Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Seat Heater Function Uncontrollable

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 12:39 PM
Default Seat Heater Function Uncontrollable

Has anyone experienced their Hummer seat heating to randomly turn on/off? I have a short video of it but apparently this forum doesn't allow uploading of it.

Old 12-22-2020, 06:21 PM

Did you try to reset memory seat?

Old 12-23-2020, 12:15 PM

No that has nothing to do with it. It is a short of some type or malfunction of a relay/switch/etc.... I posted a Youtube video of the situation:

Old 12-23-2020, 01:39 PM

NO you didn't try to reset, or NO you don't have the time?
Did you check battery voltage/capacity & alternator output?
After that, time to jump in with the multimeter, check wiring/connector to the switch & seat heaters.

Old 12-24-2020, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
NO you didn't try to reset, or NO you don't have the time?
Did you check battery voltage/capacity & alternator output?
After that, time to jump in with the multimeter, check wiring/connector to the switch & seat heaters.
Fair point I should have instead clarified that NO I have not tried the reset, but the reason is simply because I know that is unrelated to this issue. It is a faulty tripping relay or button switch somewhere I surmise. Because I can hear a relay "clicking" on and off during the constant cycling of the seat heater as shown in the video.

Old 12-24-2020, 12:21 PM

you can carefully remove and open the seat heater switch and clean it with alcohol and a swab. sometimes water gets in them from leaks or rain and causes a bit of corrosion

Old 12-24-2020, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by lamboman
Fair point I should have instead clarified that NO I have not tried the reset, but the reason is simply because I know that is unrelated to this issue. It is a faulty tripping relay or button switch somewhere I surmise. Because I can hear a relay "clicking" on and off during the constant cycling of the seat heater as shown in the video.
Yes the relay is losing signal therefore "clicking". I don't get why your driving in the video, doesn't happen when parked?

Old 12-26-2020, 08:24 AM

Wasn't there a TSB for the seat wiring rubbing on a bracket up under the dash by the emergency brake pedal?

Old 12-26-2020, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Yes the relay is losing signal therefore "clicking". I don't get why your driving in the video, doesn't happen when parked?
Yes I think it does happen even when parked. But driving will usually trigger it faster I think when hitting bumps and whatnot but that may not be the case.

Originally Posted by calif phil
Wasn't there a TSB for the seat wiring rubbing on a bracket up under the dash by the emergency brake pedal?
I'm not sure what you are referring to....? Unless you are saying there might have been a recall on seat wiring rubbing on a bracket under the dash?

Old 12-26-2020, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by lamboman
Yes I think it does happen even when parked. But driving will usually trigger it faster I think when hitting bumps and whatnot but that may not be the case.

I'm not sure what you are referring to....? Unless you are saying there might have been a recall on seat wiring rubbing on a bracket under the dash?
Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) are recommended steps and procedures for repairing vehicles. A TSB is issued by an automaker when there is a growing trend with an unanticipated problems.

Quick Reply: Seat Heater Function Uncontrollable