Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

ABS, Traction Control warning lights & no 4H or 4L

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 08:40 PM
Default ABS, Traction Control warning lights & no 4H or 4L

2007 H3
A little history; bought it from a repair shop that replaced the gauge cluster, body control module and the entire brake master cylinder/abs system. The amber ABS and the red Brake lights are on, and I'm getting the following warning messages: "ABS FAULT", BRAKES FLUID" "TRACTION FAILED" along with the "SERVICE TPM" (IDC about the TPM problem) (see link at the bottom to dash video). The check engine light isn't on nor am I getting any fault codes when scanned. I also have the original parts they took off.
Encoder motor replaced (no change). One thing I noticed after changing the encoder motor is now none of the 4wd lights are on where the AWD light was lit before but will still flash after selecting a different mode (but stays in AWD), AND now I'm getting a Service 4WD message where before I wasn't.
We've also unplugged ECM and Body Control plugs and cleaned them with CRC Electronic Cleaner spray.
Yaw Control has also been replaced (no change) and I have ABS sensors on order for all 4 wheels along with a new speed sensor.

I got it at a decent price and don't mind throwing a bit of money at it but I'm not quite sure what all may need replacing, so... what else should I check or possibly replace?

Dash Video link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ua87WaBpFLq5Kx367

Old 11-23-2019, 04:34 PM

scan it with a really good scanner or a GM tech2 and pull the history codes. it might lead you to a solution. as throwing money at it is not a viable solution. it can be many things like the wiring or the abs pump module, bad lines, bad master cylinder, sensors, brake switches or as simple as a bad ground or bad battery terminals or fuse / relay or fuse box /harness.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:16 PM

I've got the Innova scanner coming, my current scanner isn't pulling any codes nor will it detect ABS.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Glennc6
I've got the Innova scanner coming, my current scanner isn't pulling any codes nor will it detect ABS.
Smart move! I'm always amazed at how many diy'ers, want the proper advice, without the proper scanner.
Let me offer those some insight:
Take your vehicle to the shop for diagnostics
Get ready to pay $100.00-$150.00 JUST FOR THE DIAGNOSIS
The worst part is, many techs come to the wrong conclusion, and guess what, the customer pays more $$$$$ until it is properly repaired.
Don't get caught in the trap, instead, get that scanner(same info) which is cheaper than most shops charge for diagnostic inspection, then research.30+yrs retired offering advice

Old 11-23-2019, 07:57 PM

i have an innova 3160e and i have a tech 2. the tech 2 has 2 way communication with the modules where the innova does not. so the tech 2 can interact with the ABS pump and such where innova can only give a code or erase.

Old 11-23-2019, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
i have an innova 3160e and i have a tech 2. the tech 2 has 2 way communication with the modules where the innova does not. so the tech 2 can interact with the ABS pump and such where innova can only give a code or erase.
You're locked and loaded, however the op isn't. baby step. Scanner to get the code first, tech2, maybe?

Old 11-23-2019, 08:14 PM

the innova 3160e cost me about the same as the Chinese tech 2 i purchased.

Old 11-23-2019, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
the innova 3160e cost me about the same as the Chinese tech 2 i purchased.
There are innova scanners with abs for under $100 and lifetime updates. Every diy should have a scanner!

Old 01-20-2020, 08:19 PM
Default Model?

Originally Posted by hummerz
There are innova scanners with abs for under $100 and lifetime updates. Every diy should have a scanner!
We are having issues with the “traction control failure”, resulting in reduced speed. Husband took to an auto parts place and they identified codes as 1)Throttle Position Sensor 2) Cam Shaft position Sensor 3) All 4-Wheel Speed Sensors 4) Traction Control Module 5) Lateral Excellerator.
At this point, i would appreciate more specifics for the Innova scanner needed to complete our own scans.
This has been an issue for several months so I’ve read through all the 2011 threads. Any assistance is appreciated. PS. I told my husband to change out the battery terminals before anything else! I’ll update if it works tomorrow.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jeffie
We are having issues with the “traction control failure”, resulting in reduced speed. Husband took to an auto parts place and they identified codes as 1)Throttle Position Sensor 2) Cam Shaft position Sensor 3) All 4-Wheel Speed Sensors 4) Traction Control Module 5) Lateral Excellerator.
At this point, i would appreciate more specifics for the Innova scanner needed to complete our own scans.
This has been an issue for several months so I’ve read through all the 2011 threads. Any assistance is appreciated. PS. I told my husband to change out the battery terminals before anything else! I’ll update if it works tomorrow.
Post the codes? C0045 or C0050 included?

Quick Reply: ABS, Traction Control warning lights & no 4H or 4L