Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Winch options??

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:00 AM
Default Winch options??

Hi everyone,

Just got my first Hummer last week! 04 H2 sweet. Anyway, I was wondering what everybody is doing for a front bumper winch mount. No hitch mounts. I've seen the warn and then saw this. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/pts/609903594.html Anyone have any thoughts if something like this is the way to go? Are there other companies out there making aftermarket winch bumpers? This thing looks pretty beefy, any ideas on what company it might be? Thanks for any info

Old 03-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Winch options??

Warn, Mile Marker and others make winches. Plenty of choices. The Warn set up for the H2 works very well but it is a hitch mount set up. Nice thing is you can move it to the rear of the truck also if you wire it up that way. That is a nice looking set up? Wonder what it weighs?

Old 03-18-2008, 09:14 AM

That does look nice. I wonder how much Approach angle you would lose too. Im sure it has to way a ton. I would really have to see it on the truck before I would make the purchase.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:17 AM

Yeah, that looks like a massive setup. The hitch mount is a nice option (IMO), it can be removed easily, and does not weigh a ton.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:01 AM

why would you rule out the hitch mounted winch? access to it is great, especially when you're in something where you need it. like has already been mentioned, it can easily be moved to the rear. if the stability and strength is a question, i've had it run through 2 ****** blocks and an 18000 lb pull pall trying to pull an H1 sideways on ice - moved the H1 about 3 inches before the pull pall broke. the winch and pin held up just fine. if i had the nads i could probably lift the front of the truck off the ground with it. it has a minimal impact on your approach angle, but i've only found that to be a problem in very few instances. for me it's the best option - although i do bitch about it everytime i want to open the hood when i have the winch mounted . . . . . [>:]

Old 03-18-2008, 12:10 PM

Hey Thanks for the advice. I do like the idea of being able to mount in front or rear as needed, but I've got a bad back so not having to lift the winch everytime a need it would be nice. It does seem you will give up a little bit of approach angle. Only if the receiver winch is mounted I would think it sticking out may pose more of a problem. You might lose more approach angle in some tight spots? Nose first into a washout or something and no room to insert the winch or it starts digging in long before the bumper would. Also loose terrain and steep grades might make it tricky lugging the winch into place. Just trying to cover my bases. Certainly much cheaper to just get a cradle mount. Thanks again

Old 03-18-2008, 12:56 PM

i've been in lots of tight spots, and only a few places in Moab gave me problems with the cradle mount hitting first. it is a bit heavy though, and lugging it on and off could be a problem if you have a bad back. good luck with your choice.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:29 PM

Thanks again shortbus. Does anyone have any experience with the Warn or Adventure Accessories bumpers? These are the only two I can find that offer a permanent winch mount. The latter seeming rediculously over priced! Also, how many use the front receiver to aid in trailering? I haven't tried it but it seems being able to steer at the hitch end would make a boat ramp or driveway seem way bigger than it was in the rearview.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Personally I see no real advantage to backing something from the front. Visabilty suffers more than you think it would. You have nouse for your mirrors and there is no easy way to see where the trailer is pointing vs backing with the mirrors.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Never tried it. Can't help with that.