Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Sun Roof Delete

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2021, 04:25 PM
Default Sun Roof Delete

Hi all, new to the forum. I've owned my Hummer H2 for about a month now. Got the cab lights sealed up and the cowl vent cover sealed up so no more leaks from there. But I believe I still have a leak from sun roof, drain tubes seem clear but head liner and floor still getting wet when I test drain. Also the sun roof rattles going down highway, and doesn't close good have to assist with opening and closing. I'm at this point going to completely remove the sun roof. I have ordered a custom aluminum panel to rivet over the big hole in the roof. Going to remove the headliner and add headliner filler where the sun roof cover is. Has anyone else went down this road? In future roof with be Line-x so will cover panel even more.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:46 PM

Old 11-04-2021, 08:13 PM

I have heard of doing a sunroof delete which usually removing the sunroof glass and welding up the hole, then refinishing the roof and changing the headliner. This gives you a hummer without the sunroof option.

Another option would be converting the sunroof to a no-op moonroof. Operate the controls so that the sunroof glass is fully closed to where it is flush with the metal surround, then remove the 4 hex head screws and remove just the glass.
Using a quality seam sealer (like NAPA or 3M run a bead all around where the sunroof glass panel normally sits in then drop the glass in place and re-install the 4 hex bolts and remove fuse 9 and 57 and you should be in good shape,
I don't believe it would rattle anymore and the seam sealer should seal it as well. If nothing else now you will have a moon roof (stationary) and you will save yourself a great deal of time and effort not having to do anything with the headliner.

Another plus would be if in the future you sell the H2 the next owner might actually appreciate the moonroof to nothing at all. (and they still have the option of trying to re-establish the sunroof) Either way should solve your leak issue and give you and easy solution.

Old 11-05-2021, 05:33 AM

This is how I can bond the panel to the roof, great idea.

Originally Posted by hummerz

Old 11-05-2021, 05:41 AM

I do like this idea, it would make reversible. I still will be taking the headliner out, its coming apart near the windshield and pillars.

Originally Posted by H2-SUT
I have heard of doing a sunroof delete which usually removing the sunroof glass and welding up the hole, then refinishing the roof and changing the headliner. This gives you a hummer without the sunroof option.

Another option would be converting the sunroof to a no-op moonroof. Operate the controls so that the sunroof glass is fully closed to where it is flush with the metal surround, then remove the 4 hex head screws and remove just the glass.
Using a quality seam sealer (like NAPA or 3M run a bead all around where the sunroof glass panel normally sits in then drop the glass in place and re-install the 4 hex bolts and remove fuse 9 and 57 and you should be in good shape,
I don't believe it would rattle anymore and the seam sealer should seal it as well. If nothing else now you will have a moon roof (stationary) and you will save yourself a great deal of time and effort not having to do anything with the headliner.

Another plus would be if in the future you sell the H2 the next owner might actually appreciate the moonroof to nothing at all. (and they still have the option of trying to re-establish the sunroof) Either way should solve your leak issue and give you and easy solution.

Old 11-05-2021, 11:45 PM

I cringed when I read your OP post. There is a way to do things right, and then there is your way.

Don't molest your H2. If you really think the water is coming from the sunroof, or that it rattles, and you insist on not fixing it CORRECTLY, then just do this, and leave the fix to the next grateful owner who eventually buys it from you. They will not want some riveted piece of metal and chopped up head liner.

Just use clear silicone sealer on the top outside of the sunroof. First protect the fuzzy rubber seal with some tape, so that the silicone does not destroy it.
Then pull the fuse(s) that operate the sunroof.

Quick, clean, and reversible.

Easy peasy.