Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Problem with the Driver's ​​​​Power Window

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 09:18 PM

you might be able to use the tech 2 to do a read of the module then put the pcmcia card into a pc and dump the file then read it with a hex editor.

Old 03-24-2021, 08:32 AM

I've tried that with a BCM file..... I'm just not all that great at code hacking. You also need some special software to read that type of a PCMCIA card as they are linear flash. I have the software but if I remember right the card explorer software pretty much only lets you dump the entire card image so I ended up with a 32MB file. I dont think I really took time to explore further though with a hex editor or trying something like binwalk to see what I can find.

Another I've wanted to do was to look closer as the TIS2000 installation and see how that is setup. I believe all of the files are in a database so with the right DB software one should be able to connect to the DB and pull out what you are looking for. Probably sorted by the calibration ID numbers. My thinking is one might be able to find the right firmware image in the DB, pull it out, modify it, write it back to the DB and then let the Tech2 grab it for an update. A lot of variables and trial and error will be needed though and if the firmware is all signed then its probably pointless to even try. If signed then the only option to "hack" any of the firmware would probably require a chip clip or find a TTL way onto the board to directly access it live on the module. Would open up some fun things though like enabling the fog light I/O on the BCM, fiddling with the driver info center messages, etc.

Old 03-24-2021, 12:17 PM

Hooked up the Tech2 to a DDM and played around with virtually everyTIS2000 option, could it be an OBPA has intelligence, like a special BCU?

The TIS2000 software always seems to end-up with trying to read or write via the Tech2 to the OBPA, I can TX and RX comms on the DDM's cpu, but its not looking for that.

This is a all new territory for me, may be I'm missing a piece of the puzzle?

Old 03-25-2021, 08:55 AM

It has been a couple of years since I've tried programming using the OBPA so my memory is somewhat vague (age seems to play a part in that lol) on the exact steps I needed for programming a module. I know I have used the OBPA I made with both the Tech2 and with EFILive though. I think maybe I used is with the pass-thru programming mode instead of OBPA. I think the only catch is the Tech2 will complain that I cannot find modules that are not connected (just as it does in the vehicle and it does not find the Onstar module). Again, it has been a while since I messed with it though and it is possible that the PCM being connected was enough to make it happy.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:07 AM

Also remembered this morning that I had an older GM Techline doc that goes into a bit of detail on programming. Not terribly helpful but good to have.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
GM TechLink Programming.pdf (248.3 KB, 214 views)
File Type: pdf
gm_reprogrammable_modules.pdf (137.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 03-26-2021, 06:32 PM

thanks for that, I will have a read.......👍

Old 03-31-2021, 06:48 PM

Hey PanchoH2 did you ever get your window fixed?

Also MixManSC a couple of things, I forgot to thank you for the offer of the power window module and to mention "yes2 mine does have the global windows buttons.

Also my friends module (Rev1) did not have global windows, so software could different, but you would think that if GM went to the trouble of including the GW circuitry they'd match it with software.

Its also true that a new module works out the box, no issues.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:35 AM

There is for sure some programming differences. The H2 is the only vehicle GM did with the global windows buttons. Some of the GM full size SUV's also have those same buttons but they are for power adjustable pedals. You can use those buttons in an H2 as a replacement but I'm not sure what would happen if you tried a DDM from and SUV with the adjustable pedals. I'd venture to guess the adjustable pedals are controlled via the BCM and the DDM on those vehicles just passes the button presses to the BCM. I learned more about the global windows feature when I added that to my 2003 and quickly found that it required more than just the button module which is all I bought at first. The Tech2 would even register the button presses but nothing would happen which meant that the outputs were not enabled in the software. Once I got the newer version 2005 DDM the buttons immediately just worked.

Would look odd but if your button panel fails you could use one from an SUV too as those are easier to find. The only difference is the icons silk screened on them.