Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Water leak into driver/passenger floors

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 11:58 PM
Default Water leak into driver/passenger floors

I have an issue with H2 water leaking into the driver and passenger floor under carpet. Noticed this right after we brought it home from purchase at the dealer. Purchase sticker on window said as is no warranty but they made one attempt to fix it for us anyway and gave us a loaner vehicle. I know this had to be a pre existing condition from the lot but I just didnt see it when i bought the vehicle. I tried telling them to look on Youtube for possible reasons but they acted like they didnt wanna hear it. The sales person told me they could reverse the deal and give me my money back if they couldnt fix. It sat at their mechanics for 2 weeks. Sure enough when they gave it back to me I tested it and it still leaks. I Called and told them and now they are getting aggrivated and are telling me ive had the car too long and they cant give me my money back but will try to fix it again. For this reason. Feel like they intentinally stalled the process.They act like they dont wanna spend the money it takes to actually fix it and that one place told them theyve had these problems before and dont wanna even try messing with it for no less than 2 grand so they sent it to this mechanic who isnt getting it fixed. Its at his place again now for the second attempt. I am not confident. What do you guys think?

Old 03-19-2019, 07:20 AM

Its an H2 so that is expected and it is going to leak. Not a matter of it, but when and where from. There are a lot of threads on here and other sites on all of the common places to check but (in order of, in my opinion, how common) its either one or more of the roof lights, sunroof drains clogged, door weatherstripping, under the cowl around the fresh air intake, roof seam under the rails, roof antenna (s). It can be tedious to really narrow it down and would be quickest to have two people. One outside with a hose while someone is inside crawling all around to find where it is getting in.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:53 AM

Do you see any drip residue from your driver grab handle on the A-piller? The residue would most likely be coming from the area where the two caps are. If so, most likely the front corner clearance light and as Mixman explained; there are lots of right-ups on the forum on how to fix it. I would start there and then follow the list mixman called out.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:39 PM

No. I cant see any water dripping down from anywhere.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:56 PM

Never trust your vehicle with the mechanics at a dealership. If they manage to figure anything out, which I doubt, they'll try to screw you or charge you a ridiculous amount, or half *** fix it to where you will still end having to fix it yourself.

How to fix the leak from the marker lights:

How to fix the leak from underneath the cowl:

How to fix the leak from the weather stripping:

Also, as MixMan said, open your sunroof (if you have one) and pour water down your drain tubes, make sure the water empties out properly near the front tires. If they don't empty out and backup into the truck, then the tubes are clogged and need to be cleaned.

I'm far from a mechanic and I've been able to fix all the leaks I had in my H2 by myself. It has not leaked a drop since.
Honestly the most annoying and time consuming part is having to pull up the kick plates , sop up all the water, and blow dry the carpets and underpadding. Fixing the leaks is the easy part.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:11 PM

I have a leak on the passenger side and traced it to the windshield - - if you are facing the hood, it would be on the left passenger bottom corner - the seal had popped, also appears that it goes up about 5 to 8 inches. Easy fix for me - I plan to buy a silicone glass sealant and DIY it. I washed my truck and figured it was related when I went to vacuum inside. Other areas that could be an issue - under roof rack - corner mounts may accumulate enough dirt - over time rust spots could develop. If it's not your windshield or door seals I would check the roof area - including the small lights. I hope this helps.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:16 PM

Great job!

Old 03-25-2019, 09:20 AM

Hello, I've had a similar issue with my H2. Leaking PS and DS foot wells. I believe I have some bad weather stripping, but I have not attempted to DIY this yet. Anyone know where I can get some quality replacement weather stripping?

Old 03-25-2019, 10:00 AM

Much of the weatherstripping can still be purchased through the dealer, ebay, online, etc. However, if the weather stripping is not ripped or damaged, but has rather shrunk or disjointed, you can remove your existing weather stripping and clean it well, both inside/outside along with where weatherstripping mounts and then re-pinch the grab channels and re-install by re-stretching the weatherstripping back in to place and taping with painters tape for a few days so that the weatherstripping relearns it's elasticity and location. Warm days and/or a heat gun on low setting might help as well.

I have done this to several H2s on the exact weatherstrip you are showing. Often you have to pull pretty good from the bottom of the A-pillar to the top of the A-pillar so that the weatherstrip aligns to the indent. Push back the flap that often folds backwards against the door as it's done yours, and hold it with tape. Continue stretching the weather stripping towards the back of rear door and tape there as well. Keep it taped for a few days and it will relearn its form.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by clsimmon
Much of the weatherstripping can still be purchased through the dealer, ebay, online, etc. However, if the weather stripping is not ripped or damaged, but has rather shrunk or disjointed, you can remove your existing weather stripping and clean it well, both inside/outside along with where weatherstripping mounts and then re-pinch the grab channels and re-install by re-stretching the weatherstripping back in to place and taping with painters tape for a few days so that the weatherstripping relearns it's elasticity and location. Warm days and/or a heat gun on low setting might help as well.

I have done this to several H2s on the exact weatherstrip you are showing. Often you have to pull pretty good from the bottom of the A-pillar to the top of the A-pillar so that the weatherstrip aligns to the indent. Push back the flap that often folds backwards against the door as it's done yours, and hold it with tape. Continue stretching the weather stripping towards the back of rear door and tape there as well. Keep it taped for a few days and it will relearn its form.
I will try this out... it seems like it has shrunk over the years and doesn't quite want to get in the upper corner very well. Do I need to remove anything to remove the weather stripping?

Quick Reply: Water leak into driver/passenger floors