Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Voltage drop issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2022, 09:54 AM
C57

I'll try to find it. It's about the key being stuck in the ignition and a no start after the engine has been ran already. I'll see if I can find it again.

Old 09-09-2022, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by C57
I'll try to find it. It's about the key being stuck in the ignition and a no start after the engine has been ran already. I'll see if I can find it again.
THanks
​​​​​​or even the title and I'll find it..
The fuse panel is pretty new, yesterday a sprayed contact cleaner all under the fuse box and on all the connectors the fuse panel sits in.
my ignition thought keeps feeling wonky . The key comes out whatever position its in. But I replaced the ignition switch months ago.
When I turn the truck off it turns off, when I open the door everything goes off.
I don't want to jump it, cause then it won't come back till who knows

going to go back and start simple. And pull fuses again. My meter at work goes up to 10DCA. Hopefully I get leeway. So I can put new tires and wheels on I found

Old 09-09-2022, 05:02 PM

1. It should be an optima red top, NOT yellow top. Actually no optima at all, as those do not come in the correct series or CCA/ reserve capacity. Issue #1.

2. take the battery to the store and ask for a load drop test to check for bad cells.

3. look for a tracking device if you bought it used from a dealer, and financed it. Those commonly cause this sort of problem.

4. you already checked most of the other stuff I would have checked. If you are not the first owner, It is possible someone screwed around and did a hack job on the wiring harness.

good luck

Last edited by finall; 09-09-2022 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-09-2022, 05:08 PM

What happened when u swapped batteries with your other car? 1st thing to do, right?

Old 09-09-2022, 06:28 PM

I installed an optima red top in '12>> failed in '13. NEVER AGAIN! Only East Penn since!
Optima is overrated/overpriced JUNK!

Old 09-11-2022, 09:40 AM

This has my attention as I also have a 08 and have experienced a parasitic drain issue. One interesting thing about the 08 is it has PCB mounted relays that are made into the fuse box and the load side of the relays are fused after the relay. I didn't have to replace the fuse box but did have concerns that it may be one of the mounted relays that could be shorted.

How did you separate the starter and alternator from the power to the fuse box? On mine the cable goes to the junction near the alternator and cannot be separated if I remember correctly.

GM says that 9.5 to 10 volts are the minimum when cranking, for the battery voltage to drop to that level as quick as you are describing there has to be a large draw or a bad battery.

Neal

Old 09-11-2022, 10:47 AM
C57
Default Off topic

Does the 03 to 07 have the same controls as the 08 for rolling down all the windows automatically from the remote?

Old 09-11-2022, 12:02 PM

Take the guess work out and invest in a battery analyzer, something like a
TOPDON BT200. TOPDON BT200.
this will work as well as most shop "drop-testers" it can measure battery charge, health, internal resistance, cranking amps, ripple current, starter motor, alternator, so does far more than a multimeter could ever do.

Actually I now have 2 battery testers, I bought a new TopDon thinking my old tester had died as the brand new battery on my doorstep read 40% healthy. However the new TopDon also read 40%, still unconvinced I got the battery professionally tested and guess what -> 40%.

A 2nd battery arrived and this one read 50%, so after much wrangling with the supplier I got a 3rd battery sent out and this time it read 100% - amazing !

Infer from this what you will, but now I test batteries 1st will not take a new one on face value, I get the feeling suppliers know most people will test, just saying .....

Actually my supplier recommended an Optima Red Top but taking hummerz advice I avoided the risk (expensive here)

C57 don't believe pre 08 models have that feature..

Old 09-11-2022, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by C57
Does the 03 to 07 have the same controls as the 08 for rolling down all the windows automatically from the remote?
No.... 05-07 do have global windows buttons on the door panel. 03/04 do not. None from 03-07 can roll the windows up/down from the remote fob.

Old 09-11-2022, 02:17 PM
C57

I found it out by accident. If you hold the unlock button down for 5 or 6 seconds, all the windows will roll down. Not sure if that's widely known.

Quick Reply: Voltage drop issue