Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Interior spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 09:23 PM
Default Interior spare tire

hi all! newb to Hummer and the forum.. but have already gleaned good info here since aquiring our new 03 joy just 8 weeks ago! 😀
trying to keep it simple and short here.... i immediately pulled the spare tire mount from the interior cuz man, theres just no room with it in there!
..led me to this question though... how have you guys plugged those two interior quarter panel holes where the mount bolted up to the body?? ..i know, i know.. seems like a silly thing but i like things clean ok?
local chevy dealer cant find a GM part. auto parts store (and we have 5 diff ones in this town of 5000!) dont have anything big enough. ...?
thanks, and WE LOVE OUR (NEW TO US) H2!!
H2O💦

Old 03-14-2019, 06:29 AM

Mine are still open..... I have not taken the time to measure them but there are some thin black plastic plugs that come in sizes up to a few inches you can get on Amazon. Just would want to paint them to match in color. The tops would be smooth though. If you really wanted to go all out you might be able to first spray them with some texture paint then the color.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:22 AM

thanks MixMan.
ya, i do have available relatively close an industrial hardware store i could probably pick that kind of thing up, but i was just really amazed that GM didn't have any thing made for it, or that someone else may have come up with something more "OEM".

..on another note.. if i wanted to sell the whole assembly, how best to put that out here?

still wet... H2O

Old 03-14-2019, 12:16 PM

Got me curious.... as I'm in the same scenario. I took the inside spare tire mount out. So it appears as though H2's that came with the external spare does not have a plug in the panel hole. At least not the very rearmost one. Cannot tell from the pictures but it might be a knockout but its defintiley perfectly smooth on the visible side. The rear hole is there though. I think it will just be a matter of finding just the right size hole plug. I have seen some before that do even have some slight texture.

Both styles.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283395984473
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282923603323

Old 03-14-2019, 12:19 PM

I took mine off and just put the bolts back in to fill the holes. I didn't do anything to cover it. I would think you'd have to make something custom if that's what you're trying to do

Old 03-15-2019, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by hummer_on_fumes
I took mine off and just put the bolts back in to fill the holes. I didn't do anything to cover it. I would think you'd have to make something custom if that's what you're trying to do
Yes, same here. It ensures you have the bolts if you want to put the carrier back in. It's a Hummer. You'll forget the tire carrier was even there and the bolts won't bother you in the least bit, and i'm one of the most picky guys when it comes to my trucks.

Mixman, that interior trim panel is from a 2005 to 2007 H2. In 2005 they offered ebony and all H2's had external spare that year and onwards so there was no need for the back knock-out. The forward knock-out was still required for the jack-mount & tools.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:28 AM

..well... i thought it would be pretty easy to update what resolution i came up with, including pics and procedure but everything i entered last night in that reply is not here. am i missing something???

Old 03-16-2019, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by H2-O
..well... i thought it would be pretty easy to update what resolution i came up with, including pics and procedure but everything i entered last night in that reply is not here. am i missing something???
your account probably doesn't have enough posts to let you upload photos