Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

LED side marker lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 10:00 AM

Definitely better to remove the entire panel. I broke my storage tray trying to get it out.

Old 05-23-2021, 03:28 PM

I think everything turned out ok. Buying the parts is easy, doing the work always take 3x more time than I expect.
I have 22 more projects to go! (on this truck)

Old 05-24-2021, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by formerjeep
Anyone have to replace their LED side marker lights yet? My rear passenger side one stopped working. I see that it is LED, which stinks that it went out after 4 years. But after unscrewing it, it seems that they are hard wired in, or atleast I cannot see how to unattach it. The GM Dealer quoted me around $90just for the unit, but I have no clue how to replace it other than splicing it in, and there is no way I'm paying them to install. I haven't purchased anything yet, maybe someone can lead me elsewhere.
Why not fit in-line connectors, that way it's easier to replace/fit later and cheap.

On day when mine finally fails, I'll do a video on how to repair a marker light.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:30 PM

I've seen the video before I started this project. I'm guessing some goof just cut the wires and did the easy way. In the UK the side markers can't be red? They are red in the US. Anyway, of course the easy non-factory connector approach is certainly valid, but I try to minimize my hack jobs and use the factory connectors. Just an OCD thing I suppose.

Old 05-25-2021, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by oceanbrave
Why not fit in-line connectors, that way it's easier to replace/fit later and cheap.

On day when mine finally fails, I'll do a video on how to repair a marker light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phclbq8hseo
I wouldn't recommend inline connectors. It already has a connector so now you'd be introducing a new possible point of failure. Plus it's not factory to do it this way. Removal of the interior trim really isn't that difficult if you want it done correctly. Also, with a smaller hand it is possible to reach in and unplug.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:12 AM

Hummers were originally imported by Bauer Millett UK, so amber markers had to be fitted to meet UK regulations, this will have been done under agreement with GM to comply with their warranty.

Pulling apart the interior runs the risk of damaging the plastic etc, so on this point it could be argued that fitting connectors is the least worst of the two evils.

Connectors are likely more reliable than the markers themselves and it will be quicker and easier to service the 2nd time around, 2 screws and job done. As well as MTBF (Mean Time Between Failures) there is also MTTR (Mean Time To Repair) so it's balance between the two factors.

The connectors in the video are indeed cheap and poor quality, however there are really nice, good quality, automotive in-line connectors available, at the end of the day they're well hidden out of sight.

All that's changing are the marker wires themselves, so it's not like hacking the main harness, that's is to say, you can always go back (think that's true?)

Not everything can be done "factory" here in the UK, e.g flashing red turn signals have to be amber, tow wiring & connector different, no On-Star service, fog-lights required, there's quite a few changes required, plus we have no GM dealerships here.

Also modern radios, media centers, android-auto, Sat Nav are not factory, so it's a hard rule to adhere to, I'll bet most Hummers will now have some aftermarket stuff like coil springs, LED headlights etc.

Last edited by oceanbrave; 05-25-2021 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:27 AM

Here in the states for marker and/or clearance lights it is always amber at the front half and red at the rear half of a vehicle, trailer, etc. It is for aiding others in knowing which direction something is facing.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:37 AM

How common are h2s over there?

Old 05-25-2021, 11:45 AM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by fastNYsix
How common are h2s over there?
Heck they are not common over here! All too old now. Sad.

Old 05-25-2021, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by oceanbrave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phclbq8hseo
Nothing wrong with inline connectors if sealed properly, electrical tape is not waterproof!

• Insulate and splice electrical wires with the Gardner Bender 4 fl. oz. black electrical tape
  • The waterproof formula resists damage caused by chemicals and UV rays
  • Liquid "paint on" application doesn't unravel or deteriorate like traditional electrical tape
  • Easy application in small spaces where wrapping tape would be difficult
  • Quick and simple to apply on larger splices that would require a lot of tape