Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

2007 H3 power side mirror how to partial rebuild vs replace

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 09:06 AM
Default 2007 H3 power side mirror how to partial rebuild vs replace

Does your side power mirror(s) get stuck or only work in one direction or do an intermittent combination of both. These mirrors have two motors housed together in what is called an actuator. One motor controls movement horizontal the other controls vertical. If you can hear both motors operate when you use the driver's adjustment switch this could help you save some money. My 2007 H3 power mirror actuator is wired so it cannot be unplugged and then unscrewed and replaced. I would have to remove the entire mirror assembly by removing the door panel then replace it with a new or used complete mirror assembly. I searched for just a 2007 H3 replacement actuator but only complete mirror assemblies would come up for around $230 and up(new). This made no sense to me as there are a lot of vehicles and if I am not mistaken some hummer models that these actuators can be replaced/rebuilt but of course not my 2007 H3. So, delivered for $62.67(GM PARTS XPERTS)I found an actuator that looked like mine except that it plugs into the back. I tried to use the complete actuator by using a plug that I happened to have but it would not operate correctly. I tried EVERY combination of wire connection with the best result being the horizontal working as it should but the vertical worked ONLY in reverse. So, I decided since both my motors worked that I would see if the internals could be interchanged. Yes, they did easily interchange with no issue. You can see in the picture I am pointing to the two parts that failed/wore out if you have every replaced the sunroof motor gear that curved center will look familiar. I changed out EVERY part except the motors and it works perfectly no more horizontal dead spot. I also bought the chrome mirror cover set for $61 delivered so to refresh the passenger mirror $62.67 for an actuator plus that sides cover out of the $61 is $30.50 totals $93.17 all in. I cut the wires when I tried to do the complete actuator swap that ended with the unacceptable horizontal reverse result. If I had known I was going to do just the internals swap I would have unscrewed the actuator so I could lay it flat, then do the internals swap leaving the wires attached. I could do this again now in about 15 minutes while in no hurry. The actuator I bought is a right side which only matters if I was swapping actuators. If doing the internal swap, you can use any side actuator you want as the internals are not side specific. The part number I used is 25808704 right side. To remove the mirror manually tilt it down vertical so when looking down you can see inside the housing and behind the mirror and then carefully grasp the top of mirror and pull up NOT out. It will release so do not man handle it you could break it or scuff your fingers on mirror housing.