid is burnt.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:51 PM

from what I have seen here, it is s common thing to smell a burning smell on the H3 when the roads are wet.
I would not worry to much about driving with the locker on. I have done it a few times. as long as you are not out doing high speed turns you should be ok.
if you search the forum you can find things on the burning smell.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:40 PM

thanks guys, yea I might have the transfer fluid checked out this coming week just for peace of mind. I guess the noises I heard while turning is normal science for making turns with a locked axle. Stupid mistake and I shake my head at myself because I know better, and just forgot to turn it off. As long as im not hearin noises when the lockers are off and no signals popping up then I hope im ok...

Old 02-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Banned
Default brite red flashing led

i have a post here somewhere about installing a flashing led on the dash to warn of either lock mode

i am putting RIGHT IN THE MID OF SPEEDO!!!

TOM

Old 02-13-2010, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by drtom
i have a post here somewhere about installing a flashing led on the dash to warn of either lock mode

i am putting RIGHT IN THE MID OF SPEEDO!!!

TOM
How 'bout sharing the wiring hookup with us (wire colors)? If you're using one led, how are you running current from both switches (HI LOCK & LOW LOCK).....diodes?

Old 02-13-2010, 09:46 PM

Zip Tie Man where in NY you live? How's the wheelin over there?

Old 02-14-2010, 04:24 AM

Yeah after the storm here in jersey this past week, I left it in 4h for a little bit by accident but I noticed on a turn there was a resistance/grinding feeling and I realized what I did. I didn't have any issues after taking it out of 4h.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by DAGKANA
Zip Tie Man where in NY you live? How's the wheelin over there?
I live out in Staten Island which doesn't have many areas to go, I just got back from Blue Mountain P.A. today after taking the girlfriend skiing up there for valentines day and man what a nice drive. Plenty of snow, dirt/muddy roads and trails everywhere. Truly the P.A. mountains give the N.Y. Mtns a run for the money !

Old 02-15-2010, 08:17 PM

In 4HI Loc you are not using your "locker". Even in 4LO you will not use it until you press the locker (X) button.

As far as the smell goes, I have smelled the same thing after driving on wet roads. I searched thru the entire engine compartment and under side sniffing and always came back to the same conclusion that the front brakes heat up and smell when they get wet.

Quick Reply: Ahhhh CRAP !! any thoughts guys ??