Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Replacement Front Diff Fill Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 02:48 PM

Also, Grip-Tite, profiled in the video, seem to have pretty much disappeared. They got some really bad reviews, like these. To be expected due to moving parts inside a socket. Never great.
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...sockets.50314/

The chisel trick *may* work, and I have used it in a pinch.
But it can do more damage than good to the bolt. And it is NEVER like the video portrays. Using it like they did in the video is pointless and deceiving. The bolt head is intact. A rounded-off head will make the chisel slip.
The YourTube video is garbage.

Last edited by finall; 03-12-2023 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-12-2023, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by finall

Oh, and avoid vice grips, plumbing pliers, etc. Those usually do not provide enough torque and tend to slip off, and lead to more bolt head or nut rounding. Unless you are using them on bolts less than 1/4" diameter. Speaking from lots of experience.

Vise grips, groove lock pliers, pipe wrench, etc.. are designed to grip/remove ROUND stock! I once needed a 36" pipe wrench with an 8ft pipe inserted on the handle, to loosen/remove a 2" galvanized gas line at the fitting.
Btw, air chisel works best, tap/vibrate at an angle pops them loose.

Old 03-12-2023, 03:58 PM

There is a difference between a tiny bolt head and a round pipe. Pipe wrenches are used for.......wait for it.......pipe!

Old 03-12-2023, 04:54 PM

There is a difference between a tiny bolt head and a round pipe. Pipe wrenches are used for.......wait for it.......pipe!
No difference when removing ROUND stock.

Old 03-12-2023, 06:16 PM

Dude, you are watching too much YouTube.
Not sure what you are trying to show, but the bolt in the video is NOT rounded.

But maybe I should not be so hard on you because now I think maybe you do not know what a "rounded" off bolt actually looks like.
Let me explain it to you: It means the head is closer to round, instead of having 6 flats on it.
I am sure you can find a youtube video that explains it better for you.

If you just nick the point off, and can still be removed with proper 6 point sockets or wrenches, like the one in your video, it is not considered "rounded off".

You have obviously never tried to remove a small rounded bolt, siezed to the extent that Gavin says, with a pipe wrench or vise grips.
If you had, you would not be suggesting this.

@Gavin Costigan
Let us know if the pipe wrench or vise grips idea suggested by Hummerz worked for you, ROFL.

Last edited by finall; 03-12-2023 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-12-2023, 07:59 PM

Dude, you are watching too much YouTube.
WTF RU MISSING? I don't need YT!

Old 03-13-2023, 08:56 PM

I gave up and took it to a local shop. They said it took them like an hour to remove it even having all the tools on hand but it did come out. Also said there is no reason that should have ever been put on that tight.

Old 03-14-2023, 02:11 PM

On trick I have used on many bolts that have been rounded off is using a six point wrench (usually a harbor freight throw away) placing it completely over the rounded bolt (using a hammer as needed to get it seated) then I take my mig welder and run a bead between the rounded bolt and the wrench. Don't go to crazy with the welding as if you get the bolt too hot when you go to remove it you can sometimes drag the threads from the aluminum out with the bolt.

Immediately take some liquid wrench (or some other penetrating oil spray) and spray around the area where the bolt screws in. (have a fire extinguisher handy just incase things get out of hand) And with you hands gloved up you should be able to wrench it out. If the wrench hits the frame on something else is in the way stopping you from fully rotating the wrench use a moto tool or die griinder and cut the handle off to the point where you can completely remove the bolt.

I have used many methods in the past including the slot method, easy outs, heat, and others, I have never had this method fail. I even used a variation of this when I drilled and tried an easy out that just could not get a bite and welded the easy out to the bolt then pulled it.
Sometimes you have to be creative and think outside the box. Yup, it might have to damage the tool in the process of removing the broken part but its still cheaper then the dealership.

Glad you got it taken care of!

Old 03-14-2023, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gavin Costigan
I gave up and took it to a local shop. They said it took them like an hour to remove it even having all the tools on hand but it did come out. Also said there is no reason that should have ever been put on that tight.
"having all the tools on hand"=5minutes or less to remove, yet you get charged by the hour.

Old 03-15-2023, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by hummerz
"having all the tools on hand"=5minutes or less to remove, yet you get charged by the hour.

This Most shops have an hour minimum regardless if it takes them 5 min.

Quick Reply: Replacement Front Diff Fill Bolt