Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Malfunctioning Transfer case HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 08:13 AM

@DesertDog Thanks for the info and pic! PM sent re shop manual.

I'm in Vegas and am heading to Utah next week to drive Scenic Byway 12 in the snow. Do you live between Vegas and Fish Lake?

Old 02-08-2019, 01:17 PM

No, im actually way up north in Plain City.
Post some pics of the drive, that sounds adventurous.
-DesertDog

Last edited by DesertDog; 02-08-2019 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by DesertDog
No, im actually way up north in Plain City.
Post some pics of the drive, that sounds adventurous.
-DesertDog
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/g...03/#post357974

Old 10-27-2020, 07:00 PM
Default Kind of the same issue but Feel what is actually happening

Originally Posted by shortbus
i can't see why turning would cause the rear locker to engage, i think your service techs are on crack. have you noticed the lights changing on the dash to different 4WD modes? and going into 4lo doesn't automatically engage the locker. have you tried cycling through your different 4wd modes to make sure they work? if i was you, i'd start looking for another repair shop. if you're out of warranty and have to pay for the service, you'd be better off taking it somewhere with mechanics that actually know what they're doing.

if you have your truck in 4hi-lock mode, that will make your turning feel sluggish. you have 3 modes, 4 hi, 4 hi lock and 4 lo lock (none of which will engage the rear locker). during normal driving you should be in 4hi, so the top button should be the one with the light on.
I confirmed what I believed was correct by the dealership today.
so during my vacation not touching any buttons for the 4WD I started my 2094 H2 Hummer up and drove around the hotel to pick up the family. As I was turning it belt almost like a brake was sticking, but knowing how the steering g feels in 4 lock or 4 Lp I k we that it was in the wrong gear.
The funny thing is the light showed normal 4 hi was in use. I stopped shifted into 4lo and then back into 4 hi not locked. Still the same issue. Took it first to well known and only place in town hoping a steering arm or something may have been bent. So two days later I have new steering arms, too and bottom ball joints and an alignment. Ready to go. Nope, same issue nothing better, nothing worse. So I drive it home know it had to be in 4 hi lock. So when I get back I take it in to dealership.
told them. The light inside says I am in 4 hi not locked, but drives as if it is in 4 high locked. The steering going straight or or small turns are not a problem, going slow into a parking spot it feels like driving an army tank. So bad that most of the time I actually have to stop, back up, and then make the final turn into the space. He said without question that it is a stuck or broken fork in the transfer case. That is in 4 hi lock, and nothing can be done until the transfer case is open and the fork is replaced and any other damage that may be in the case. But for sure that the fork is the issue.
Has anyone else had this issue and is he correct. Could it even be another problem or is this guy that good?

Old 10-27-2020, 07:07 PM
Default Not changing gears

Originally Posted by shortbus
yes, it would be very strange if turning caused your transfer case to change modes. are you seeing the lights change when you turn? have you looked at the frame members in the front of your truck to see if your tires are rubbing hard when you're at full turn? check both the sway bar and the frame rail at the back of the tire to see if there are indications of rubbing.
The gear does not change when he is turning. He doesn’t know it but he is actually always in 4 hi lock even when the light is saying 4 hi not locked which is regular driving mode.
Transfer case Fork stuck or broke. Change it and you will be on your way. The quote from your guy sounds about right.

Old 10-28-2020, 11:05 AM

The hyrdoboost unit can also cause a very similar sensation. I know this for 100% fact because I just had to change mine due to it.... Some internal valve or seal goes in the unit and the result is when you turn the wheel, that causes the hydroboost to apply the brakes.

Probably not the issue you are having but easy enough to determine. With it idling and just sitting still, try turning the steering wheel while watching the brake pedal. If turning the wheel causes the brake pedal to go down by itself then you have a hydroboost failure.

Old 06-26-2021, 02:00 PM
MAF
Default Rear locker

Everything shifts fine but in 4L it won't go into Diff lock.
Thanks.