Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

7-pin trailer connection extension (Y type)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 09:54 PM
Default 7-pin trailer connection extension (Y type)

I'm building a camper top for the H3T and need to extend the full 7 pin connection into the interior of the bed and still have the factory 7 pin available for towing. A friend used one of these to add a 7 pin connection on his F-250 for pulling a gooseneck, and assures me that "99.95% of 7 pin bumper connectors are the same". I took a quick look under the bumper today but it's a tight fit in there and I'll need to disassemble my factory 7 pin to determine if it indeed is modular and will accept this extension. Compounding the issue is the fact that I have a 315 spare hanging underneath which also cuts down on the available space near the factory 7 pin. So does anyone know for sure if the factory 7 pin can have this extension added to it? And if anyone has added one, where in the bed did you mount it?

Thanks, Jeff

Amazon Amazon

Old 12-01-2022, 07:36 AM

Not sure why you need the full 7 pin extended for a camper.
I can see the need for AUX 12V and Ground but not the rest.

I have this on my H3T for AUX & Extra Reverse lighting it fits inline between the factory connections just fine due to the "7' extension with right-angle plugs for easy installation".
CURT 7' CUSTOM WIRING EXTENSION HARNESS (ADDS 7-WAY RV BLADE TO TRUCK BED, PACKAGED) #56070
Personally, I wouldn't buy that foreign Krap when it has to do with electrical/wiring.
Buying CURT guarantees fit on all plugs, proper wire gauge, proper wire insulation and built to USCAR specifications.
  • Routes a 7-way RV blade socket into truck bed while retaining use of rear socket
  • Simple plug-and-play design eliminates the need for cutting or splicing
  • Allows for easy connection of 5th wheel or gooseneck wiring
  • 7-way connects tail, brake, reverse, turn signals, brakes and auxiliary power
  • 7' extension with right-angle plug for easy installation
  • Spring-loaded dust cover keeps connector clean when not in use
  • Slit loom keeps wires contained and well protected

Last edited by TAINTER; 12-01-2022 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-01-2022, 08:01 AM

Since the camper will cover/hide the 3rd brake light on the cab, the plan is to place an aftermarket LED strip across the back with running lights, L/R blinkers & brakes, and reverse so there's those 4. Add ground and there's 5. Add some floods and there's 12v power, makes 6. So the only one I won't really use is trailer brakes.

Where in the bed did/would you mount the receptacle?

Thanks

Old 12-01-2022, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Nokomis
Where in the bed did/would you mount the receptacle? Thanks
Mine is mounted under the bed.
I wouldn't permanently mount it in the bed.
I would run the 7 pin pigtail to the bed connect your 7 pin harness for the trailer/mods you are doing and heat shrink the entire connection and secure with zip ties.

Old 12-01-2022, 08:57 AM

OK Thanks for the info.