Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Tired of the oil leaks

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 04:24 PM
Default Tired of the oil leaks

So my H2 has had a drip here and a drip there for some time. I finally tracked it down to the oil cooler lines and a valve cover gasket. So today I installed a oil cooler block off plate and new valve cover gaskets. I added a little color while I was at it. I was extremely happy with how clean the valve train is after 170,000 plus miles.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:32 PM

looks good, that is clean, what oil do you use?

Old 05-17-2020, 08:05 PM

I feel fairly confident that my oil cooler port is leaking as well, why did you block it off instead of replacing gasket/lines.

Old 05-17-2020, 09:34 PM

are you missing manifold bolt towards the firewall?

Old 05-18-2020, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by legerwn
looks good, that is clean, what oil do you use?
99.9999% Mobile 1 synthetic on all oil changes and maybe once a year a half container of Marvel Mystery Oil for a few miles before oil change.

Tim

Old 05-18-2020, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by iwillnc
I feel fairly confident that my oil cooler port is leaking as well, why did you block it off instead of replacing gasket/lines.
A few reasons. The block off plate was a whopping $18, so it was the easiest way to find out if my leak was indeed coming from the oil cooler lines. New lines are upwards of $120 and a pain in the *** to get to for replacement. All I did was disconnect the connection block and threw in the new plate, I left the lines in place for now. I also would have wanted to change over to lines from a newer Hummer with electric fans as I just tried to convert mine but failed because the 2005 lines do not offer the clearance needed for electric fans. I also don't know that an oil cooler is an absolute necessity. These Gen III engines are some of the only LS engines with an external oil cooler so I didn't think it would hurt. My overall temps are really low as it is from the new 3 core radiator. I will probably put new lines on it when and if I go with headers but that's another project.

Tim

Old 05-18-2020, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
are you missing manifold bolt towards the firewall?
Don't think so. I put new knock sensor in it a few years back and had no issues. What are you seeing?

Tim

Old 05-18-2020, 09:33 AM

I think he meant exhaust manifold bolts which don’t need to be removed for the knock sensors. From the picture your rear most exhaust manifold head seems to be missing.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:29 AM

Yes I have a few broken exhaust bolts. I'll get into t hat another day.

Tim

Old 05-18-2020, 10:31 AM

If mine oil lines were bad I would block them off, I don't have the need for the cooler anymore. I love the orange valve covers.

Quick Reply: Tired of the oil leaks