Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Mirrors..hood vent

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 12:43 AM

Mirrors body shop installed. Different design. No heat..Ice does not melt off the mirror glass. Even used infrared to check and nothing. I see both styles on other hummers and a friend has the same mirrors that I had.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:14 AM

Sounds like something is not right. All H2 mirrors are heated. The drivers side one does take longer as it is also auto-chromic dimming glass which is twice as thick. Maybe a pin got pushed out of a connector or a fuse got blown or a relay died when the replacement was done?

Either way - If you want to go without for the time to ship them, I'll trade you my original style mirrors for those newer style ones.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:23 AM

Confirmed, your original mirrors were 1st generation mirrors which are not made anymore. Your new mirrors are 2nd generation mirrors. All H2 mirrors are heated just as Mixman mentioned including the ones you just had installed. Please remember to turn on mirror heat, you will need to turn on your rear window defroster - which is sometimes not very intuitive. The mirrors will not come on automatically when below freezing.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by clsimmon
There is some confusion. There were only two generations of mirrors made. 2003-2005 which has solid chrome or black plastic housings. The 2nd generation introduced in 2005 and continued through 2009 only came in 1 variant which has the H2 emblem in chrome on the housing. The 2nd generation is heated but doesn't have the icon noted as being heated so you should be ok with what they installed.
I have a 06, how can I find out if mine are heated, and where would the switch be located.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:07 PM

There is no button just for the heated mirrors. The rear window one controls both. Bottom right button on the heat and air controls. Yours are heated. There is no such thing as H2 mirrors that are not, all H2 side mirrors are heated. Unless of course they are modified - one thing that I have seen on other vehicles is if you break the mirror glass, you can buy just replacement glass. The catch is most generic replacement glass does not have the heating element... some do but its something one has to look for.

An entire replacement mirror from a stealership, it better be correct.

Another thing to note - an IR thermometer might not work for measuring the temperature of a mirror like this. I think many car mirrors are "first surface" type which means the mirror coating is on the side of the mirror you see instead of the backside which means the IR is measuring whatever the reflection is and not the actual glass. Try it on a highly polished mirror finish pot on a stove and you will probably get the same issue.... I think some might be better at dealing with that than others though.

Last edited by MixManSC; 04-16-2019 at 06:13 PM.