Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Rear mount spare tire question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 12:17 PM
Default Rear mount spare tire question(s)

I want (need) to get a spare tire mount, but have some questions. First, will the factory rear mount work with larger wheels/tires (35x12.50 on 20 inch wheels) or are you limited to the factory 17" wheel and tire?
Where is a good source for this part and what would I expect to pay? I have seen a variety of cost ranges.
Does having the spare mounted (larger than stock) interfere with towing ability?

Thanks

Old 08-26-2018, 02:17 PM

The spare tire on my H3 definitely got in the way of towing for me. I don't have the rear spare on my H2 (I put mine on the roof) but the H2 sits so high I have a 10" drop on my hitch so I don't think the tire would be too much in the way. Someone here with the rear spare can probably confirm for sure. The rear swing mounts are all over eBay, there was even a seller making them brand new last time I looked. A used one is probably cheapest but expect to pay a good amount for one even used.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:16 PM

Either blocking a lot of your view in the middle and making putting anything in the back a pain or taking up a third of the space inside the back and still blocking a lot of your view. Only other options are put it up top on a good roof rack (NOT fun getting a 100lb tire/wheel up there) or go without..... I generally go without a spare but I do keep a plug kit and I have the onboard compressor. Would not help for a big failure but can deal with a leak pretty well.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:07 AM

When i built mine, (because they start around $700 new about like everything else for these vehicles) I made the mount like a receiver hitch. Then i mounted the mounting plate on the "receiver" on an offset. When the receiver and mount are mated, they are cross drilled as an assembly, then turned 90* and checked for alignment and rotated 90* and checked again until a pin or bolt can be inserted with mount in any position.
The offset allows the wheel/tire to be mounted low on the street for max rear window viewing. when you need access to the hitch to tow, you pull the bolt/pin pull the mount plate off and rotate and remate the plate (with the tire slightly offset to the right or left and some window left open) this will raise the tire up and to one side allowing access to the hitch. If you need to keep it from hitting on a short departure, rotate to highest position. This WILL BLOCK your view! But who really cares whats behind you when you are off road!
Mine has been on the truck for 10 years. I really need to redesign the latch. But it works and has a big azz Master lock on it.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:39 AM

I have (had) the rear tire carrier on my rig. I will tell you, they are one major pain in the ***. Every time you want to open the hatch you have to swing the annoying thing out of the way. God forbid you are on a slope to the driver side when that thing trying to swing shut. Not to mention the amount of view is blocked by the tire. I no longer carry a spare, I bought a nice plug kit and compressor and I just keep those in my rig. It's not worth it to carry that huge tire/wheel around along with the carrier. That setup has to weight around 250 pounds. The rear of my rig actually raised up after removing it lol.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:55 AM

I did the same as LoJac on mine except mine came with the inside mount. Blocks a ton of your view and literally a quarter of the storage in the back. Took it out and keep a plug kit. Anything worse I'll call for a tow. If I am going to be going far offroad and maybe on a long road trip I do bring the spare just in case though. Ultimately I'd like to get a proper roof rack and keep it up there (although getting the tire up there will not be fun).

Old 01-25-2019, 11:26 PM
Default Well it finally happened, it broke. . .

Originally Posted by Rusty_03
When i built mine, (because they start around $700 new about like everything else for these vehicles) I made the mount like a receiver hitch. Then i mounted the mounting plate on the "receiver" on an offset. When the receiver and mount are mated, they are cross drilled as an assembly, then turned 90* and checked for alignment and rotated 90* and checked again until a pin or bolt can be inserted with mount in any position.
The offset allows the wheel/tire to be mounted low on the street for max rear window viewing. when you need access to the hitch to tow, you pull the bolt/pin pull the mount plate off and rotate and remate the plate (with the tire slightly offset to the right or left and some window left open) this will raise the tire up and to one side allowing access to the hitch. If you need to keep it from hitting on a short departure, rotate to highest position. This WILL BLOCK your view! But who really cares whats behind you when you are off road!
Mine has been on the truck for 10 years. I really need to redesign the latch. But it works and has a big azz Master lock on it.
Went to Cali after Thanksgiving. Was there for several weeks. Stopped in Texas on the way home to see family and pick up some stuff.
While there loading up, I unlatched the tire carrier and used it as a step to load stuff into the roof rack. Wound up laying on the tire and carrier on the ground! Thank god that these tires are large so I didn’t get banged up on the mount. After 10 years and climbing on it the hinge pin snapped off flush at the horizontal tube ( not the weld, as the pin goes to the top of the bar).
So I had to put all the pieces in the hitch basket along with an 8K generator. We made it home all safe and sound. Now I have to redesign the hinge assembly, going up from 3/4”.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:48 AM

My 08 has a 20" wheel with a 35" BF Goodrich (Factory) and it fits the rear tire mount but as most have said it blocks half the rear window and you'll need at least a 6 to 8" drop hitch to be able to hitch anything to the rear without having to swing the spare out of the way.

Neal

Old 08-31-2021, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by legerwn
My 08 has a 20" wheel with a 35" BF Goodrich (Factory) and it fits the rear tire mount but as most have said it blocks half the rear window and you'll need at least a 6 to 8" drop hitch to be able to hitch anything to the rear without having to swing the spare out of the way.

Neal
Neal,
Apologies for waking up a 2-year-old post. But, I wanted to PM you but since I am a newbie I don't have access to that yet. I was wondering do you have pictures of your 20-in wheel on the back of your rig? I have an 08 also and want to go with the larger tire on the back. But I am on the fence. Would you mind sharing some pictures?

Old 08-31-2021, 04:52 PM

what pics and angle would you like?

Neal

Quick Reply: Rear mount spare tire question(s)