Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

squeal and/or pop from front when turning

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 09:51 AM

Hey,

Just a quick update. I've replaced the bearings and the squeal is gone. Pop is still there , going for the upper control arms now.

Cheers.

Old 11-04-2016, 03:40 AM

Replaced the upper control arms. Pop is gone.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Malcolm745
Were the control arms worn? Ball joint and bushing condition? Just curious about any visual cues that might indicate worn parts.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:03 AM

Were the control arms worn? Ball joint and bushing condition? Just curious about any visual cues that might indicate worn parts.
Nothing that could be identified from the outside. I really was just throwing parts at it cause I had no idea when was the last time the front end was replaced by the previous owner. I just wanted the annoying pop gone (i've posted a vid a few posts back). So after I replaced the bearings on both sides the noise was still there. I gave the upper control arms a shot cause thats what helped most people and it's gone. I have no idea if there were any signs that could indicate this symptom as the whole thing was done by my mechanic.

A lot of people were guessing it was the steering box. I'm glad it wasn't because it can get quite pricey.

Best of luck.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Malcolm745
Did you replace the whole assembly or something specific? Part numbers would be great. Mine pops like yours did.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:56 AM

Here is a list of everything that was replaced that day:

2 K620054 Front Upper Control Arm and Ball Joint Assembly
2 K6693 Front Lower Ball Joint
2 K8402 = K8987 = K80631 Front Sway Bar End Link
2 ES3609 Front Outer Tie Rod End
2 ES3488 Front Inner Tie Rod End
1 K6654 Pitman Arm - With 3 Grooves
1 K6535 Idler Arm
1 K6723 Idler Arm Bracket Assembly and Grease Hose

Hope this helps! Let me know.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:31 AM

I had a popping sound when turning as well. After removing the skid plate, replacing the tie-rods and rack and pinion, I found out that it was the actual steering gear box itself. Unfortunately, you can't rule out the gear box.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by achinaghost52
mine does this too, i have had that problem since 05 when we got it. i visually inspected it today, and the black dull paintpainted control arms have what looks like rub marks from the tires on them, so the stock tires seem to be too big, and rub on the arms, that may be the popping.
my stock tires rub on the stabilizer bar on the one side at full left wheel turn when I am parking or trying to get out of a tight spot, looks like the front stabilizer bar is about a half inch off center, I just have to loosen it and slide the bar back to center and tighten the bolts that hold it in place from working it's way too far to the one side.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:03 PM

Hey Mike,

I have the exact same problem. Dealer grabbed the front wheel and shook it around and told me it would cost 1000 to fix. I'm trying to understand what exactly you did to fix this issue. ex. what you replaced etc ,,..

I'm so tired of that rubbing/squeaking noise. thanks!

Old 12-10-2018, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by a.lai6039
Hey Mike,

I have the exact same problem. Dealer grabbed the front wheel and shook it around and told me it would cost 1000 to fix. I'm trying to understand what exactly you did to fix this issue. ex. what you replaced etc ,,..

I'm so tired of that rubbing/squeaking noise. thanks!
If the front wheel can be moved around when lifted off the ground the hub is probably bad. Also check tie rods, tie rod bushings, and pretty much all the other front suspension components down there. How many miles do you have on your rig? I had to replace both my front hubs at 78k because I was getting a bad squeaking on the driver side.

Quick Reply: squeal and/or pop from front when turning