Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

08 H3 misfire and excessive oil from resonator hose

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 10:22 PM
Default 08 H3 misfire and excessive oil from resonator hose

I have a new to me (3 days) 08 h3 160k miles, it was barely running when I bought it, it has a Jasper tag under hood with mileage wrote on it 139750. It had 3 codes P0014, P0106, and P0300 after testing and searching found camshaft actuator screens were plugged and appeared to be original so I replaced it, and Map sensor failed test so I replaced it when I did missing got better and codes changed to P0303 misfire cylinder 3, pulled coil pack switched with number 2, removed plug it was smashed, crimped closed and rough, check top of piston with mirror, installed new plug cleared codes test run and it started pouring oil past hose on resonator box, and into intake and the P0303 still active, I dont have a full scanner to test injectors etc with so I'm looking for further advice.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by EODnut
I have a new to me (3 days) 08 h3 160k miles, it was barely running when I bought it, it has a Jasper tag under hood with mileage wrote on it 139750. It had 3 codes P0014, P0106, and P0300 after testing and searching found camshaft actuator screens were plugged and appeared to be original so I replaced it, and Map sensor failed test so I replaced it when I did missing got better and codes changed to P0303 misfire cylinder 3, pulled coil pack switched with number 2, removed plug it was smashed, crimped closed and rough, check top of piston with mirror, installed new plug cleared codes test run and it started pouring oil past hose on resonator box, and into intake and the P0303 still active, I dont have a full scanner to test injectors etc with so I'm looking for further advice.
Oh wow! Looks like a barbarian tried adjusting the plug gap on some gravel. :/

I suggest pulling the remaining plugs and inspect those, as well. Let us know what those look like. Any damage seen on the piston? Here's a cheap inspection camera attachment for a phone: https://amzn.to/3x5BjpQ you could use to look at the top of the pistons.

Also, I suggest checking for spark on each of them. This can be done with a recessed plug tester or even a test probe (negative to battery negative and probe to plug conductor while plug is in the coil boot and not touching any other ground). There's a recessed plug test kit with a noid set for checking injector pulse, if you're interested in doing so: https://amzn.to/3iFGhpx

Nice work so far! Keep us updated.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dylan Rogers
Oh wow! Looks like a barbarian tried adjusting the plug gap on some gravel. :/

I suggest pulling the remaining plugs and inspect those, as well. Let us know what those look like. Any damage seen on the piston? Here's a cheap inspection camera attachment for a phone: https://amzn.to/3x5BjpQ you could use to look at the top of the pistons.

Also, I suggest checking for spark on each of them. This can be done with a recessed plug tester or even a test probe (negative to battery negative and probe to plug conductor while plug is in the coil boot and not touching any other ground). There's a recessed plug test kit with a noid set for checking injector pulse, if you're interested in doing so: https://amzn.to/3iFGhpx

Nice work so far! Keep us updated.
Thanks, I have noid testers and spark tester for recessed plugs just never bought inspection camera. Pulled other plugs all are gapped between .042-.043 with no damage, I'm going to do compression test and leak down test and will advise.

Old 06-09-2021, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

You have a blocked valve cover port where the resonator hose connects which is likely from low compression on #3 or more cylinders allowing excessive blow by.

The #3 plug was dropped or damaged before the prior owner installed it, that cylinder was not firing properly and built up excessive unburned fuel which roached the rings allowing oil to bypass and be forced out.

Old 06-09-2021, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
You have a blocked valve cover port where the resonator hose connects which is likely from low compression on #3 or more cylinders allowing excessive blow by.

The #3 plug was dropped or damaged before the prior owner installed it, that cylinder was not firing properly and built up excessive unburned fuel which roached the rings allowing oil to bypass and be forced out.
Doc, can you explain a bit further? If a valve cover port was blocked how could oil be getting thru it? You are saying oil is coming from the crankcase passing by the rings and into the combustion chamber then thru the (exhaust?) valves?

Old 06-10-2021, 10:17 AM

Ok so I did compression test this morning 155 on #1, 155 on #2, 0 on #3, 150 on #4, and 152 on #5 so either ring broke and chewed up plug or something let go the needle doesn't even bounce on #3. Does anyone know if Jasper warranty stays with engine or the only original person who purchased engine?

Old 06-10-2021, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Justinh
Doc, can you explain a bit further? If a valve cover port was blocked how could oil be getting thru it? You are saying oil is coming from the crankcase passing by the rings and into the combustion chamber then thru the (exhaust?) valves?
Instead of allowing oil mist through and be reburned it is plugged so that only liquid crud passes the blockage and runs/drips into the intake vacuum. Think wet towel, liquid can slowly pass through, but smoke/air has a difficult time because it gets trapped in the liquid soaked towel.

Blowby goes every direction, it blows by worn rings on compression and intake strokes causing the crankcase is being pressurized and that pressure has to get let out where ever/how ever ... carrying with it oil, carbon deposits, unburned fuel, dust, etc..... Causes crud in the intake vacuum and/or smoke out the exhaust and fouls cats. That is how the story goes.

Old 06-10-2021, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by EODnut
Does anyone know if Jasper warranty stays with engine or the only original person who purchased engine?
Look Here: JASPERŽ Limited Nationwide Warranty

Old 06-10-2021, 05:21 PM

Thanks, Doc!

Old 06-10-2021, 05:34 PM

According to Jasper the warranty stays with the engine. But this engine was installed in 2016 so no warranty

Quick Reply: 08 H3 misfire and excessive oil from resonator hose