Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Second thoughts on the age of a used H2

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2023, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by H2-SUT
One of the most difficult parts to get your hands on is the sunroof setups. The person that previously owned my 06 lived in Arizona which was a godsend for the condition of the body and frame but he used the ever loving crap out off the sunroof.

As a result it was worn out, rattled and did not seal well. It took almost 2 years an almost a grand to find a new replacement, on top of that it was a pain to replace. Another one of those watch out for. While I was looking for an 08 I can across a number of H2's that the owner actually sealed the sunroofs closed.

Perhaps us long time die hard owners should create a sticky thread here on this site, a one stop shopping list of things to specifically check for before purchasing an H2 and to avoid costly mistakes.

What do you think Doc? What would be a good name for it? lol

Excellent idea, as most other forums have a similar set up.

I had to replace all 4 interior door panels as the original ones were missing the map pockets and had cracks everywhere. I did find almost new door panels last year but it cost me around $2800 for them. This is one thing I didn't research very well before I purchased my H2.

Old 01-28-2023, 12:06 PM

Zenith, Wow, I totally forgot about those and your right another pitfall! I had to remove all 4 from my 06 and repair each one with fiberglass and cloth. It was a great deal of work but they looked fantastic once done.

Old 01-28-2023, 06:21 PM

Gavin, Whats interesting Regular Gas has an octane rating of 86 not 87 unfortuntely here in New Mexico. And though it will run and does not knock but my H2 seem to loose some get up and go. Mid grade is a bit better but not as good as NM Premium at 91 Octane. That with the combination of high heat and 0 humidity in the summer Premium really helps. Its just the nature of the beast and where its at. lol
wow. That’s interesting and I’m surprised it looses so much power. Doesn’t make cost of ownership any cheaper either. Damn these things are expensive.

Old 01-28-2023, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by finall
I have to completely disagree. Completely different experience. And I can pull stock from any GM warehouse in Canada or USA.

I guess you have not tried much to buy inside or outside trim pieces, seat skins, OEM chrome wheels or chrome trim like bushguard, tow hooks, side steps and the like. Or a fiberglass hood.
I have.
In fact, most pieces that are not pure drivetrain are either very hard to get, or completely discontinued. I would say 80% of the parts I want are long gone.
And you see that here on this forum, people constantly looking for OEM parts that are long gone.

Sure you can keep it running. But not with OEM parts. And it will not look great with corroded trim or broken plastic. Also, a lot of the aftermarket stuff has disappeared. Most of the H2 owners buy a cheap used H2, and as such, do not have the $$ to throw at it to keep it looking nice. So the accessory manufacturers discontinue stuff due to lack of interest.
So the vehicles get basterdized or otherwise modified with whatever is still available.

To keep your H2 in restored stock condition is near impossible. I have done it, but at a few $Thousand per year in hunted-down parts or paying parts restorers.

And for God's sake, never get into an accident. Cause that would mean used junkyard parts to rebuild you H2 (as new is not available), and those are likely in worse condition that what was on your H2 to begin with.

So there you have it, would-be-buyer. A real dilemma.
If you want a pristine vehicle, H2 is not for you unless you are ready to spend thousands on it.
If you do not mind spending a lot of time trying to hunt down parts, do your own work, and do some modifications to keep your J2 on the road, by all means, get one.

Otherwise may I suggest a nice new Defender or Grenadier, or even the cheapo-built-feel Bronco as closest matches.
I see where you’re coming from. If you’re trying to keep an all oem truck it’s going to be difficult, and getting in an accident would be tough. But the bones are still there at least. There’s always a work around for the other things. Even if you have to pay a pretty penny everything is still fixable. If your looking for something cheap, a hummer is not for you.

Old 01-29-2024, 12:07 AM
Default Worth the investment

I have had and H3 and H2. The H2 is still in a Class of its own. I have drive the new wrangler and bronco and the H2 isn’t a rival truck but actually the OG in the off-road segment. The H3 is the rival to those other vehicles. A lot of what American general did with the h2 20+ years ago is being mirrored now as OEM and aftermarket in 2024. I agree with the all the responses on this thread. I average about $1k or less a year on maintenance and new parts. I drive my H2 daily. I take it on road trips and it keeps on moving. If you like to drive fast, this is not the truck for someone. This vehicle is about enjoying the ride , living in the moment. Take your time when looking. Check the frame for rust. Especially around the gas tank and rear end. Check the fuse box for shady electrical work from previous owners. Most engine and brake suspension components are easy to get and affordable. Cosmetic parts are as available on marketplace or OfferUp. Just don’t get caught up on making it a 20 yr old
showroom truck. Own for a year or two. If you like it and want to make the cosmetic changes. Go ahead. Remember, no one cares you paid 2$k for a rear tire carrier or 3$k on interior reupholstery. It’s only worth what someone wants to pay after you. I hope you grab one and enjoy it for however long you own it.

Old 01-29-2024, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Hallavega
I have had and H3 and H2. The H2 is still in a Class of its own. I have drive the new wrangler and bronco and the H2 isn’t a rival truck but actually the OG in the off-road segment. The H3 is the rival to those other vehicles. A lot of what American general did with the h2 20+ years ago is being mirrored now as OEM and aftermarket in 2024.
Hold up. The H2 is the “OG” compared to the Wrangler which has a lineage dating back to WW2? And Am General made the H2? This is all news to me. Am General made my Humvee but had no hand in making or designing the H2.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by bagpype
Hold up. The H2 is the “OG” compared to the Wrangler which has a lineage dating back to WW2? And Am General made the H2? This is all news to me. Am General made my Humvee but had no hand in making or designing the H2.
Agree the lineage is oldest with the Wrangler. I don’t believe the H2 IMHO was competing with the wrangler. The H2 was made under contract with AM general while owned and Parts by GM. Being a factory worker myself, it’s the people that make the product not the execs. The H1 was owned by GM from 1999as well built
in the same assembly line as the H2 from 2003-2009. There are probably very few wranglers built by AM general employees anymore. They are all Chrysler then Daimler now a global conglomerate owns them. The takeaway is the same for the individual looking to buy one, try one out. Also. It’s America and healthy to disagree, we’re a family.

Old 01-29-2024, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Hallavega
Also. It’s America and healthy to disagree, we’re a family.
Heard. Though I wasn’t disagreeing. I was just stating facts.

Old 01-29-2024, 03:10 PM

Well here is mine -2006 & 160k miles. Again, you have to keep up with maintenance & fix things but this is an 18 year old vehicle now & I still get comments on her monthly - literally. Get one from the south that has never been in the salt- Inside is just as clean. You have to love and appreciate the H2's. This is my 4th one (second fusion orange LE). I will most likely die with this one, I really dont think I would take 40k for it, would be very difficult to replace...

Old 01-29-2024, 04:31 PM

One of the most difficult parts to get your hands on is the sunroof setups. The person that previously owned my 06 lived in Arizona which was a godsend for the condition of the body and frame but he used the ever loving crap out of the sunroof.

As a result it was worn out, rattled and did not seal well. It took almost 2 years an almost a grand to find a new replacement, on top of that it was a pain to replace. Another one of those watch out for. While I was looking for an 08 I can across a number of H2's that the owner actually sealed the sunroofs closed.

Perhaps us long time die hard owners should create a sticky thread here on this site, a one stop shopping list of things to specifically check for before purchasing an H2 and to avoid costly mistakes.

What do you think Doc? What would be a good name for it? lol
Did this ever happened, the parts sticky list?

Quick Reply: Second thoughts on the age of a used H2