Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Looking into a h2 but have some questions.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:46 AM

Oh, I didnt say it was much (if any) worse than another large truck, just that it is not a cheap way to get around. I am amazed how good the mileage is given that it is about as close to a brick wall roaring down the highway at 75mph as can be found!

Old 03-16-2019, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by ben1272
Oh, I didnt say it was much (if any) worse than another large truck, just that it is not a cheap way to get around. I am amazed how good the mileage is given that it is about as close to a brick wall roaring down the highway at 75mph as can be found!
That's true! To be fair, no one really needs any more than 100 HP and a little car to commute from work to home. Pulling or hauling is a different story. So I'd say most cars are not the most efficient with 300 hp and turbos. If any of you are like me and enjoy the rumble of a v8 then nothing you will drive will ever be the cheapest .

Old 03-16-2019, 01:20 PM

While the interior may be similar there is no comparison of the two trucks (Tahoe and H2), you will not get them confused once you drive the H2.

A few of the buttons on mine showed wear which I put the sticker covers on and all is good,

Neal

Old 03-17-2019, 08:25 AM

One more thing I'll chime in on. As these H2's age they are also to an extent becoming collectable cars. As such one thing that collectors always value above all else is originality. So from an investment and resale perspective that is something to consider and keep in mind. One I see a LOT is people that buy an Adventure package model which has the rear air ride suspension and then when the airbags need replaced or some aspect of the compressor system has an issue is rather than maintain the originality they permanently deny any future owner that feature by ripping it all out and putting coil springs on it. I will say that up to a point, who really cares as they are common but as time goes on there are less and less of these around as more are totalled or scrapped for some reason or another so this and other permanent modifications might be something that should be considered. My thinking is starting to become that is you are looking at buying an H2 then that might be a consideration to find one that does not have that feature versus one that does.

That being said - there might very well be certain modifications that will always be a plus like finding an extremely rare factory Onstar delete dash pocket and removing the old analog Onstar that can never be used anyways in favor of more storage. That pocket though, not many were made. They were only made for export H2's as all domestic US and Canada models came with Onstar. Fixing or replacing the upper roof clearance lights gaskets and grommets in some manner that will prevent them from leaking (I'm not find of an ugly smear of near impossible to ever fully remove silicone around the smaller ones though). Just thinking out loud really. I've even done some things to mine that go against an all originality value idea. Its just something that I've started thinking about some from an investment perspective is all.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
One more thing I'll chime in on. As these H2's age they are also to an extent becoming collectable cars. As such one thing that collectors always value above all else is originality. So from an investment and resale perspective that is something to consider and keep in mind. One I see a LOT is people that buy an Adventure package model which has the rear air ride suspension and then when the airbags need replaced or some aspect of the compressor system has an issue is rather than maintain the originality they permanently deny any future owner that feature by ripping it all out and putting coil springs on it. I will say that up to a point, who really cares as they are common but as time goes on there are less and less of these around as more are totalled or scrapped for some reason or another so this and other permanent modifications might be something that should be considered. My thinking is starting to become that is you are looking at buying an H2 then that might be a consideration to find one that does not have that feature versus one that does.

That being said - there might very well be certain modifications that will always be a plus like finding an extremely rare factory Onstar delete dash pocket and removing the old analog Onstar that can never be used anyways in favor of more storage. That pocket though, not many were made. They were only made for export H2's as all domestic US and Canada models came with Onstar. Fixing or replacing the upper roof clearance lights gaskets and grommets in some manner that will prevent them from leaking (I'm not find of an ugly smear of near impossible to ever fully remove silicone around the smaller ones though). Just thinking out loud really. I've even done some things to mine that go against an all originality value idea. Its just something that I've started thinking about some from an investment perspective is all.
I am with you on that one. Originality typically pays more on a collector car. Most of my views when it comes to modifications if from a mechanics point of view. The closer you leave everything to stock the easier it will be for someone to work on and easier to find parts. My dad gave me a 1949 Chevy pickup that the previous owner converted to 4x4. As you can imagine my dad hasn't drove that truck in years. When it came to me getting it going again, I had the fun task of getting part. He nor I had any idea the vehicles the axles came from or the year of the engine or transfer case. After MANY MANY hours at the parts store and online, I found out that the front axle is from an 70s International pickup, the rear I am still not sure because I didn't have to work on it but I thing a 3/4 ton Chevy, the transfer case from an OLD ******* jeep (two sticks), and the engine an 1969 Chevy 292. The moral of the story is Modifications can make life a HUMONGOUS pain later down the road, especially if you didn't do it.

I do not think that a H2 needs much in modification. Maybe a roof rack and a few lights. The ladders going up the back side seem cool. I REALLY think that it could use a bumper that protrudes out life most vehicles have but a winch on the front does a pretty good job of giving that look. The 6.0 vortec could use a little kick of horse power. But that all just my thought.

If someone has an air suspension model can't they just leave it alone if it doesn't work? Unplug the compressor and leave it be, the coil springs will do their job.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:52 PM

Would anyone take a slight gamble on a high mileage h2? I'm not going to do it or anything but I'm curious on options. I can tell from the pictures that it has low oil pressure at idle. Could just need a oil change or an oil pump. Done plenty of oil pumps on the 5.3. Other than that it looks extremely nice with minor interior wear. I would probably feel more comfortable if I knew the transmission was replaced recently.

https://turbo.cars.com/vdp/748629540?partnerlf=bottom&aff=turbotrp29

Old 03-18-2019, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by BowerPower
Would anyone take a slight gamble on a high mileage h2? I'm not going to do it or anything but I'm curious on options. I can tell from the pictures that it has low oil pressure at idle. Could just need a oil change or an oil pump. Done plenty of oil pumps on the 5.3. Other than that it looks extremely nice with minor interior wear. I would probably feel more comfortable if I knew the transmission was replaced recently.

https://turbo.cars.com/vdp/748629540?partnerlf=bottom&aff=turbotrp29
Plenty of new 2 owners bought high mileage rigs and aside from normal maintenance issues they have been great rigs. Personally, I can't stand the 08/09 interiors, they are TOO refined for my taste. In something that was built for offroad capability, the 08/09 interiors just don't belong.

Mixman makes some good points but honestly, a lot of those rare H2 specific parts not many will ever know about unless they have done a ton of research. There's still people who comment that an H2 is just a Tahoe which shows pure ignorance and lack of information.

Most modifications people make are roof racks, lights, fender flares, bumpers, things like that, mods that improve offroading. However, there are those who rip everything out, soundproof the thing, and install $10k in stereo equipment with 24" wheels lol but hey, to each their own.

Aside from Road Armor/Rhino and a couple other brands, aftermarket bumpers are fairly limited at this point of the game. I have reached out to some fabricators who claim to make winch bumpers for the 2s and never heard back from them. Other accessories like wheel flares and GOBI stuff can still all be had. Keep in mind, you will wait at least 4-6 months to get ANYTHING from GOBI which is a joke.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
Plenty of new 2 owners bought high mileage rigs and aside from normal maintenance issues they have been great rigs. Personally, I can't stand the 08/09 interiors, they are TOO refined for my taste. In something that was built for offroad capability, the 08/09 interiors just don't belong.

Mixman makes some good points but honestly, a lot of those rare H2 specific parts not many will ever know about unless they have done a ton of research. There's still people who comment that an H2 is just a Tahoe which shows pure ignorance and lack of information.

Most modifications people make are roof racks, lights, fender flares, bumpers, things like that, mods that improve offroading. However, there are those who rip everything out, soundproof the thing, and install $10k in stereo equipment with 24" wheels lol but hey, to each their own.

Aside from Road Armor/Rhino and a couple other brands, aftermarket bumpers are fairly limited at this point of the game. I have reached out to some fabricators who claim to make winch bumpers for the 2s and never heard back from them. Other accessories like wheel flares and GOBI stuff can still all be had. Keep in mind, you will wait at least 4-6 months to get ANYTHING from GOBI which is a joke.
I'm still on the fence about the two interiors. Everyone seems to say that the 08 is better in many ways. I like the buttons and such in the older one but the dash vents arent my style and my other half says the dash vents remind him of old Pontiacs he grew up with and he hates it. I dont like the stupid clock on the dash or the boring buttons and 4wd ****. But I dont mind more horse power and a less creaky interior.

Way to many chromed out h2s on 22 inch wheel around town. I'm worried those would make mine look less cool. Lol. I know there are some out there to be had with a good deal and I'll keep looking and interior wont necessarily be the deciding factor since they both have their ups and down. Like many say any year will impress you. If I could only test drive a few for a couple days to truly know the difference.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:11 AM

To help with the years
if you are planning to tow long distances or thru hills then 08-09
if you need a fancy interior which is more stylish and want to avoid the noisy plastics or you need the truck for long trips then 08-09

if you are looking for a toy to go offroad. Drive around. Tow in town . A hummer with an tough interior that feels more like a truck. Then 03-07

I have a 06 and love it. But in a future I would like to buy a 08-09 too . Only thing better than a Hummer ... Are Two Hummers

Old 03-19-2019, 07:14 AM

Ah - the venerable dash boobies! That is an endearing bit on the 03-07 models.

Yeah - giant wheels with rubber band tires also ride like total garbage. The creaky plastics are just something that has to be dealt with. It is really not that hard and just takes a little effort. I'm planning on going over mine this summer once I have my truck back on the road. Just need to have a roll of thin adhesive felt or cloth tape. You have probably seen small bits of it before on the edges of some automotive plastics. Just need to apply some to the inner edges of plastics where they come together and/or are in contact with other surfaces. Just have to make sure the surfaces are properly clean so it adheres and stays in place and ideally is not sticking out or visible. I also to an extent agree with LoJac in that the newer models are a bit more I guess, "stiff and rigid". I know I do love the seats in my 03. They are truly some of the most comfortable vehicle seats I have ever sat in, and with what I do for a living (fleet graphics), I have sat in just about every vehicle seat you can imagine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking into a h2 but have some questions.