Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Questions for LoJac963 on his build, & a couple questions for the group.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 12:11 PM

It should be just 3 or 4 wires. Power and composite video grounds might be combined.. The only others are +12v and the composite video signal. The supposed "unlock" hack is only if you are adding a camera to a factory system that never had one to begin with. Your already has the input and interface.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:57 PM

Yes, correct, I already have the backup camera and only want to remove the OEM camera and splice in an aftermarket camera. Thanks for the info on wiring. I just got off the phone with the 2nd car audio/video dealer in my area I have spoken to, and he said that all his cameras run on 12V but that some OEM cameras run on 6V and that I should check the voltage at the OEM camera I have. Seems odd to me but oh well, I will do that this afternoon and remove my OEM camera and go visit some car audio/video places to see if I can find a camera that will fit into my factory mount.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:58 PM

The plot thickens. I was all ready to pull my backup camera out of the truck and unplug it at the harness about 14" away from where the camera housing is mounted to the bumper and take it to the car audio/video store to see if they had a camera I could retro fit when I saw that the darn camera has 6 wires going into the harness, on both sides of the harness!! How in the world could a little camera need 6 wires??? Anyway, I didn't remove the camera, but rather I am going to have to do some research to see why it has 6 wires and what they all do. I guess I will take these pictures to the car audio/video guys in my neighborhood and see what they say.

Does anyone out there have any ideas? How in the world do I buy an aftermarket camera and just splice it into the line now that I see all those freakin wires??

Old 06-12-2018, 06:19 PM

It will be a bit but I have the GM eSI software and I can pull up the schematics in it for you....

Ok - see the attached. It looks like white (signal) and lt blue (video ground) are your video signals and then it looks like orange is positive and dk blue will be the ground. Like many things on GM vehicles the camera actually has positive power all the time but there is no ground - when you put it in reverse the BCM grounds the dk blue wire. To me it looks like the grey and black wires are just shield/grounds to make sure there is no electrical interference in the video signal.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
08cam1.pdf (676.3 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by MixManSC; 06-12-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:13 PM

Thanks MixManSC...very nice of you! If I am reading the schematic correctly, 3 of the wires from the camera go to the radio head unit which, in my case, has a touch screen factory navigation system and the back up camera image is on that screen. It also seems that the same wires from the camera also go to the other option in the '08 H2 which is a back up screen located in the rear view mirror if a vehicle does not come with the optional navigation system as mine does. As for which wires might power an aftermarket camera and supply the video image to the head unit, I am still unclear. Here is an example of what I picture myself trying to use:
https://www.bossaudio.com/product/ca...s-audio-cam22/

Old 06-13-2018, 06:44 PM

From what I can see it should be (new camera wires to factory wires) on the yellow video connector on a camera - the center would be the white factory wire, outer would be to the lt blue wire, red power connector center to the factory orange wire, and outer to the dk blue wire.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:54 AM

OK, thanks again MixManSC, I am beginning to understand. I will let you know how it goes as I get into the project. Thank you again!!

Old 07-28-2019, 01:34 PM
Default 08 H2 backup Camera.

Originally Posted by HummininTX
Thanks MixManSC...very nice of you! If I am reading the schematic correctly, 3 of the wires from the camera go to the radio head unit which, in my case, has a touch screen factory navigation system and the back up camera image is on that screen. It also seems that the same wires from the camera also go to the other option in the '08 H2 which is a back up screen located in the rear view mirror if a vehicle does not come with the optional navigation system as mine does. As for which wires might power an aftermarket camera and supply the video image to the head unit, I am still unclear. Here is an example of what I picture myself trying to use:
https://www.bossaudio.com/product/ca...s-audio-cam22/
Can you tell me what the answer is to resolving this issue...I recently bought an 08 H2 and the factory camera just as the one shown is very bright
I would love to change out for a better one if possible. Can anyone help.

Old 07-28-2019, 03:21 PM

might be simpler to spray the lens with a tint spray like what they use for the turn signals and headlights if it is just a matter of too bright an image.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:45 AM
Default '08 H2 back up camera washed out looking

Originally Posted by Buck Parker
Can you tell me what the answer is to resolving this issue...I recently bought an 08 H2 and the factory camera just as the one shown is very bright
I would love to change out for a better one if possible. Can anyone help.
July 29, 2019
Dear Buck Parker:
I am the one that posted the pic of the washed out back up camera in this thread, and requested help. That was about a year ago and I have not fixed it yet. I sort of lost interest due to not finding a good solution. If you figure out how to replace the stock camera with a new one without having to run all new wires to the control unit head in the dash, PLEASE SHARE. I have gone to car stereo installation shops and they want to run all new wires from a new camera to the head unit and I just don't want to go to all that trouble. I want to just replace the darn factory camera with the existing wires.
Please stay in touch as we seem to have the same problem.
Mark

Quick Reply: Questions for LoJac963 on his build, & a couple questions for the group.