Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

2007 h3

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 05:45 PM
Default 2007 h3

Hi all!

I'm new to the site and wondering if anyone has some good instructions on how to replace my hood vent. I'm the 3rd owner and didn't know about the recall until after it blew off in a flash on a stormy day on the highway. Thankfully no one was injured! Anyways, I found out that previous owners had already had the 'recall' work done so I ordered new parts. Needless to say - nothing was left behind - not even any adhesive, which really perplexed me as it seems that some residue would be left behind if it was affixed properly after the recall.

I bought a black stock vent hood and a full piece chrome overlay w/handles. I'd like to make sure it doesn't come off again though. Wondering if I should drill 4 holes in my hood and get longer screws/bolts to affix it clear up through to the handles or not bother.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:25 PM

Go ahead and drill away, if that will make you sleep better at night? Sweet dreams are made of this:

Old 03-19-2020, 11:34 PM

I might! My hood definitely doesn't look like yours. Yours doesn't have any slits in it for a louver. Did it originally?

Old 03-20-2020, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like someone cut your hood for better cooling. The black plastic louver was just a fake applied to the hood. It served no purpose.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by 4XGirl
I might! My hood definitely doesn't look like yours. Yours doesn't have any slits in it for a louver. Did it originally?
I understand what you are saying. The normal H3 hood had 4 "slits" as you call them for the feet of the louver to go through the hood.
Some with hood handles have attached the handle bolts through the hood as an added measure to keep the louver on the hood.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Chrome overlay with chrome handles...... ????? When I bought my 09 the prior owner put on a chrome louver, a ripped the chit off the hood and it was glued down like insanity.

Last edited by Doc Olds; 03-20-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

I drilled through the hood and put the black spare louver I had on the hood and through bolted to the black SMA hood handles on top of the OEM louver. No adhesive and can be removed at any time by unscrewing 4 bolts.

I have no idea how the chrome faux handles versions are connected to the overlay.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:08 PM

I realize it serves no purpose, but the factory hood has slits in it for the factory hood vent so I want to put it back on and just want to make sure it stays put.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:27 PM

The chrome overlay w/handles attaches with provided 3M double sided tape to the original black plastic hood vent. Don't really want to buy a new hood w/no slits so replacing the parts and hoping for the best that they stay put with additional 3M tape as suggested by several businesses in our area.

Old 03-20-2020, 06:02 PM

leave it off it serves no purpose. your hood looks great.

Quick Reply: 2007 h3