Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   Hummer H2 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h2-8/)
-   -   Looking into a h2 but have some questions. (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h2-8/looking-into-h2-but-have-some-questions-41053/)

BowerPower 03-14-2019 11:56 AM

Looking into a h2 but have some questions.

I dont have a hummer yet but as many people do, I have a few questions. I am not a truck fan since I would rarely use a bed. I want something unique with offroad capabilities. I have always liked the hummer h1 but 06 being the only year I'd want but it's way out of my price range... forever. I looked at h2 prices the other day and noticed that many are below $20,000. I thought that is not bad. I started doing research into what makes the h2 so special. I found out that the 4x4 and traction control system is rather sophisticated. The chassis and all the parts are essentially 3/4 ton parts which is hard to find in a SUV. Needless to say it's not the Tahoe rebody like everyone thinks. It's an offroad monster but you guys already know that. On to the questions...

1. First and for most, where do you guys find aftermarket parts and accessories like bumpers, fender flares, and roof racks? It doesn't seem that there is a company that keeps it all in one place. They arent that old yet parts like that are more sparse than I'd expect.

2. I'm still trying to figure out what year to aim for. I know 08-09 have a different interior, engine and trans but larger price tag. I feel 07 would be the year to shoot for since it should have everything fixed as much as possible. Is there a disadvantage to the more common 03-04 vs the 06-07 models.

3. Is the 6.2 and 6 speed as heavy duty oriented as needed. It's our of the Denali and escalade but intended for soccer moms. I dont want to mess with things like variable valve timing or a more complicated trans that could have trouble. To my reading the 6 speed is 6l80 vs the 4 speed 4l60/65. Technically the 4 speed isnt as strong but that can be fixed with a proper rebuild. Supposedly the stronger 4l65 was added in 05. Just wondering your thoughts on the 6.2 vs the 6.0. I feel the 6.0 was intended for harder working applications. The horse power difference can me fixed with a little work.

4. If and when I get one, I will go offroad some and tow. What else is weak other than the steering components? Is it pretty similar to the trucks and Tahoe. Wheel bearings, ball joints, and the occasional water pump? I am a mechanic so trucks of the same years I see a lot of them and are familiar with general GM problems.

5. Is there an option to look for or stay away from? It looks like the luxury package is a bunch of chrome. The adventure package is mostly just for the air suspension. Or am I missing anything.

6. I an curious on how everyone feels about the third row of seats. I have seen bo seats, one seat and two seats. What is the first year for two seats? I wouldn't use the seats often but I would imagine it would be nice to have. Do the seats get in the way of cargo even when layed down? Is the one seat a good compromise? Most years seem to have just one seat. I realized they can be removed.

I know this post is long but I know you all enjoy talking H2 so I doubt you will mind to much. I do loads of research before I buy a long term vehicle and somethings aren't clarified like I'd like so that's why I am here. I am sure that most of you are with me when I say that I'd like to see more hummers with owners that will treat them with taste and not chrome them out with stupid body kits and 28 inch wheels and rubberband thin tires.

hmer 03-14-2019 10:36 PM

welcome to the hummer fever world . im gona try to answer your questions in a short answer . I had owned all 3 H1 only for a short amount of time the 3 and 2 for a longer period of time my current H2 is an 04 .

1 parts are harder to find for 03 to 07 depending on what area you are in for 08 09 its bit easier but not cheap . im in Los angeles now when i first got my 04 i was in Houston so there was a few junk yards with H2 parts available but not cheap at all . so depending on the year you end up buying you will have to do a mix of online and local research for parts .

2 if it was me looking for a 2 with what i know now ill be trying to stay up to 08 09 years

now for the rest i will stay away from air suspension dont want to deal with airbags or the compresor ,the third row seat in my H2 was missing from the day i got it and to be honest you wont miss that thing all it does is take up space back there . the rear outside tire carrier in my opinion is better than the interior option for the same reason as the rear seat (space) .

calif phil 03-15-2019 08:49 AM

I have had an 03 and now an 06 and they are equally impressive. I say stick with the 03-07 style. The interior looks better and that will fall in line with your budget better. Look for a rust free vehicle with a nice interior. The rest of the truck is just normal GM maintenance that you will be familiar with. p.s. make sure the mirrors fold. They are expensive.

legerwn 03-15-2019 09:30 AM

I haven't had my 08 H2 for a ling time (around a year I believe), when looking i was looking at the 03 to 07 but most I found had door panel issues. The door panels are around $800 apiece and higher from what I could find. The interior of the 08 and 09 models are updated to the newer style trucks somewhat and the engine is to. The 6.2l and 6l80 are straight from the HD truck line also so they are proven also. The VVT engine is an advanced design with variable valve timing and it works as it should, I did have to replace the phaser bolt on mine as it was setting off a cam timing DTC which was caused by a plugged filter in the bolt.

The 6.2l and the 6l80 are used in most all of the HD trucks, when the BB was phased out the 6.2 took over and the 6l80 is part of the 80 series trans which are the HD trans.

The third row seat is just back there most of the time, I don't ever use them I can put 5 adults in the front and middle seat comfortably with out issue. Mine usually stays folded up and out of the way, I have the rear bumper mount spare tied so not inside.

These trucks are built for the off road so either years will perform in that arena.

I think it comes down to your preference as to what year you like the best.

Hope this helps,

Neal

Tran2tran 03-15-2019 11:04 AM

H2 choices

I have had two 2003 H2 and both had issues with the transmission. Had to replace both transmission and I am the original owner of both. Currently I have an 2008 and it’s much better with the bigger engine and transmission plus a full third row seating

Originally Posted by BowerPower (Post 358717)
I dont have a hummer yet but as many people do, I have a few questions. I am not a truck fan since I would rarely use a bed. I want something unique with offroad capabilities. I have always liked the hummer h1 but 06 being the only year I'd want but it's way out of my price range... forever. I looked at h2 prices the other day and noticed that many are below $20,000. I thought that is not bad. I started doing research into what makes the h2 so special. I found out that the 4x4 and traction control system is rather sophisticated. The chassis and all the parts are essentially 3/4 ton parts which is hard to find in a SUV. Needless to say it's not the Tahoe rebody like everyone thinks. It's an offroad monster but you guys already know that. On to the questions...

1. First and for most, where do you guys find aftermarket parts and accessories like bumpers, fender flares, and roof racks? It doesn't seem that there is a company that keeps it all in one place. They arent that old yet parts like that are more sparse than I'd expect.

2. I'm still trying to figure out what year to aim for. I know 08-09 have a different interior, engine and trans but larger price tag. I feel 07 would be the year to shoot for since it should have everything fixed as much as possible. Is there a disadvantage to the more common 03-04 vs the 06-07 models.

3. Is the 6.2 and 6 speed as heavy duty oriented as needed. It's our of the Denali and escalade but intended for soccer moms. I dont want to mess with things like variable valve timing or a more complicated trans that could have trouble. To my reading the 6 speed is 6l80 vs the 4 speed 4l60/65. Technically the 4 speed isnt as strong but that can be fixed with a proper rebuild. Supposedly the stronger 4l65 was added in 05. Just wondering your thoughts on the 6.2 vs the 6.0. I feel the 6.0 was intended for harder working applications. The horse power difference can me fixed with a little work.

4. If and when I get one, I will go offroad some and tow. What else is weak other than the steering components? Is it pretty similar to the trucks and Tahoe. Wheel bearings, ball joints, and the occasional water pump? I am a mechanic so trucks of the same years I see a lot of them and are familiar with general GM problems.

5. Is there an option to look for or stay away from? It looks like the luxury package is a bunch of chrome. The adventure package is mostly just for the air suspension. Or am I missing anything.

6. I an curious on how everyone feels about the third row of seats. I have seen bo seats, one seat and two seats. What is the first year for two seats? I wouldn't use the seats often but I would imagine it would be nice to have. Do the seats get in the way of cargo even when layed down? Is the one seat a good compromise? Most years seem to have just one seat. I realized they can be removed.

I know this post is long but I know you all enjoy talking H2 so I doubt you will mind to much. I do loads of research before I buy a long term vehicle and somethings aren't clarified like I'd like so that's why I am here. I am sure that most of you are with me when I say that I'd like to see more hummers with owners that will treat them with taste and not chrome them out with stupid body kits and 28 inch wheels and rubberband thin tires.

mulepic 03-15-2019 01:05 PM

We tow w/ our '08 H2 and I had to have the 6 speed for towing...wish it had 8. We came from a 7.3l diesel excursion and hated towing w/ a 4 speed. Any sort of incline and you're always in the wrong gear going way too slow or too fast to be safe. 6 speed was a must have and the extra HP of the 6.2.

skiracer 03-15-2019 06:17 PM

My first H2 was an '06 Adventure series that I won in a sales contest (2 yr, 40k mi) and after turning it in we acquired an '06 Special Edition model that was loaded but came from the midwest w/ rust. Drove it for 7 years, put 75k miles on it and sold it 2 years ago (for $5k less than what I paid for it) and bought an '08 that had been well taken care of and no rust anywhere. The '08 is better in every way IMO - I prefer the redesigned interior, the 6.2L motor and the 6-speed tranny. Both of my '06's vibrated and got really loud above 70 mph, and the '08 remains quiet and stable at 85-90 mph no problem. In addition to off-roading, we also use it to get to my ski home in the mountains so a lot of highway driving on the interstate. I never even considered an H2 as an investment but my experience is that they hold value like very few vehicles out there. Best of luck w/ your decision!

BowerPower 03-16-2019 02:02 AM

So far, I have learned that most hummer people are like most Corvette people. You end up with more than one in your life. It's not a bad thing of course, I just found it funny. I do appreciate everyone's input and thank you.

I would say hummer fever is an understatement. It's all I can think about until I decide on 03-07 or 08-09. My biggest problem with the 08 is that the interior kinda reminds me of a Tahoe/Silverado which is annoying. I want to feel like I am in a hummer. Am 07 would probably do the same with the 4x4 buttons and climate control. For the most part, I can admire that the 08 style interior is more refined with it's design. Deep down I want the 6.2 and I know the 6 speed is a better option for literally everything. My only worry is that my friend who used to work at the chevy dealer said it was common to see the 6 speeds with problems when bigger tires are added and heavy right foot but if you guys are ok then maybe I'm over worried.

For those of you with a climate control panel like the one in the 08, what do you do about the buttons fading and turning into a solid color? I see if often in Tahoe's.

In Arkansas, where I am right now, and the surrounding states, a nice 05-07 goes for 15-20 while a 08 goes for 25-30. The price difference doesn't seem to be that bad anymore. I did find a high mileage (230,000 mi) 08 for 15. I'm not fond of that many miles because a transmission is due if not already done. The leather showed a little wear. Not bad for those many miles I'd say. All of those are asking prices. I'm sure a deal is to be made. If prices are around that then I'm definitely going to look for an 08.

I told BF about my idea with an H2. He said hes always wanted one. Hes talking about it like he can already see one in the driveway. What an impulse buy but we are excited! Once some things settle down we will be full on in the market but I'm going to keep my eye out and keep bugging you guys with questions. What are you guys thinking on those prices? All but that ones was around 100,000 miles give or take a few.

ben1272 03-16-2019 09:12 AM

I have a 07 SUT. It is one of the nicest riding, comfortable vehicles I have ever driven. I have found the bed useful many times, and the fold-down rear seat useful a couple of times. Generally it is hauling me around the highway, but I can say that I have found it is very good in snowy conditions. I have not taken it off-road, but as OP says, my read is that it has a pretty sophisticated 4x4 control system that few (if any) SUVs can claim. It is a great truck and you wont be disappointed, other than the hefty gasoline thirst. I love it to pieces and can imagine keeping it until I cant climb into it anymore.

BowerPower 03-16-2019 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by ben1272 (Post 358795)
I have a 07 SUT. It is one of the nicest riding, comfortable vehicles I have ever driven. I have found the bed useful many times, and the fold-down rear seat useful a couple of times. Generally it is hauling me around the highway, but I can say that I have found it is very good in snowy conditions. I have not taken it off-road, but as OP says, my read is that it has a pretty sophisticated 4x4 control system that few (if any) SUVs can claim. It is a great truck and you wont be disappointed, other than the hefty gasoline thirst. I love it to pieces and can imagine keeping it until I cant climb into it anymore.

I dont get why everyone says is a gas hog. It is but not any more than any other 4x4 with 35 inch tires. Around 14 on the highway and 11-12 in town. The lifted 4x4s I see at work, the computers claim 11-13. My 93 blazer gets right under 13 in town with 33 inch tires. To be fair I think the hummer is fine with its mpg.