Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Serpentine belt chirping

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 05:09 PM
Default Serpentine belt chirping

Hi Folks. '05 H2 w/177,000 miles
I put on a new NAPA belt (NBH 25060930-$40.00) months ago and it started chirping again within a week. I troubleshooted with water and soap, Figured replacing the upper tension pulley(was bad)... replaced exact same belt under warranty and its chirping again after another week or so.

That spray bottle diagnosis quiets down at the water-pump pulley, but i'm wondering if anyone is having issues with this NAPA belt quite often.

I Replaced water-pump a year ago and done the AC belt on the day I'm talking above. Would trying a different store belt be a good idea as the next fix attempt?

Thanks for any input.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:37 AM

I have heard that Goodyear Gatorback belts will often fix a problem like your having. The design of the Goodyear belts make them run very quiet. With that said a new Gates belt should also work very well.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:04 AM

Phil has it right.... They are not called Gatorback (now Continental Elite) anymore though. The hand down best belts you can get are the Continental Elite belts.

Main belt
Amazon Amazon

AC belt
Amazon Amazon

Could very well be a pulley though. There is the static idler pulley plus the pulleys on everything else that could have a bearing going....

I did just re-read that you did change the waterpump a year ago. Cheapo one or AC Delco or some other good brand? I know the cheapest stuff for something like that is something to avoid due to inferior quality, particularly in things like bearings. However it could be any one of the assorted drive bearings like on the tensioner, idler, power steering pump, etc. Realistically the best way to id something like this is to use a mechanics stethescope with the long tube rod and probe down by each of the accessory drives and pulleys and see if you can narrow it down to a specific one.

Could very well just be a poor quality belt as well though.

Last edited by MixManSC; 08-29-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by calif phil
I have heard that Goodyear Gatorback belts will often fix a problem like your having. The design of the Goodyear belts make them run very quiet. With that said a new Gates belt should also work very well.
Thanks for replies.
I think i'll give that a try. I looked around all the pulleys to see if anything else was causing the problem. The motor block pulley appears to shimmy a slight bit, but none of this started until I thought replacing the belts might be good idea since the power-steering pump was being change.

It doesn't chirp when idling- No change in loudness...

I'll look for where I can purchase the belt referred by you two helpful folks and post back the outcome.

Thanks again for advice.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by ObuckiO
Thanks for replies.
I think i'll give that a try. I looked around all the pulleys to see if anything else was causing the problem. The motor block pulley appears to shimmy a slight bit, but none of this started until I thought replacing the belts might be good idea since the power-steering pump was being change.

It doesn't chirp when idling- No change in loudness...

I'll look for where I can purchase the belt referred by you two helpful folks and post back the outcome.

Thanks again for advice.
Whenever I change my belt I change the tensioner. not expensive and you might as well change it at same time changing belt. very easy

Old 08-29-2017, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Phil has it right.... They are not called Gatorback (now Continental Elite) anymore though. The hand down best belts you can get are the Continental Elite belts.

Main belt
https://www.amazon.com/Continental-E...dp/B000C36BHG/

AC belt
https://www.amazon.com/Continental-E...dp/B000C32IUK/

Could very well be a pulley though. There is the static idler pulley plus the pulleys on everything else that could have a bearing going....

I did just re-read that you did change the waterpump a year ago. Cheapo one or AC Delco or some other good brand? I know the cheapest stuff for something like that is something to avoid due to inferior quality, particularly in things like bearings. However it could be any one of the assorted drive bearings like on the tensioner, idler, power steering pump, etc. Realistically the best way to id something like this is to use a mechanics stethescope with the long tube rod and probe down by each of the accessory drives and pulleys and see if you can narrow it down to a specific one.

Could very well just be a poor quality belt as well though.
The water pump was AC Delco, but i don't recall if new pulley was part, because a friend put it on. I'll ask him about your suggestion(s).

We did use a stethoscope to find the upper tensioner seemed a problem. However, It all started with a new power steering pump, but the chirp wasn't down there.

Is that main belt you posted the exact fit for my 05 H2 base model 6.0?
My sister works at Amazon and I can get it with less hassle on me.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:04 PM

Should be an exact fit. Put in your vehicle info on Amazons page. Those are the exact ones I bought for my 2003 H2 and they fit perfect. As far as I know through 2007 should be the same.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the clarification MixMan. I didn't know they changed the name.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:02 PM

It appears the timing jumped a link. How hard is that to adjust? I've never done a chain, only belts.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:55 AM

You won't be adjusting it, you will be replacing the components.