Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Leak from rain into cargo area

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Parabellum8086
Wow!
I can't believe no one else has the same issue that you and I have here!
I just purchased a 2007 Base model H3, and boy, am I having leak issues!!!
First, it was the sunroof drain lines (BOTH OF THEM!!!) After I thought it was taken care of, I began to install an aftermarket stereo system (2 amps, a crossover, and 13 speakers). I soon realized that before I began, I was going to have to pull my carpet out and replace all of the old underlayment.
It was SATURATED!!!
Soon after getting down to bare metal (I removed damn-near every piece of plastic from inside that you could imagine), I discovered that water was STILL managing to find its way in from somewhere on the passenger side!!!
So, I took my water hose, laid it on top of the roof, and got inside of the vehicle and closed the door. I then looked around the top edge of the passenger's side very carefully, and there it was:
At the top, in the very back of the vehicle above the far back right-side window, water was coming in through an ENORMOUS crack underneath the track/rail on the roof!!!
Apparently, the manufacture (or a PO) used some sort of seam sealer or bondo to seal a gaping hole underneath the track/rail.
OMG, the amount of water that is underneath the rubber floor mat in the back cargo area...

What the f#@& was GM thinking whenever they designed this vehicle?
Why didn't their fabricators WELD the two pieces of metal together instead?
I'm left scratching my head...
For now, I used Flex-Seal (the spray AND the tape). I removed the track/rail, and sprayed a generous amount (about a half of a can) onto the hole, and along the entire length of the seam. Inside, I used the spray, then the tape, then some more spray.
New underlayment is here. Just waiting until the coast is clear before I start putting new material down.
For now, I just want my music, and to be able to actually enjoy riding around in my 'new' vehicle. I'll remove my amps & crossover later, and rip out the old underlayment from the back cargo area as well.
I'm afraid to even remove the driver-side track/rail, in fear of opening up a Pandora's Box...
Here is a tip........ You dug up a Thread from 2006! That is almost SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO!!!!! Nobody in this thread at that time is here any more and we do not give a Rat's Butt about this old dawg's content. Avoid digging up OLD THREADS! READ: Old Threads/'Necro-Bumping'