Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Replaced Driver's Seat Cushion and Cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 09:14 AM
Default Replaced Driver's Seat Cushion and Cover

Relatively easy project, even for me. New to me 2007 Hummer and one of the first interior projects was to replace the foam and the leather on the drivers side. Before the replacement, the seat felt like I was sitting in a toilet bowl so either the foam was compressed or the springs were stretched after 95K miles. Youtube videos and this forum helped and the replacement took about an hour. Turns out the springs looked in good shape but the foam was definitely compressed. I used Dorman 926-897 foam off Amazon $70 and the fit was perfect, even the Velcro strips were in the right place. For the leather I used Richmond Auto leather for $135 and again, the fit was perfect and the quality of their leather is better than OEM. I removed the original seat heater and used it in the new seat. I tried to buy a new seat heater but the plug was different so I decided to use the old seat heater instead. I highly recommend this $200 project to anyone whose driver seat is worn out. If a newb like me can do it, so can you.

Old 01-03-2022, 10:49 AM

Looks fantastic, Super Job, were there any pitfalls to avoid?

Old 01-03-2022, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by H2-SUT
Three recommendations 1) Buy the TORX Star E-20 and E-16 socket 2) Don't skimp, replace the foam also. 3) Don't pay an upholstery shop, anyone can do this.

Old 01-03-2022, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by coboarder
Relatively easy project, even for me. New to me 2007 Hummer and one of the first interior projects was to replace the foam and the leather on the drivers side. Before the replacement, the seat felt like I was sitting in a toilet bowl so either the foam was compressed or the springs were stretched after 95K miles. Youtube videos and this forum helped and the replacement took about an hour. Turns out the springs looked in good shape but the foam was definitely compressed. I used Dorman 926-897 foam off Amazon $70 and the fit was perfect, even the Velcro strips were in the right place. For the leather I used Richmond Auto leather for $135 and again, the fit was perfect and the quality of their leather is better than OEM. I removed the original seat heater and used it in the new seat. I tried to buy a new seat heater but the plug was different so I decided to use the old seat heater instead. I highly recommend this $200 project to anyone whose driver seat is worn out. If a newb like me can do it, so can you.

Why is there carpet in the seat after?

Old 01-04-2022, 08:00 AM

Good job, it looks so much better and I would say, you got off pretty cheap.

Old 01-06-2022, 02:02 AM

Great post! I came here to ask about finding replacement foam as I’m was planning this same project - didn’t think to look for Dorman. Thanks!

Old 01-06-2022, 08:11 AM

I bought mine from the Chevy dealer, GM foam part number is 88940349 and the bottom drivers black cover is 19127878

Old 01-19-2022, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by H2-SUT
I recently did this job.

Not as easy as the OP makes it out to be, at least not if you do not have skills.
And the skin is not properly stretched in the photos. It was not done right. You should NOT see the felt where the seat skin touches the vertical back skin.

So do not attempt this if you are not mechanically inclined.

There are pitfalls.
For example, these skins come WITHOUT the hole for the electric seat controls.
You have to slice VERY PRECISELY an open hole, not too small or not too large to show once the controls are replaced.

Stretching can be a bear also, and requires some force to do correctly (as evident in the photo).
On top of that, the skin has crappy plastic gutters which have to be spun 180 degrees and crimp onto the metal seat edges to keep the skin taut.
These pop off easily, even after a perfect install.
Bad design.

If you are a weekend mechanic, you should be good to go
Conversely, if you do not change your own oil, do not attempt this!

You MUST change the foam pad also.
Or the new skin will very quickly crush and crease just like the old skin looks.

Final job looks great in the photos. Well done!

Last edited by finall; 01-19-2022 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:40 PM

How did you get your cover to fit? Maybe they're better now. I had major fitment issues with Richmond leather. I ended up sending the seat covers back, they were so terrible. I even used a new gm cushion. They claimed they pattern theirs off a new oem cover.

Old 01-20-2022, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by fastNYsix
How did you get your cover to fit? Maybe they're better now. I had major fitment issues with Richmond leather. I ended up sending the seat covers back, they were so terrible. I even used a new gm cushion. They claimed they pattern theirs off a new oem cover.
The way you get it to fit is to buy an OEM skin. Not aftermarket. Even then you may have fitment issues. The new skin needs to be STRETCHED to fit. (As you can see was not done in the OPs photo above. )

Quick Reply: Replaced Driver's Seat Cushion and Cover