Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

2006 Hummer H3 over heating to 3/4 when parked.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 02:51 PM

The reservoir on the H3 is an expansion tank. 230 is above recommended operating temp. Infrared thermometer is a great tool to check for restrictions and/or water pump impeller failure.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by nakota13
When does the reservoir come into play? When measuring temp at 230°, still no water exchange with reservoir. Just wanting to make sure truck won't get too hot with the Texas heat coming up.
What PSI cap are you using? Each psi raises boiling point of water by 3* and if you are using a 50/50 coolant-water mix the starting boiling temp is raised to 223* in open air.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
I would not drive my vehicle if the temp gauge hit 3/4 unless I ruled out the fact that the gauge was inaccurate. Use a scanner, infrared thermometer, etc.. to find the actual temp. IMO, 210 is the optimal temp. The coolant system is designed to keep the engine at a near constant temperature. If the temp is to cold it affects fuel economy and performance. If the temp is to hot, engine/trans parts overheat and get damaged. When my '07 was operating 1/2- 3/4, I replaced the T-stat and installed fresh coolant. Now 12yrs old and it still stays at 1/2 or slightly above/below that mark. Btw, always make sure the radiator fins are clean, spray them with a garden hose on high pressure, to clean out any debris.
when new i put screen door screen in front. never any debris
its always under 1/2 hot idle in july

Old 06-04-2019, 09:59 AM

Great info I was having same problem after I replaced my radiator it use to be half way before now it gets close to 3/4 and I was getting worried

Old 09-17-2019, 01:24 PM

How exactly do you do that with the infrared thermagigger, I have one and would like to check my waterpump

Old 09-17-2019, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

I already told you in another thread that an Infared Thermometer is NOT going to measure anything other than surface temp. The outside surface temp of a coolant hose, water pump, T stat Housing, etc...... is not an accurate representation of what the temp of the coolant is inside.

So to be precise, you are exactly not going to be able to do that with your thingamajigger.

I also asked that you avoid digging up OLD threads. This place has some rules, that is one of them. Please avoid that from here out.

Search and read, avoid tacking some comment on any old thread, just no reason to do it. There is a plethora of old threads here from paranoid people that think they might be overheating because they saw the temp gauge go to 3/4. That would be wrong. Search and read for yourself.

Old 09-28-2019, 01:48 PM
Default I think it should be a recall on the temp problem

If we are all having same issues. How can we get it to be a recall...
Originally Posted by nakota13
My question is, if it's not over heating at the 3/4 mark, why did it go higher after 12 years of running at 1/2 mark? Also, shouldn't there be a change in the reservoir? We have replaced thermostat, radiator, temp coolant sensor, fan clutch and a couple of freeze plugs and nothing has changed the level of the reservoir. And, we somehow got green antifreeze this last time, but it's still orange at temp sensor and reservoir. Just don't understand. At least I don't smell it anymore.

Old 09-28-2019, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mommyof3
If we are all having same issues. How can we get it to be a recall...
I'm not having a problem?
Btw, last I checked, Hummer is still out of business!

Old 09-30-2019, 07:43 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by hummerz
I'm not having a problem?
Btw, last I checked, Hummer is still out of business!
GM is still responsible for the Hummers they produced. Problem is after all the miles put on these trucks it will be hard to convince the NTSB that there's a systemic issue that would require a recall.

Old 07-09-2021, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jovanny
Great info I was having same problem after I replaced my radiator it use to be half way before now it gets close to 3/4 and I was getting worried

same here, i just switched out my radiator and its actually going more than 3/4th. I live in vegas and it makes it so much worse.

Quick Reply: 2006 Hummer H3 over heating to 3/4 when parked.