Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Low Oil pressure . Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 04:38 PM
Default Low Oil pressure . Update

Shop check the problem with low oil pressure , seems to be a ring on the pump
I understand the labor involved is extensive but I cant afford the repair now , quoted to 2150 (parts included ).
seems is going to be a Fun weekend replacing the pump by myself the

Questions

is there an upgrade for the oil pump .
which brand to buy (aftermarket or Oem) parts?
Is it possible to.replace only the seal ring , if so is still necessary to drop the Front differential to remove the oil pan ...
thank you

Old 12-03-2018, 05:21 PM

Sorry I post a new thread instead a replay in.my previous post .

Old 12-03-2018, 05:51 PM

The GM eSI says you have to first remove the skid plate and crossmember, then drain the front axle, then remove the entire front differential, starter motor, oil pan, fan, belts, water pump, crankshaft balancer, front engine cover. Some might very well not be required though. The docs do not state that but its a lot of jumping back and forth in a bunch of different sections trying to follow it in the eSI system. That does give you all the torque specs, places where some sort of sealant needs to be applied, etc. Does sound like a pretty big project for sure.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:01 PM

I had to get mine done after my mechanic broke the dipstick tube off at the block. Was in to get the broken manifold bolts done. lost oil pressure within 20 km of his shop. He denied that it was his fault. Cost me $1800. I asked for the oil pump when he was done. There was a burr right where the piston( valve) would sit at idle. If i gave the truck a shot of gas it would build enough pressure to push the piston past the burr and then i would have pressure. As long as i wasnt at idle. He was my mechanic for twenty years. If he would have admitted it and absorbed most of the cost i would have been okwith it. He doesn't on my stuff anymore.

Like Mix said above. Big job, that is going to be very difficult without a hoist. Im not afraid to tackle most jobs. But sometimes its just better to pay to get it done.

Old 12-03-2018, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the inputs
Im sure it will be a.hell of job but I cant afford the $2150 cost .
How about if I only replace the O ring . I saw a few videos which show the pump or O ring replaced without having the drop the oil.pan not having to replace the dipstick tube

still a lot of work but not having to drop the Front Differential and oil pan is going to save me.a.lot of headache

Old 12-04-2018, 05:52 AM

It's a decent job but not to bad. I've done the pump replacement both ways, removing the pan and not removing the pan. I would say that its impossible for them to make that diagnosis without removing the pump and pickup and looking at the o-ring, it does appear that the o-ring breaking is a somewhat common occurrence though.
I would stay with the OEM pump if it was me. Melling is the next most common replacement pump and they have a pretty good name in the pump market.
There are some videos of guys doing it in their driveway so you can get an idea of the work involved. I do have a lift, trans jack and a good selection of tools so when I say not to bad a job you can see it from my perspective.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:59 AM

you'll have to remove the front chain cover to get to the bolt that retains the pickup and to gain access to the pump. That 1 bolt is not designed to be removed without removing the pan but it's not impossible to do. If you do try to do it be very careful not to drop the little bolt into the pan after removing it. I tied a piece of fishing string on mine just as a precaution.

Neal

Old 12-04-2018, 06:02 AM

When it comes to the little bolt it's not removing it that's the hardest part, it's trying to put it back in

Neal

Old 12-04-2018, 08:48 AM

Thanks.. Im going to try without removing the oil pan . I don't have a lift, will do it on the driveway... I will go with Melling . I did a quick search, seems to be a good brand
to determine the issue was the ring they put the truck in a very incline ramp, that way all the oil came to the front and the ring is flooded . If the problem is gone then you know it was the ring
is there anything else I should look or replace . (Water pump is new)
Neal . I will use your method and tie a string add precaution

Old 12-04-2018, 02:07 PM

I'd question that diagnoses like someone else said. The o-ring in question goes between the pick up tube and pump itself, so that o-ring is at the front of the engine. The o-rings do go bad so it is not out of the question but lets talk more about how / when this happened.

When did this start? How many miles? It is possible that you have sludge build up, which might also explain how the sea foam green made it worse. How bad do your oil changes look? Have you ever had valve covers off? Were they full of gunk and sludge?

I'd run some engine flush of some type thru it, if not MMO and see what comes out. Its certainly cheaper and less time than pulling the pan off.

Tim

Quick Reply: Low Oil pressure . Update