Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   Hummer H2 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h2-8/)
-   -   squeal and/or pop from front when turning (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h2-8/squeal-pop-front-when-turning-11741/)

shortbus 04-28-2008 10:19 PM

squeal and/or pop from front when turning

a common issue with the H2 is the undercarriage protection making sounds like the suspension is breaking down. if you have squeals, grinding noises or pop sounds from the front end when turningin the first thing to try is to remove the skid plate and transfer case cage from under the vehicle and see if the sound goes away. another common issue is the cage under the transfer case touching the exhaust pipe and creating a vibration that can be felt through the floor board when cruising ~1500 -2000 rpm. another symptom that can be easily verified by removing the undercarriage protection and trying to duplicate the problem.

hollandpj 04-21-2009 03:01 PM

speed hestitaion

does anyone have a fix or know what the problem is when it hesitates or acts like its grapsing for air while driving at 55-60 MPH????? Then it'll shirt down and stop or I will speed up and it stops. But it only does it in between the speeds of 55-60 MPH....

Thanks.

Beast05 04-23-2009 10:44 AM

I have a 2005 H2 and I get a popping sound when I turn but it sounds like it is coming from the rear. Any thoughts?

Thank you

fitman 04-29-2009 03:26 PM

the front end popping ur experiencing/hearing is most probably the bearings. h2's are notorious for this problem.

rgjohnson99 06-08-2009 04:57 PM

replacing front wheel bearings

I seem to have a front wheel bearing problem too. If any of you have replaced your own bearings...how tough a job is it? Any special tools required (like a torque wrench, or other items)? About how long does it take a DIY to do?

Thanks

HumminNBoatin 06-08-2009 09:06 PM

I think I did a "how to" thread on this a couple years ago. Its actually an easy job if you have the right tools. Make sure all your sockets are 1/2" drives. And you have a massive breaker bar.

1. Remove tire
2. Remove Brake Caliper and Rotor and unclip wiring for abs/tc to the hub
3 Remove tie rod end from knuckle to allow for working room
4. Remove 3 or 4 bolts from the back of the knuckle and the hub and it should fall right out.

YOU NEED A BIG A$$ BREAKER BAR. to get most of these bolts loose.

AT6Stick 06-19-2009 04:33 PM

hubs are a common problem but the most likely cause or popping sound is the front crossmember bolts loose. the best fix is to loosen them one at a time and then retighten themwith a powerful air gun when you think they are tight tighten them more. sounds cheezy but it works

TXH2SUT 07-17-2009 03:59 PM

My '05 H2 just started doing the same thing with the popping sound from the front end. I was having trouble consistently duplicating the sound so I took it to the shop. In my case my CV axle is going bad. Or it could be you wheel bearing like the others suggested. Let's hope it's the latter of the 2 for you. At least you can change out a wheel bearing fairly easily. With the CV axle it's around a $500 fix parts and labor.

hollandpj 07-20-2009 12:07 PM

hestitation fixed by changing and cleaning filters, hoses, etc....

Originally Posted by hollandpj (Post 202895)
does anyone have a fix or know what the problem is when it hesitates or acts like its grapsing for air while driving at 55-60 MPH????? Then it'll shirt down and stop or I will speed up and it stops. But it only does it in between the speeds of 55-60 MPH....

Thanks.

hestitation fixed by changing and cleaning filters, hoses, etc

hollandpj 07-20-2009 12:12 PM

H2 steering column problems

has anyone had issues with the steering column vibrating due to fluid leakage ??

I have had the steering column re-filled three times and after about 15,000-20,000 miles you need to do it again and again.....my H2 has 97,000 and getting ready to do it again. HUMMER will not warranty it and it's a consistent problem. What a bad design !!!!!!!!

TXH2SUT 07-23-2009 11:59 PM

"hestitation fixed by changing and cleaning filters, hoses, etc "

I understand that changing a dirty air filter or fuel filter may help the hesitation, but what hoses are you talking about? I don't know of any hoses you can change to fix this.

casper6871 08-22-2009 09:12 AM

Steering colum re filled? please explain

hollandpj 08-24-2009 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by TXH2SUT (Post 206734)
"hestitation fixed by changing and cleaning filters, hoses, etc "

I understand that changing a dirty air filter or fuel filter may help the hesitation, but what hoses are you talking about? I don't know of any hoses you can change to fix this.

Sorry no hoses were changed, only flushed out, etc....H2 runs like a dream now and has 98,000 miles..

hollandpj 08-24-2009 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by casper6871 (Post 207923)
Steering colum re filled? please explain

Steering column has fluid/oil in it which keeps it from vibrating, etc. when you hit a hole, bumps, etc......about every 15,000-20,000 miles you will start feeling the vibration in the steer wheel down to floor board area from the fluid slowly leaking out. I've had this re-filled three times all ready and still can not get through the Hummer Customer Service Main office that it's a bad flaw....and they still will not warranty it with a new solid shaft they have come out with two years ago <I believe.

I have 2003 <I'm the original owner> and it has 98,000 miles on it.

BamaRockHound 09-02-2009 10:53 AM

I too and experiencing the "popping" in the front end while turning and under initial accelleration. Have had it to the dealership twice and though both times it was fixed but I am still having the same issues. Bushings, tie rods have been replaced. It almost feels like flex in the floorpan. Is there a fix or is this something that I have to learn to live with? Im still under warranty so I would like to get this nipped in the bud before next fall.

jerseymike68 09-24-2009 02:50 AM

Thank You!
________
Cd250u

Tom @ Snake River 10-12-2009 11:27 PM

My 03 just started the popping, it feels like it is under the passengers feet. I am glad to find this thread, now I know that I am not the only one with this annoying problem.

SteGTO 11-06-2009 03:00 AM

Hi Guys, I write from Italy.
My privious car was a '05 Hemi Ram. Now i have your same poppin problem with my '06 H2. The shop fixed it with bushings. Ok the first couple of days then the same... They say it is caused by the flexibility of the chassis. I think we have to live with it..
Have a great day and sorry for my poor english.

theboss 12-07-2009 07:30 PM

i have the same problem but only when im parking.. the first time i replace the wheel baring and then the axel i dont think the axel is the problem again since i replace those about a year ago...

achinaghost52 12-10-2009 11:50 PM

mine does this too, i have had that problem since 05 when we got it. i visually inspected it today, and the black dull paintpainted control arms have what looks like rub marks from the tires on them, so the stock tires seem to be too big, and rub on the arms, that may be the popping.

noavgcobra 12-28-2009 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by achinaghost52 (Post 213571)
mine does this too, i have had that problem since 05 when we got it. i visually inspected it today, and the black dull paintpainted control arms have what looks like rub marks from the tires on them, so the stock tires seem to be too big, and rub on the arms, that may be the popping.

thats funny my 06 h2 has the same rub marks and when i turn the wheel to full turn i feel a rub and automatically attributed to the tires being to large which are the stock size. its a strange being it was manufactured to fit these tires so dont know what to do, just not turning the wheel real sharp i guess

theboss 01-22-2010 06:16 PM

i just fix the weird noise under my truck it was the wheel baring that was broken...

achinaghost52 01-23-2010 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by noavgcobra (Post 214378)
thats funny my 06 h2 has the same rub marks and when i turn the wheel to full turn i feel a rub and automatically attributed to the tires being to large which are the stock size. its a strange being it was manufactured to fit these tires so dont know what to do, just not turning the wheel real sharp i guess

if you want to get rid of the rubbing. you can get wheel spacers, they basically move your wheels out/extend your axle. i know you can get some that are like 50mm for approx $250 new, and your stock tires are 315mm, so, thats alot. for the H2, i have seen spacers ranging from 30-50mm

CHESAPEAKEAVIATION 01-26-2010 05:38 PM

My 05 sut has bout 90k and today i did drivers drive axle, both side upper and lower ball joints and hubs... Total parts bout 700.00...mine was squeling when turning, was the drivers hub.. But said do it all and be done....easy job!

GirlieH2 01-27-2010 01:12 PM

My '04 H2 has a weird vibration/rattle when I accelerate. Any ideas? This is the only problem I've had since buying it new and it's kinda freakin' me out. Is this common like the bearing issue? I've never had a bearing issue either.

theboss 03-14-2010 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by GirlieH2 (Post 216193)
My '04 H2 has a weird vibration/rattle when I accelerate. Any ideas? This is the only problem I've had since buying it new and it's kinda freakin' me out. Is this common like the bearing issue? I've never had a bearing issue either.

i think thats the cover for your exaust i had a weird vibration specially while i was driving like 10 mph i took it to a shop and they remove the cover

ronniedt 04-12-2010 10:18 AM

Kicking from the rear

somebody help...? I have a 03 H2, 110k miles and use it to travel between Luanda, Angola and Pretoria, South Africa, a 2100 mile journey with about 550 miles of average to bad dirt roads. Have a Rancho 4" lift kit with 37x12.5 tyres, air suspension thats manually adjustable. The past 6 months it started kicking from the rear when I stop and release the brake. It feels like the rear axle creep up no the front wheels and as soon as I release the brake it DROPS out of the sky. Already changed the propshaft length and confirmed that the yokes are good, brake pads, brake fluid, suspension rubbers and, rear shock absorbers twice... Now I'm totally out of ideas...

Usef 05-02-2010 12:15 AM

grinding Sound Turning right

:mad: good day.. it Seems that after washing my hummer h2 05. From under after a couple of days i started to get this Grinding sound While turning.. i went to my Dealer they put some Grease .. all around and problem was fixed ( michanic parts ) hmmmm it seems it got back today.. after around a month.. hmmmmm Grinding SOUND.. Whats possbile to get rid of it? joint Boots etc.. ? the Rubbers to be changed or something becuase when i put Grease everything gets normal .. ? Leakage or something ?

Please techs.. help me out..

thanks

h2_32137 05-19-2010 08:25 PM

answer/truth

What you wanna do is take off your front skid plate. And then you're all set. That worked for me

Charles

madmike 05-21-2010 04:46 AM

On my H2 03 ...Gees that was easy!!! I just took off both of my front bearing hubs. Jacked up the front end with jackstands. Got out my electric impact wrench and took off tires. Stuck a screw driver between the brake rotor and caliper locking the rotor in place. Powered off Hub nut. Got my half inch rachet with my hydraulic jack handle and loosened 2 caliper bolts and 4 hub bolts. (pretty tight but no match for my makeshift breaker bar) Disconnected the ABS Line. Wiggled the hub and it just fell off.

Heres the kicker. I cant find any torq specs on the forum. Did some deductive reasoning and came up with 4 hub bolts 100ft lbs. 2 caliper bracket bolts 150 ft lbs. Main hub bolt 175 ft lbs. Can anyone tell me if im close? Oh and permanent threadlock. Gees this was easy!!! Did i say that already.

By the way my symptoms were grinding and popping when turning. When rotating the tires, I kinda thought something was up, I grabbed the front wheel and it shook around like a rag doll. And the dealer wanted 1000 USD to do the job. Got it done for 210 for both hubs with a lifetime warranty.

hugh jorgan 09-12-2010 03:09 PM

i have an 05 h2. during acceleration while turning or going straight, the front wheels feel like they r fighting each other and wobbling. they squeal really loud too. the steering wheel jerks in my hand and the only way to stop it is to let off the gas and ease up the speed. i have 35" tires on 20" rims. can someone explain what may be the problem?

4U2NV 12-21-2010 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by achinaghost52 (Post 215914)
if you want to get rid of the rubbing. you can get wheel spacers, they basically move your wheels out/extend your axle. i know you can get some that are like 50mm for approx $250 new, and your stock tires are 315mm, so, thats alot. for the H2, i have seen spacers ranging from 30-50mm

But if you install spacers, that's going put more strain on the axle.... YES/NO? I'd LOVE to install a set of spacers. I am sit'n on "24 Pirelli Scorpions that are quite wide. BUT, I LOVE the beefy look. My rims & tires don't really stick out but this would really add to the appeal.

H2CANEPADESIGN 08-03-2011 11:56 AM

Popping grinding

Silly as this sounds I had the same types of noise, I put it on my lift a few times and could not find the problem. No play in front end and the bearings were not making any noise. I ended up lubing the shock bushings with wd40 and the sound went away. I know its lame but it worked. 97,000 miles 03'h2.

2004H2 08-05-2011 07:52 AM

poping noise,squeil

I had a poping/squil noise when turning and just couldent understand what was going on, just had the oil changed (SYN)2,000 miles ago and I assumed they greased all the fittings at my dealership each time this was done.....

I returned to the dealership and asked my service Rep. about it, he drove my truck and said someone hasent greased the undercarrage for some time and the tie-rods/ball joints, :eek: swing tire mount were dry.....

Had them grease all the 18 ports and a few days later all the noises were gone........

I guess the oil change person(who no longer works there) only did half the job and left it, now i check Filters, Grease Fittings and such to make sure they were done,everytime it goes into Hummer for this service.

You shouldent have to check behind people, but thats the way it is anymore, I mark the filters with a Yellow Paint Pen with the date....

Have a Great Day........Rick

2004H2 08-05-2011 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by hugh jorgan (Post 232274)
i have an 05 h2. during acceleration while turning or going straight, the front wheels feel like they r fighting each other and wobbling. they squeal really loud too. the steering wheel jerks in my hand and the only way to stop it is to let off the gas and ease up the speed. i have 35" tires on 20" rims. can someone explain what may be the problem?

It sounds to me that you need a steering staybalizers, they keep the steering from wobbling,shaking with big tires.......

This is what happens when you change tires from the stock ones, your braking is also going to suffer as the larger tires take more pressure to stop the truck.......

The steering pump my be squiling due to a loose belt, tring to turn the oversize tires........

Just my 2 cents..............Rick

XxCC3xX 08-19-2011 12:29 AM

I noticed that it helps to move a little farther before turning. Sometimes people that just got their first H2 think that something is wrong and spend uneeded money to fix it.

paulw1029 12-02-2011 10:11 AM

My 03 was making an awefull groan mostly when I backed up with the wheels turned. Greased all the ports, dropped the skid plates and erplaced and nothing. I pulled the front swaybar off and cleaned and greased the rubber bushing that clamp the sway bar to the frame and that did the trick for me.

Vandy0090 02-02-2012 06:31 PM

I'm really surprised call joints were not mentioned more. Mines making the pop grind. We will see. Ill be swapping the ball joints (I know are bad) and wheel bearings. Ill post up pics. Sounds like its a problem a lot are having. Along with other trouble shooting look at your tire wear. That's an easy indicator. If its wearing funky jack the front end up and try to move the tires in and out. If u have play you have problems.......

Pics to come if I can get time away from everyone else's car and spend some time on mine lol

H2CANEPADESIGN 02-28-2012 07:34 PM

Just an FYI for all My fellow Hummer Owners, Its not just your hummer that is getting long in the tooth. All 3/4 ton trucks and suvs have these same front end issues. I manage an auto repair facility and I can honestly tell you that most trucks that are high in mileage or have lift kits on them, have front end issues.

Best advise to you is that if you hear noise in the front or feel play in the steering wheel odds are that something is worn or broken in the front end.

I just replaced my upper ball joints, idler and pitman arm after hearing some squeeking for a few weeks. When I finally checked it I was mildly suprised that is was as bad as it was and it didn't feel that bad.

Anywho, Don't hate on the ride, I'd rather be driving my hummer when the next asshole rearends me on the freeway here in L.A.

rickyv 04-11-2012 12:16 PM

Hubs Replaced

The moaning and squeaking in my H2's front end was worn out hubs. $800.00+labor fixed it.