Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

2008 H3 Keyless remote limited or no connectivity

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 02:02 PM
Default 2008 H3 Keyless remote limited or no connectivity

I am having a problem with my 2008 Hummer H3 keyless entry remote

The remote door entry is intermittent I also was experiencing TPM codes. Last year after crimping and re-routed the existing BCM Antenna, the problem was resolved, however the same problem (not working, intermittent, short range) has resurfaced. My recent attempt to crimp the antenna connector (to make a tighter fit), and again re-route the antenna to protrude up through the passenger dash molding, has had limited success. This time I removed the proprietary (plastic) retaining clip from the antenna wire and attached it directly to the post on the BCM PC board. I thought a more direct fit would help, (Eh?). After testing, the key fob, the transmitter has limited range; its battery strength is also 3.24 volts. I have searched the internet for a replacement antenna (Part # 25792116) to no avail (always Out of Stock or Discontinued). I found another antenna online (Part # Antenna Assembly - R/CON Door Locking RCVR) Part Number: 25845987 Supersession(s): 25845987; 15850014) for a 2007 Monte Carlo that looks the same and I was wondering if it will work? But, is this problem more likely a malfunction in the programming (requiring a Dealer Flash) or is it possibly a BCM hardware problem? I saw there was a GM Bulletin posted somewhere that mentioned something like this? Obviously I don’t want to spend a lot of money at the Dealer if I don’t have to, so any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Old 01-08-2024, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome Martin, I MOVED this for you to the H3 section where ALL H3 Tech Questions go.

Do you have a sunroof? If so, has your passenger side floor ever been wet? If so, that may have damaged the BCM, or instilled corrosion and compromise to it and its harness.

IMHO you are chasing the OEM fob function down a Rabbit Hole. You could buy a replacement BCM/reprogram it or try the one you have. Pull the BCM and clean the board and play with another antenna, etc... and still get nowhere.

Better off installing an Aftermarket remote entry & start that all have far better range than the OEM fobs ever did and the added feature of remote start.

Old 01-08-2024, 05:45 PM
Default 2008 H3 Keyless remote ...

I went down the sunroof rabbit hole years back. Followed all the tips I found - still had a leak. It was only after I had to replace the windshield wiper motor that I discovered the actual source of my leak. One of the proprietary plastic clips that holds the plastic molding in place (above the wiper motor components, linkage etc.) had a dry-rotted rubber seal. The hole it fits in is located directly above the glove box. I replaced it and sealed it as a precaution with silicone (problem solved). Regardless, I removed the BCM, checked and cleaned the connections including the PCB, visually nothing looked corroded. Still as you say - can be the problem. I've always shied away from remote starts and I'm unfamiliar with how they work / install. How would this help my problem? Does it eliminate the existing key fob(s) altogether? Can you recommend one? Thanks Doc.

QUOTE=Doc Olds;406059]Welcome Martin, I MOVED this for you to the H3 section where ALL H3 Tech Questions go.

Do you have a sunroof? If so, has your passenger side floor ever been wet? If so, that may have damaged the BCM, or instilled corrosion and compromise to it and its harness.

IMHO you are chasing the OEM fob function down a Rabbit Hole. You could buy a replacement BCM/reprogram it or try the one you have. Pull the BCM and clean the board and play with another antenna, etc... and still get nowhere.

Better off installing an Aftermarket remote entry & start that all have far better range than the OEM fobs ever did and the added feature of remote start.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-09-2024, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

How would it apply? I have seen people on here over time invest more and more cabbage in trying to get the not so great OEM type fobs to work and still have issues.

You would stop wasting time & $ chasing that rabbit = OEM fobs that had a short range and only unlock/lock the doors. Throw those out and use the new fobs that come with your new remote start/entry system that has its own antenna, 2-3Xs the range, and is all NEW. Problem solved for a known amount of $ (you pick whatever brand and installer you want) with the added feature.

Kinda like spending money on 16 year old washer or dryer vs buying new....

Good luck.