Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Problem with the Driver's ​​​​Power Window

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 01:38 PM

So PanchoH2 "don't leave us up in the air" did you manage to fix your power window?

I've now looked deep into the module's electronics, so I'm in a much better position to help further if you need it.

Keep us posted..

Old 03-21-2021, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by oceanbrave
So PanchoH2 "don't leave us up in the air" did you manage to fix your power window?

I've now looked deep into the module's electronics, so I'm in a much better position to help further if you need it.

Keep us posted..
Hello, took apart the door Module thanks to the You Tube video and cleaned the contacts with the cotton Qtips. It appears that the carbon contact is not in good conditions. It seems more worn than the others. No luck with the power to raise the Driver's window.. I think I need a new module . Everything else has power. Anyways thanks for all the help. Great tips, you tube video showing how to take the module out without removing the door panel. The cotton swabs left the golden contacts shinny. 👍...... Any other suggestions besides buying a new module? If there are let me know?
Thanks
​​​​​

Old 03-21-2021, 04:41 PM

I have a driver door module (came out of a 2003) that is in good working order if you want it. I'd take $75 (shipping included). One thing - it will work as long as yours does not have the global windows feature. I dont think they started adding that until 2005 models. If you have that feature it will be two additional buttons on the seat heaters button panel on the driver door and are to the right of the seat heat buttons.

Old 03-21-2021, 05:43 PM

Let me know if you have global Up/Down buttons, if you can't fix yours I might be interested in some spares.

Anyway, promised to help, this video is just for you.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:51 PM

So out of curiosity.... I replaced the module from my 2003 so I could add the global windows feature (also required the heated seats button panel with the global windows buttons). The new DDM I got is a 15883429, my original is 15202850. My curiosity was if the main boards are actually any different or if it is just the programming in the eeprom (I have not pulled my new module out to open it up and probably will not try to). Looking at the photo in your other thread where you swapped the CPU and your video. The boards are essentially identical (at least to your original board in the earlier video further up in this thread) - the part number on the CPU side just under the larger cap - mine ends in R01 instead of R03 is all. So I suspect it is a programming thing. One thing I was tempted to try was to reflash it with the Tech2 and TIS2000 using a bench harness and VIN# from a 2005 H2 to see if that might let it accept the newer software. In your newest video one post up I am guessing you are looking at your new module as the backside of the board shown at 1:20 is quite different as the trace screening is different and it does not have the two large current sensing resistors there.

Old 03-23-2021, 07:43 AM

Just so happens I've reversed engineered both pcb's, to be accurate they are 84D42437R01 and 84D42437R03 the former being a friend's unit.

Indeed Rev 1 has the two 0.0698R current sensing resistors that you mentioned. Rev3 did away with these and literally uses the the copper resistance of the pcb itself for current monitoring, I guess it worked out cheaper.

There are a few minor changes.

1, Current sense resistors as mentioned.

2, Midway between the CPU and relay is a driver chip, Rev1 uses a 3242D 6 pin device, Rev3 uses a 32420 4 pin chip. I have no idea what device is for, it doesn't match-up any wiring diagrams I have, but it goes to connector C2 pins 24 and 25 (C2 is the 26way) I suspect it could be for Auto Day/Night mirror illumination? There are several connector pins the don't appear to match the wiring diagrams as follows:-
C2 26 Way
C2-1 12V Output (Could be Auto Day/Night Illumination)
C2-16 Logic Output (factory testing I assume)
C2-17 12V Input (Unknown)
C2-19 12V Input (Unknown)
C2-26 12V Output
C2-10 connected to C3-7 is the Auto Day Night Mirror Signal but connects to no other place.
C2-11 connected to C3-2, Unknown, connects to no other place.
C2-12 connected to C3-8 is the Auto Day Night Mirror Low but connects to no other place.

C3 10 Way
C3-6 12V Output (Could be Auto Day/Night Illumination)
3, There are some small changes to the Op-Amp (LM2904) circuit bottom left of the CPU, Rev3 removes a resistor and capacitor, they served no function and were superfluous.

Both revisions have the Global Window circuitry, as far as I know there are no CPU pin re-assignments. Both CPU's are MC68HC908AS60AVFU but could be different silicon revisions, this could affect programming, I don't know,

Software/programming is an area I'm weak on at the moment. I have been looking into it, but the CPU has an 8 byte security system which I'm not sure can be bypassed. The microcontroller belongs to the Motorola/Freescale HC08 family, there are numerous programmers and hacking systems out there, but don't know if they can be used without a copy of the software. It would take a fair amount of work to snoop the comms and find out.

So I'd say it's 50/50 on the CPU being able to be reprogrammed, 97.5% sure it will work if it can be.

What I'd like to know is, if a blank CPU was fitted would the Tech2 be able to program it?

The CPU's might be pre-programmed before assembly, on one hand that seems risky, GM could be stuck with a load of scrap PCB's if the software cannot be changed. There are numerous test points on the PCB which may be used for programming, but I've looked at this and it doesn't seem possible. My theory is the CPUs are pre-programmed with a small monitor program which responds to commands over the Class 2 serial comm bus, the comms may check the DDM's security code before allowing re-programming.

When you link-up on the bench do you provide +12V to the module and then link the serial bus to the Tech2?

It seems this might work.

If I could program then I'd have it all

Old 03-23-2021, 12:23 PM

BTW, I've asked my friend if he has Global Windows buttons, no answer as of yet.

Also if its possible for me to construct "bench harness" so I could try programming the DDM I have here just to see if it can be done. The CPU chip has a defective WindowsUp output pin, so I don't care of the it dies, it's scrap anyway.

I've never programmed a unit with the Tech2, but I've looked at the steps involved :-
"Service Programming"
|
V
"Select Diagnostic Tool and Programming Process"
-> "Select Diagnostic Tool" -> "Tech 2"
-> "Select Programming Process" -> "Reprogram ECU"
-> "Select ECU Location" -> "Off Board Programming Adapter (OBPA)"
|
V"Preparing For Communication"
"Step 1 Tech 2 to OBPA Connection"
"Step 2 Connect Tech 2 and wait for Start Screen"
|
V"Validate VIN Number" (put in mine)
|
V
"Supported Controllers"
-> "Select Controller" -> "DDM"
-> "Select Programming Type" -> "Normal" or "VCI" (is it "Normal" ??)
"Calibration Section2"
-> Here I get "15883324" with following information:-
15883324 Corrects issue of courtesy lamp abnormally staying on - passenger side
15251168 New software to address mirror positioning problem
25770606 Operating system
"Summary"
-> Recap of above
"Transfer Data"
|
V
"Program Controller"
-> This part fails as I've yet to connect the DDM assuming that its easy to do?
A few questions:-
  1. Am I on the right track with the Tech2 procedure?
  2. is it easy to construct an OBPA for the above?
  3. How do you get the latest software for a DDM, or anything else for that matter?
All this while I'm waiting for my new HVAC Control module.....

Old 03-23-2021, 02:28 PM

they do read some of the modules using jtag then dump the roms edit then reflash

Old 03-23-2021, 04:19 PM

One - yes all programming is "normal". VCI is where you convince GM to make a custom program for you and they give you a VCI number which triggers the system to download the custom program from ACDelco Tech systems.

1 - yes seem to be.
2 - yes fairly simple. I had originally built my ghetto OBPA to program PCM's. I made it using an old Sony 12v 3A power brick, an OBD2 connector (tied in both male and female since I had them around), and just some basic wire to a blue (do not need the red one for flashing a PCM) PCM connector. For other modules I'm not sure if the Tech2 might complain if it does not see them - for example I think some functions might be "through" the BCM and you might also need to have a BCM wired in as well. But for programming only, maybe not.... Obviously you would need to either have the correct plugs with some wire to plug into a module "proper like" but can always just securely tie into the correct pins with some small alligator clips or something. Would of course need power, ground, and data connected to the module at minimum. Oh and I also added an on/off switch so I could cycle power to a module without having to unplug anything.
3 - You can do an online subscription to ACDelco TDS https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions# for the latest software or do as I did and get TIS2000 running on a PC. The version I have goes up to like 2007 so I figure any software updates it has are current enough.... You can also verify on the TIS site by VIN what the latest version (calibration ID) are and compare to what TIS2000 has. https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web

You will have to do some searching online to figure on getting TIS2000 running. It is worth it though as you can update the software on any module that has updates. You need either TIS2000 running or pay for a vehicle programming software subscription at minimum (ACDelco does it per VIN) to be able to update modules.

My ghetto OBPA.... note - since I have not tried using it for a module like the DDM I'd need to add some more wires for connecting to whatever module it is. I've done other modules but in vehicle.

Old 03-23-2021, 05:05 PM

All sounds logical. I have TIS2000 running with dongle, but never used TIS2WEB, I see lots of downloads for it so I'll look into it.

Think JTAG post-dates the HC08 family, it would have been good and I do have a JTAG programmer. To be honest I see conflicting programming details on the DDM microprocessor, if I can get a reprogram cycle running I can learn more about it.

I have two DDM's here, all they need is new CPU's, otherwise they are good, so it may be worth getting into it.

I'm just running through the Tech2 VCI module connections, probably gonna buy a 26 way and dispense with the bulky cable.

Thanks for the info.. I'll keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Problem with the Driver's ​​​​Power Window