Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

2009 H3 Adventure: P0300/P2135...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2022, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Did you use CRC Electronics Cleaner on the connections to the Accelerator pedal?? Disconnect, spray and let dry, reconnect.

Old 01-10-2022, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Did you use CRC Electronics Cleaner on the connections to the Accelerator pedal?? Disconnect, spray and let dry, reconnect.
I did, however, as with the TB itself, considering how aggressively I cleaned both it (the TB) and the pigtail connections yesterday, in hindsight I should probably go do that to the pedal connections now. Will do so and then report back any changes.

And thanks!

Old 01-10-2022, 04:31 PM

P2101 trouble code definition

Throttle Actuator Control Motor Circuit Range/Performance

What the P2101 code means

P2101 is an OBD-II generic code for the engine control module (ECM) detecting the throttle actuator control (TAC) went out of the range of the circuit causing an open circuit to be detected in the TAC motor.

What causes the P2101 code?

• The engine control module (ECM) signal returns from the TAC is an open circuit.
  • The TAC motor wires are cross wired causing an open circuit to the ECM.
  • Harness or connector has an open circuit or the connector is loose.

What are the symptoms of the P2101 code?

• The Check Engine Light will be illuminated and the code is set in ECM memory as a fault.
  • The engine will not accelerate and no throttle response will happen.
  • The engine will idle and that is all. The idle may be lower or higher than normal.

How does a mechanic diagnose the P2101 code?

• Scans codes and documents the code in the ECM
  • Diagnoses the code as per the manufacturer's pinpoint test to verify the TAC signal
  • Operates the accelerator pedal while monitoring throttle position sensors and TAC operation
  • Checks the harness and connection to the TAC visually for problems and connector is on
  • Tests the TAC as per the manufacturer’s specified pinpoint test

Common mistakes when diagnosing the P2101 code?

• Failing to clear ECM codes after the P2101 codes are fixed

Old 01-11-2022, 10:24 AM

@hummerz ... thanks for the 2101 details. Very informative.

So... after "aggressively" cleaning the throttle pedal harness connections, clearing the fault codes and then re-running the diagnostic tool am still getting the 2101 error. I've ordered a replacement TB (GM 12694877) and TB/Manifold Seal (GM 12575463), and am thinking about the Pedal/Travel Sensor Assy (GM 25955673) as well as it is not terribly expensive. The output on the diagnostic tool from the Pedal D/Pedal E sensors are consistent with what I've read they should be, so while I can't rule it out completely, it is at the bottom of the list of possible causes.

Anyway, fingers crossed that it is the TB and not the harness as I can't begin to imagine what a nightmare that would be to replace.

Old 01-11-2022, 06:52 PM

Did you remove the Torque Pro?

Old 01-11-2022, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Did you remove the Torque Pro?
I have not... is there something better that I should be using?

Old 01-12-2022, 11:31 AM

New TB arrived today:

Other than going thru the "re-learn" procedure after everything is buttoned back up, is there anything else I need to know before I head to the garage and install it?

Old 01-12-2022, 08:13 PM

Done.

Runs like new... Thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated.

Old 01-13-2022, 03:40 PM

Nice work! Did you take the cover off the old 1 and inspect(per TSB's above)?

Old 01-14-2022, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Nice work! Did you take the cover off the old 1 and inspect(per TSB's above)?
I did... although the experience I had getting the TP Sensor Cover removed was nothing like what was suggested by the bulletins.

It was quite the battle, and the cover ended up cracking in several locations as the drive slot which fits over the end of the throttle shaft refused to disengage:

Not really an issue I suppose as both bulletins call for the cover to be replaced, and given the low cost of the entire OEM throttle body I'm not sure why anyone would go thru this process unless there were absolutely no other options.

Quick Reply: 2009 H3 Adventure: P0300/P2135...