Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

When can I use 4 hi lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 05:18 PM
Default When can I use 4 hi lock

Got a 2003 hummer h2 and here in alberta it’s super snowy and the temperature is -40. The roads are only partially clean, some places will be relatively dry and some will have an inch of ice/snow caked on. 4 hi was been fine but I was wondering if I could use 4 hi lock. I read something about there needs to be a little bit of slip and I noticed when I drove into a parkade it was acting differently during turning so I went back to 4 hi. So can I use 4 hi lock without any troubles as long as I’m not driving on the highway or full dry pavement? Or is it only supposed to be used off-roading or when I’m stuck?

thanks

Old 01-16-2020, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by apollo18
Got a 2003 hummer h2 and here in alberta it’s super snowy and the temperature is -40. The roads are only partially clean, some places will be relatively dry and some will have an inch of ice/snow caked on. 4 hi was been fine but I was wondering if I could use 4 hi lock. I read something about there needs to be a little bit of slip and I noticed when I drove into a parkade it was acting differently during turning so I went back to 4 hi. So can I use 4 hi lock without any troubles as long as I’m not driving on the highway or full dry pavement? Or is it only supposed to be used off-roading or when I’m stuck?

thanks
If you have a "slip" on 1" of snow, GET NEW TIRES!

Last edited by hummerz; 01-16-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 07:12 PM

Ahah yeah the tires are actually brand new, I know that there’s tons of ice in some places and that’s what basically makes the truck slip. So I was wondering if I could just daily drive in 4 lock

Old 01-16-2020, 07:32 PM

eh? I've replaced my "actually brand new" tires multiple times @ no charge, over the years(mfg concession). I now have the tires to drive on with confidence, I can drive through 2ft of snow without a problem, and never needed to use the lockers.
Btw, nothing will help you on ice.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
eh? I've replaced my "actually brand new" tires multiple times @ no charge, over the years(mfg concession). I now have the tires to drive on with confidence, I can drive through 2ft of snow without a problem, and never needed to use the lockers.
Btw, nothing will help you on ice.
What tires do you run now?

Old 01-16-2020, 08:01 PM

Grabber AT2
Even for a more aggressively designed tread, the tire runs exceptionally quiet. In addition, it makes an excellent tire for snow and ice. The biting edges of the tire produce excellent traction on snow, and grip tight on icy roads.

Old 04-15-2020, 10:54 PM

I have an ‘03 H2 and I live in New England. I don’t have any problems in the winter. . . . Unless it snows 12”+ while I’m out. Then getting UP my drive is a PITA! It’s very steep and paved. These wide tires are like snowshoes. They don’t pack all the way through. Wife has done 2 180’s and wound up back out in the street!
If you could TURN OFF T/C then it would be great. As soon as you can get a tire spinning, it puts on the brake for that wheel! However, after watching a couple of DMax conversions, I’m thinking about putting a switch in that will disable T/C, allowing you to be able to spin the tires to clear the treds and dig down. Much cheaper than a front locker.
MikeH

Old 04-16-2020, 09:05 AM

Yes you can and that is exactly what it is designed for, semi-slick conditions as snow, boat launches, etc........

Rusty_03 are you engaging the TC2 function which will allow more wheel spin prior to the TC taking control?

Neal