Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

squeal and/or pop from front when turning

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 03:09 PM

i have an 05 h2. during acceleration while turning or going straight, the front wheels feel like they r fighting each other and wobbling. they squeal really loud too. the steering wheel jerks in my hand and the only way to stop it is to let off the gas and ease up the speed. i have 35" tires on 20" rims. can someone explain what may be the problem?

Old 12-21-2010, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by achinaghost52
if you want to get rid of the rubbing. you can get wheel spacers, they basically move your wheels out/extend your axle. i know you can get some that are like 50mm for approx $250 new, and your stock tires are 315mm, so, thats alot. for the H2, i have seen spacers ranging from 30-50mm
But if you install spacers, that's going put more strain on the axle.... YES/NO? I'd LOVE to install a set of spacers. I am sit'n on "24 Pirelli Scorpions that are quite wide. BUT, I LOVE the beefy look. My rims & tires don't really stick out but this would really add to the appeal.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Default Popping grinding

Silly as this sounds I had the same types of noise, I put it on my lift a few times and could not find the problem. No play in front end and the bearings were not making any noise. I ended up lubing the shock bushings with wd40 and the sound went away. I know its lame but it worked. 97,000 miles 03'h2.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Default poping noise,squeil

I had a poping/squil noise when turning and just couldent understand what was going on, just had the oil changed (SYN)2,000 miles ago and I assumed they greased all the fittings at my dealership each time this was done.....

I returned to the dealership and asked my service Rep. about it, he drove my truck and said someone hasent greased the undercarrage for some time and the tie-rods/ball joints, swing tire mount were dry.....

Had them grease all the 18 ports and a few days later all the noises were gone........

I guess the oil change person(who no longer works there) only did half the job and left it, now i check Filters, Grease Fittings and such to make sure they were done,everytime it goes into Hummer for this service.

You shouldent have to check behind people, but thats the way it is anymore, I mark the filters with a Yellow Paint Pen with the date....

Have a Great Day........Rick

Old 08-05-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by hugh jorgan
i have an 05 h2. during acceleration while turning or going straight, the front wheels feel like they r fighting each other and wobbling. they squeal really loud too. the steering wheel jerks in my hand and the only way to stop it is to let off the gas and ease up the speed. i have 35" tires on 20" rims. can someone explain what may be the problem?
It sounds to me that you need a steering staybalizers, they keep the steering from wobbling,shaking with big tires.......

This is what happens when you change tires from the stock ones, your braking is also going to suffer as the larger tires take more pressure to stop the truck.......

The steering pump my be squiling due to a loose belt, tring to turn the oversize tires........

Just my 2 cents..............Rick

Old 08-19-2011, 12:29 AM

I noticed that it helps to move a little farther before turning. Sometimes people that just got their first H2 think that something is wrong and spend uneeded money to fix it.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:11 AM

My 03 was making an awefull groan mostly when I backed up with the wheels turned. Greased all the ports, dropped the skid plates and erplaced and nothing. I pulled the front swaybar off and cleaned and greased the rubber bushing that clamp the sway bar to the frame and that did the trick for me.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:31 PM

I'm really surprised call joints were not mentioned more. Mines making the pop grind. We will see. Ill be swapping the ball joints (I know are bad) and wheel bearings. Ill post up pics. Sounds like its a problem a lot are having. Along with other trouble shooting look at your tire wear. That's an easy indicator. If its wearing funky jack the front end up and try to move the tires in and out. If u have play you have problems.......

Pics to come if I can get time away from everyone else's car and spend some time on mine lol

Old 02-28-2012, 07:34 PM

Just an FYI for all My fellow Hummer Owners, Its not just your hummer that is getting long in the tooth. All 3/4 ton trucks and suvs have these same front end issues. I manage an auto repair facility and I can honestly tell you that most trucks that are high in mileage or have lift kits on them, have front end issues.

Best advise to you is that if you hear noise in the front or feel play in the steering wheel odds are that something is worn or broken in the front end.

I just replaced my upper ball joints, idler and pitman arm after hearing some squeeking for a few weeks. When I finally checked it I was mildly suprised that is was as bad as it was and it didn't feel that bad.

Anywho, Don't hate on the ride, I'd rather be driving my hummer when the next ******* rearends me on the freeway here in L.A.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Default Hubs Replaced

The moaning and squeaking in my H2's front end was worn out hubs. $800.00+labor fixed it.

Quick Reply: squeal and/or pop from front when turning