Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

06 H3 Stops in a slow Left turn

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 03:38 AM
Angry 06 H3 Stops in a slow Left turn

New here but far from new to working on vehicles.

I have an issue with my 2006 H3 w/ 4l60e trans, binding on left turns in the forward motion and sometimes in reverse. I just replaced the entire front end hub to hub. Cv joint on driveshaft and new U-joints (u joints on rear shaft as well), rack bushings, upper and lower control arms, inner and outer tie rods, end links, shocks, axles, hubs, brake pads and rotors, front diff fluid, dif bracket bushings, TC fork upgrade, TC with proper fluid and level, rear diff fluid, rebuilt transmission. the only thing i can think of that was NOT replaced is the encoder motor. I even did the engine mounts, trans mount and front dif crossmember mount. Alignment was done and everything is correct to include Thrust angle
So, with all of that info....what's your thoughts on my issue.
VEHICLE IS NOT IN 4L OR 4LOCK. I have gone through all the games with changing gears.
Recently i did hear what i think was the TC chain popping or snapping if i pushed the throttle pedal down slightly while vehicle was having this issue.

THIS ISSUE WAS PRESENT BEFORE ANY WORK WAS COMPLETED. I thought it would have gone away after the major work was completed.

I have NOT removed the front diff cover to inspect.

Thank you in advance

Old 09-14-2020, 11:09 AM

1. Shift from 4Hi to 4 Hi lock to 4LOW (in neutral of course) about 5 or 7 times. You should hear the changes. See if that helped.
2. Once in 4Hi drive backward steering left and right for 10-15 feet. See if that helped.
3. Remove the tcase encoder and manually shift into 4HI. If that doesn't work your Tcase needs to come out and be rebuilt with a new shift fork and reassembled correctly. Make sure you don't break the pin on the selector shaft!!!

Old 09-14-2020, 12:31 PM

I’ve done all the dash button game.
but this does not answer why the TCase would change a gear without pushing a button.

I should just replace the encoder motor like I did everything else.
according to every posting here you all say it’s the shift fork. But the fork and synchro were replaced.

Old 09-14-2020, 01:21 PM

Well I have rebuilt several Tcases form H3/H3Ts. If the Tcase was not rebuilt properly you will either be stuck in 4Hi or 4HI lock and changing the encoder motor won't help if the internals are not assembled properly.

Old 09-14-2020, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah............ what he said.

What Half Shaft Axles did you use? Some Asian made rebuilds/replacements are actually too short which leads to pressure on the splines at the diff side and may eventually pull out of its detent and can mimmick binding before it completely fubars. Improperly aligned splines caused by insufficient insertion into the diff end can make a popping sound as well. A member here had the half shaft pop out of the diff side on the highway and made an ugly mess.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by AutoshopTeacher
I’ve done all the dash button game.
but this does not answer why the TCase would change a gear without pushing a button.
Encoder motor issues can and will cause the transfer case to shift without any buttons being pushed.