Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Maintenance to-do list?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 02:10 PM
Default Maintenance to-do list?

Hi all. I just bought a 2003 H2 with 108k miles. It's in pretty good shape but discovered issues on the way home. It leaks brake fluid like crazy and i think the rear calipers are seized up. Going to take it to a shop and have it checked out but from what I've learned I probably need to replace all the brake lines and should probably go ahead and replace all the calipers, rotors, and brake pads while I'm at it.

In the fb group I posted someone suggested inspecting the fuel lines as well - I'm guessing these suffer from corrosion like the brake lines. Are there any other must-inspect items while I have it on a lift?

I'm going to get fresh fluids in the tranny, t-case, and differential. Any other maintenance or preventative items you folks recommend? Thank you.

Old 01-12-2020, 02:51 PM

change all fluids

Old 01-12-2020, 02:53 PM

Alignment/suspension/tires. Left rear don't look right..

Old 01-12-2020, 05:12 PM

When the front skid plate is off have them lube/grease up all the steering and drive line grease zerks and specially the idler arm usually gets neglected because it needs a 90deg gun tip. Then check the u joints before greasing them. Also make a list of where they spot oil leaks while in the air. To start knowing how things are.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:07 AM

Thank you for the suggestions - will do.

Confirmed I have leaking brake lines. Going to replace the entire brake system. I ordered the following:will also order:
  • brake master cylinder: new AC Delco unit from Rock Auto for 129.89 ACDELCO 18M1107 - I'm wary of getting some Chinese crap from AZ/Oreillys/NAPA so hoping OEM will help (still probably from China...) - what kind of luck have you folks had with lower cost replacements?
Should I also replace the hydroboost while I'm at it? I can get a unit remanufactured in the USA from Rock Auto (POWER BRAKE EXCHANGE71805Reman) for 151 plus $40 core. OEM AC DELCO is $411.

Questions:
  • any related hoses I should replace even if they look fine (like from power steering to hydroboost)?
  • Power Steering pump: since this is tied into the hydroboost system, is there a chance it's been overworked due to the bad brakes?

Old 01-14-2020, 11:34 AM

Possibly but power steering pumps generally give little trouble I'd probably flush it with new fluid though. Hydroboost - if it is not giving any issues or leaking I'd not mess with it. Rebuilt ones are hit and miss. Even rebuilding one yourself is hit and miss. Some seem to get a good rebuild and some seem to pull a rebuild off without any more issues while some report having to replace a rebuild one within months.

Of course keep in mind on those saying always get a new one.... when someone has a problem with a part they are far far more likely to go online and complain about it than those who had zero problems are likely to go online and say everything is great. So while it might seem like a lot have had problems with rebuilt ones, far more are happily just driving away...

Its not terribly hard to replace or rebuild but certain aspects of it as very fiddly like the clip that connects it to the brake pedal and getting to the nuts on the inside of the firewall to unbolt it. If the hoses appear to be fine I'd leave well enough alone in my opinion.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:06 PM

inspect your oil and transmission cooler lines also while replacing your brake lines check the brake hoses going to your calipers. inspect your radiator as well for leaks. inspect your coolant hose clamps too as they can rot apart. also check the coolant it might need to be replaced by now.
other maintenance items are clean the mas air flow sensor with MAF cleaner and clean out your throttle body. inspect the air filter.
at 100k + miles it is due new spark plugs, get the OEM iridium acdelco brand and save the hassle of other brands.

Old 01-17-2020, 11:35 AM

Your kit looks nice, I so wanted to spray my calipers red but got persuaded to "go black" At least you don;'t have to dig your bleed-screws out!

I'm also in the process of servicing my break system, just completed the brake lines and hoses (6 lines + 6 hoses) My old lines were "rotten" to the core, some even fell to pieces in my hands!

Got my brake line kit from classictuibe.com but have to say I'm not a bit fan of their braided hoses, I can't see them lasting in the environment over here.

Just waiting on delivery of new rotors + pads, got most the other stuff such as retaining clips, parking brake shoes, spring kits

Hopefully your shop will do the job for you, again I'm envious I didn't have any local facility so had to do the work myself, not easy by any means and very stressful.

BTW do your have Air Suspension or springs?

Hope all goes well !!

Old 01-17-2020, 11:48 AM

very nice looking H2, congrats

whats that white stuff falling from the sky?

Neal

Old 01-18-2020, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Possibly but power steering pumps generally give little trouble I'd probably flush it with new fluid though. Hydroboost - if it is not giving any issues or leaking I'd not mess with it. Rebuilt ones are hit and miss. Even rebuilding one yourself is hit and miss. Some seem to get a good rebuild and some seem to pull a rebuild off without any more issues while some report having to replace a rebuild one within months.

Of course keep in mind on those saying always get a new one.... when someone has a problem with a part they are far far more likely to go online and complain about it than those who had zero problems are likely to go online and say everything is great. So while it might seem like a lot have had problems with rebuilt ones, far more are happily just driving away...

Its not terribly hard to replace or rebuild but certain aspects of it as very fiddly like the clip that connects it to the brake pedal and getting to the nuts on the inside of the firewall to unbolt it. If the hoses appear to be fine I'd leave well enough alone in my opinion.
Appreciate the advice. Will flush ps and wait to replace the hydroboost unit when it gives me trouble.

Quick Reply: Maintenance to-do list?