Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Moroso Catch Can Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 01:48 PM
Thumbs up Moroso Catch Can Install

These engines (including the 5.3 ones and a couple of others from GM) are famous for sucking tons of oil and milky condensation crap from the PCV into the intake manifold. The one I got was really not intended for this specific truck but actually is a perfect fit and you can install it in literally about 20 minutes with these pics. Its this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While for GM trucks, Moroso intends for it to mount to the alternator mount which will not work on the H2 (don’t know about the 07+ ones). But it mounts beautifully on the right side of the hood catch bracket and also will make it very easy to empty.

I also pulled the throttle body and cleaned it, cleaned the MAF, and changed the spark plugs and wires. The throttle body was very nasty and I can see down in the intake the years of crud from the PCV system. The spark plugs had blue paint on the ends - that means they were the ones installed at the factory!! The factory uses paint pens to marks bolts, connections, and other things as a confirmation that its checked and complete...

I put in new AC Delco 41-110 Iridium plugs and high quality Taylor wires. Its idling much faster now (that indicates that the throttle body was gunked up) but that will settle down as the ECU learns the new idle patterns and has already calmed down since I did all this yesterday. With the plugs as old as they were I'll probably get a boost in economy and power. I can already tell its smoother and more responsive.

Anyways the point of this thread was to confirm that the specific Moroso catch can I got works perfect on the H2. I put the same one on my GMC Sierra a couple of years ago. I empty it around every 2000 miles and get 1 to 2 ounces of some very nasty stuff that I'm no longer burning and clogging up my intake and valves, etc with. In the pic - the tube I marked red comes from the PCV valve, the green is out to the intake. There was originally a hard plastic foam covered pipe that went directly between the two which you remove.

Attached Thumbnails Moroso Catch Can Install-cc1.jpg   Moroso Catch Can Install-img_0804.jpg  
Old 02-07-2017, 03:03 PM

Nice job....I will be doing this mod right away along with the plugs and wires. Do you know the part number of the Taylor wires you used? Thanks

Old 02-07-2017, 04:02 PM

Sure thing....

I bought all of it from Amazon (Prime is handy).

Those Taylor wires are massively thick! Very nice and look pretty slick. Not sure how much better they are than the OEM ones but they look the part for sure. Also the metal heat shields from the OEM ones do not fit on them but it should not matter as these are specified for our specific 6.0 engine. I read a lot og good reviews on them so thats what I went with. The length was perfect and they also came with a small packet of dielectric grease for the boots. I also put a dab of anti-seize on the spark plug threads. A couple of the original wires just broke even using a spark plug boot tool I have.
Amazon Amazon

Spark plugs - Correct AC Delco Iridium - there are some others on Amazon but bulk packed which did not seem like a good idea to me. I wanted them in the original box so I know the gap has not been screwed up. They came in the original box with the 8 smaller boxes inside.
Amazon Amazon
Also - be prepared. The spark plugs are mostly easy but the back one on the passenger side is a bear to get at decently. I used a 4" or so wobbler extension on them which seemed to work fine for the odd angles you have to get at when replacing some of them. On the driver side - I also took the bolts off the positive cable bracket by the alternator to make that one easier to get at. The original wires were really, really stuck the heck on the plugs. Took a LOT of effort twisting to get them to where they would even freely twist and then still the ends stayed stuck on a couple of them plugs. Mine were the original factory ones though so they had been on there for 14 years and 115000 miles. Yours might be easier if they have even been changed before.
I ordered the plugs from the seller "Touch it up".

The PCV valve - I was not aware of this bit. Really not much point in replacing it. Unlike older ones this one has nothing inside. You can see right through it - just a small hole in the bottom is all. The original was dirty but realistically I could have just cleaned it off and used it. Since I already paid for the new one I did go ahead and use it though.
Amazon Amazon

This Moroso catch can is well done too. It does have a separate top section with fiber or something in there so its not just an open can sucking everything right through like some of the cheap ones. Very thick machined aluminum and very nicely made. Very nice finish and comes wrapped in a separate soft towel so it does not get any scratches or anything before you get it. It comes with a length of hose as well. The only thing you will need is some teflon tape for installing the fittings on the can. I did remove the top plastic cover from the intake manifold so I could better see the fitting under there to connect the hose too. Also when I pulled the rigid factory hose off it left a small 2" piece of hose on the fitting on the intake which you need to remove.

Once I got the fittings installed in the direction I wanted and put the can in the bracket I just cut the hose that came with the kit to fit and it worked great. Really is as simple as can be - you will see once you get it if you get that exact same one. The pics I posted show you how I oriented the bracket and all. The hood clears it just fine.

Last edited by MixManSC; 02-07-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:17 AM

Thanks for this very useful and in depth information! I really appreciate it! I haven't been able to find the Taylor wires though. Ugh! Thanks again. Don

Old 02-10-2017, 04:27 PM

I seen a utube vid where a guy did this with an air compressor condensation filter cup.

This is the first time I ever heard of this catch can thing.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:22 PM

I'd personally not go the homemade route. I"ve seen where people have had problems with the compressed air line filters on other forums in the past.

A catch can is really a must in my opinion. In the winter it gets even worse due to the internal condensation that builds up in your engine overnight. You really don't want that crap being put through your engine. Is it going to make your engine last 100000 more miles. No. If you put one one your engine new, after 100000 miles I can promise this, your engine will be running much more efficiently due the far less building up crud and goo on your intake and valves.

I first looked into them when several years ago I needed to replace the knock sensors on my GMC (5.3L - essentially the same engine as our Hummers but not as bored out). On doing so I had to remove the throttle body and intake manifold. It took 4 days of soaking in Purple Power, removing it daily and scrubbing with long brushes and rinsing, and putting it back in before I finally got all the crud cleaned out.

When you have your intake manifold off you can also see down on your valves through the heads intake ports. I so much wanted to at that point pull the heads off too but I did not. But I could see much more down on top of the valves and in the ports on the heads. At the time my GMC had about 80,000 miles. I looked into what was causing it and found out its the somewhat poorly designed PCV system on our engines and learned about catch cans. One catch can, and 30,000 miles later and I decided to do some work (changed fuel injectors) and on being in there, the intake is still nearly spotless clean.

I already know my Hummer that i just recently got has a ton of gunk built up too. I also know its not going to get much worse now. There are a TON of catch cans out there. Most under $100 are junk and do little to actually trap anything. I went with Moroso because its a brand I trust and they are very well made.

Here is a thread on a Camaro forum where another brand (RX which are also excellent) started talking bad about Moroso. An exec from Moroso actually registered and replied on the third page and posted a link to a vid Moroso made showing their can working with a custom clear bowl.

Oil Separator (Catch Can) from Moroso... - Page 3 - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Old 02-14-2017, 06:33 PM

Great info on the plugs and wires. Catch can is another issue, I won't get into a heated debate over them. I've ran them and not ran them. They are more useful on Direct Injection engines since the gas does not "clean" the tops of the valves-obviously our engines are not DI. When I run out of mods for my H2 I will probably do one but not until then lol.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:42 PM

I definitely agree. On the newer DI engines I personally think one is near mandatory if you have any care for your engines longevity (or at least the longevity of its efficiency). I've seen to many of the arguments about the different ones and opinions on their effectiveness to go there. I will not go down that road....

Old 02-15-2017, 11:24 PM

^Exactly. I will say, I ran a baffled catch can on my 06 GTO with the LS2, basically out same engine but with an aluminum block and it would catch about 20ml of oil between oil changes. I will definitely attest to them catching some of the oil. I will probably add one to all of our vehicles at some point.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:57 AM

I followed the RX catch can drama on a Cadillac board. Seems like a good product but the constant bad mouthing Moroso was getting old. I trust Moroso products and would not hesitate to buy one.