Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

My 2003 won't go into 4hi lock or 4low lock

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Question My 2003 won't go into 4hi lock or 4low lock

Sorry if this has been discussed a lot here, but I've been searching for a couple hours now, and still can't get a definitive answer..

My problem is that when I try to switch into 4hi lock, or 4low lock, the light just flashes several times, but does not switch out of AWD.

Anyone know whats going on here and how I can fix this?

Old 02-03-2011, 07:29 AM

Its been forever since I needed to use mine, but try putting it in neutral with your foot on the brake & then pressing the button.. Same to take it out.. It wont switch in park or in gear if my memory is correct.. Again it has been a while , but I think that should get you in & out... J

Old 02-03-2011, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the reply man, but that is definitely not the problem.. I have been attempting it in neutral with no luck as well

Old 02-03-2011, 03:00 PM

You probably need a new encoder motor aka shifter motor. Its mounted the the side of the transfer case. Its and easy job, however its not a cheap one.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:25 PM

Yea, I've looked up the price for one, and its about $173 from my local Oreilly. I wish I had a wiring diagram of the system so I could make sure thats the case before I just buy one since you cant return electrical parts if they have been installed.. Anyone have a schematic of the 4wd wiring? I looked for a fuse in the fusebox under the hood by the battery but didnt see a fuse that I thought would pertain to this problem.

On a side note (maybe related?) my TCS and ABS lights are on. I am pretty sure thats due to a faulty wheel speed sensor since that same exact thing happened to my buddy with an avalanche. Would that perhaps prohibit it from going into 4WD lock?

Old 02-24-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Yea, I've looked up the price for one, and its about $173 from my local Oreilly. I wish I had a wiring diagram of the system so I could make sure thats the case before I just buy one since you cant return electrical parts if they have been installed.. Anyone have a schematic of the 4wd wiring? I looked for a fuse in the fusebox under the hood by the battery but didnt see a fuse that I thought would pertain to this problem.

On a side note (maybe related?) my TCS and ABS lights are on. I am pretty sure thats due to a faulty wheel speed sensor since that same exact thing happened to my buddy with an avalanche. Would that perhaps prohibit it from going into 4WD lock?
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.... i had the exact same problem and i replaced the driver side wheel bearing and it comes with the abs sensor and the ABS light and (TC) light came off and now it shifts into 4 low and high lock!...

Old 02-24-2011, 01:40 PM

Yea, I found that out as well actually.. I replaced my d/s wheel hub a couple weeks ago and that cured the issue. But then led to another problem unfortunately. Now after driving a little bit, the traction control kicks in for no apparent reason, then shortly after that the ABS, TC, and parking brake light come on and display reads "Service Brake System"

I tried the fix listed in the bulletin, and it still does the same thing

Old 02-24-2011, 01:46 PM

this is the link to the problem.. forgot to add it in my post. I cant figure out how to edit my last post either..

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16305

Old 12-07-2015, 12:52 PM
Default Can't shift out of high lock.

Could you please tell me your trouble shooting procedures and how you came to the conclusion of that exact hub please?

Thank you,
Jay
Cell. 206.226.8496. Text message also.

Originally Posted by GR8WHITE
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.... i had the exact same problem and i replaced the driver side wheel bearing and it comes with the abs sensor and the ABS light and (TC) light came off and now it shifts into 4 low and high lock!...

Old 02-20-2019, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Sorry if this has been discussed a lot here, but I've been searching for a couple hours now, and still can't get a definitive answer..

My problem is that when I try to switch into 4hi lock, or 4low lock, the light just flashes several times, but does not switch out of AWD.

Anyone know whats going on here and how I can fix this?
I recently purchased an 03 hummer and had the same issue I had turned off my vehicle had the ignition in the on position and the vehicle was in neutral. I pushed the 4hi lock button and the system engaged, After it engaged I hit the 4 low lock button and it engaged. I cranked the h2 and it was definetly in 4 low. Obviously something is wrong but it did cycle to 4 hi and 4 low when I did this.