Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Advice on BCM

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 01:36 PM
Default Advice on BCM

Hey Guys

The 06 truck came to me with a dead battery and after sitting for a year so i have no background on it

She is up and running now but the keyless remotes wont unlock the doors. My buddy has a key shop he tested the remotes for signal and battery both are good. I fell strongly that the receiver no good.

I have 3 questions

Looking to confirm that the BCM is the brain for the keyless remote .

I cannot reset the TPM im not sure if those signals go to the BCM ?

How can i trouble shoot the BCM if that is the thing to be looking at.

Thank you
Steve

Old 09-26-2019, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

If you cannot reset the TPMS on a 2006, it is because you need new sensors they have a life expectancy of 10 years. Unless you know the prior owner recently replaced them, don't bother until you install new ones. I would recommend ACDelco, not el cheapos.

With a 2006 that has been sitting a long time, you lost the fob connections. Happens to a lot of 06/07s. You can play with those until blue in the face, but it would be cheaper and you get better range with aftermarket keyless entry and remote start.

Yes, the OEM keyless entry functions through the BCM. They can have issues if they sit too long, but not always. Balance price for a new BCM and programming vs new aftermarket fobs if everything else functions as it should.
You can scan the BCM with a full scanner (not an engine code reader) to check functions.

Another thing you need to do if not done already is to hack off the crappy azzed battery terminal connectors and replace them with a quality aftermarket set like Stingers or your favorite brand.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:04 PM

HI Doc Olds

thank you for you comments, i will order some new battery clamps ASAP!

The H3 is a manual so i probably wont be installing the aftermarket remote start, the OEM keyless is good for me.

Can you inform me on what programing is involved with replacing the BCM? I dont know what happens if i buy a replacement BCM and plug it in.

Thank you very much
Steve

Old 09-27-2019, 02:04 AM

Say hello to the dealership lol. I went there last summer to get a new fob programmed. It is the same for BCM. Dealer programmed.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Happy Hummer
Say hello to the dealership lol. I went there last summer to get a new fob programmed. It is the same for BCM. Dealer programmed.
HI Happy Hummer thank you, can you tell me the totality of the programming? is it just the fob or are there other functions that need to be programed?

thank you
Steve

Old 09-28-2019, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Another thing you need to do if not done already is to hack off the crappy azzed battery terminal connectors and replace them with a quality aftermarket set like Stingers or your favorite brand.
Was thinking of your million posts about the terminals when my BIL asked me to change his battery. I told him I would if he brings me Stingers too. Turns out the lead from the starter is 3 inches from the post, and very little slack, unable to reach the new terminal. It's a '14 gs350 original battery. So, I left the positive terminal alone and told him if you ever have problems with that terminal I would have to install a new 4ga cable from the starter.