PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the hunt for our first H2

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Default On the hunt for our first H2

Hello everyone!

Brand new member on the hunt for our first H2. We (fiance and I) are car people, but never considered an H2 until recently and it just seems to make sense for us.

Anyway, we are looking for used (obviously). A major issue that we are hung up on is whether we should go 2003-2007 or 2008-2009.

For those of you that may have driven or better yet owned both, can you comment on the 4 speed vs. 6 speed and 6.0L vs 6.2L? Particularly in terms of daily driving and highway driving?

We are looking for something with 35k miles or less on it if that matters. Our mindset is that we would rather get something older with less miles than newer with more miles. Anything wrong with this line of thought as it pertains to the H2?

Additionally, while we really want the OEM navigation for it's smooth OEM look, I'm not sure it makes sense. I'm thinking that with an out of production vehicle like this an aftermarket NAV/DVD/BLUETOOTH/ETC head unit makes more sense due to continued support and updates. I would appreciate any feedback on this aspect as well.

BTW, is there a buyer's guide or anything for used H2s? I've searched but came up dry.

Thanks for your help. Can't wait to be an owner.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:43 PM

Picking out an h2 and factoring what radio or navigation it has is foolish. The cheapest aftermarket navigation will blow the stock head units away.

I'd look for 04+, low mileage, preferably no air ride- but that shouldn't be a deal breaker either.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:53 AM

Thanks for the feedback.

Good point point on the air ride. It looks like replacement package to springs is only a few hundred dollars, so I won't let that sway me too much.

Old 08-29-2012, 07:40 AM

Love our 03 H2.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:27 PM

Obviuosly the 08+ H2 is better, because its a bit more efficient and more powerful, however, looking on the net, there is a pretty big price gap between 07 and 08 H2's. So, if you don't want to spend too much, go for a good 03-07 H2. It shouldn't matter if it has a factory nav or not, you can just pick an oem GM navi system off of ebay for cheap, and install it. Just a side note, if you like changing cars every two years or so, then stay away from hummer because they have a very slow market (no one is buying them b/c of fuel economy). If you are going to keep it for over three years, then go ahead and get it.
Good luck

Old 08-29-2012, 05:46 PM

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. We have a lead on an 04 that seems like a great deal. Hoping it will be around next week when we can get out to see it.

I'd post a link here, but I don't want to risk having it sniped from us.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:19 PM

I'd go for an '07 as it is the last of the old interior style and has the bugs worked out that came with the earlier models. Some of the problems included the mirrors not working right, issues with the air suspension, radio buttons fading, and if you're into it, the '07's also got duel rear seat dvd players in the headrest vs. single dvd using up almost all of the center console space. All of that has been addressed for the '07 year and these problems are almost non-existent.
As for the nav, you'll get the hard headed guys who'll tell you how much better the aftermarket units are, but as you stated, the factory is more suited looks wise and works with the factory Bose system. Alot of guys have swapped in aftermarket units and had to deal with figuring out which adapters will make it all work, and sometimes had to compromise. My question with an aftermarket head unit is that is doesn't dim with the headlight dimmer switch. I'm more of a purist and would go with the factory nav---upgraded discs are readily available.
If you go with an 08-up H2, you get better trans, engine and much improved (no squeeks) interior that feels much more refined and car like if you're into that. Alot of the purist H2 guys like the 07 and down H2's for the "dash boobies".
I'd recommend going with what you're comfortable spending and get as much as you can. Also remember that several years of the H2's had "Limited Editions", like the 06 & 07 models in burnt orange or bright blue with some upgraded features. The 07 models were Glacier Blue or Red with extra features. 08 & 09 also had LE's with unique colors as well.
Enjoy the hunt, hope you get something special!

BTW--we love our '07 H2 no weird issues and have driven it all over the country.

Last edited by twinmill28; 08-29-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:44 AM

I bought mine a little over a year ago, a 2006 with just under 32k on the odo. I went from a 2006 GTO with 78k so it was definitely better in the milage department.

From what I've researched most of the issues mentioned above were worked out in 2006 and on which was the main factor in me buying an 06. I have not had (knock on wood) any of the major issues the earlier models have had other than the interior rattles and the body mounts popping every now and again.

The interiors played a HUGE role in my decision. Sure the 08/09 interiors are more refined but you're buying a Hummer now an escalade. I like the utalitarian look of the 07 and older interiors much better. I added the CF look dash pieces and it really dresses the interior up.

Also the price gap from 06/07's to the 08/09's were ridiculous even with high miles on the newer ones. I just couldn't pass up an 06 with less than 32k.

Its funny you mentioned never looking at hummers before. I actually couldn't stand them. I stopped by my dealership and took mine for a test drive just for the hell of it and instantly fell in love with the thing. Bought it that night!

Good luck and let us know what you go with.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:20 AM

I'll definitely check back in as things develop. Now I'm second guessing the 04 based on the last 2 comments.

It's on 04, 27k miles, asking $31k. Has new wheels & tires, slight lift it appears, and aftermarket running boards. Clean carfax as well. The owner has only put $4k miles on it and doesn't know a lot about the mods that the prior owner did. The prior owner was the sheriff for his area who bought it after a settlement for a car crash he was in (different car) and then added the mods. The sheriff then bought a Tundra, same color, similar mods, and realized he didn't need two vehicles that were so similar. (so the story goes).

Sounds like the current owner bought it with thoughts of it being a great family vehicle to go camping, etc, but doesn't like how dirty his kids get the inside, so he just wants to get a pickup for that.

The owner is willing to let me have it checked out. Do I just run by any GM dealership for that or does it need to be Cadillac, or ???

Old 08-30-2012, 12:06 PM

04 owner, 32,xxx miles. Love it.

Unless your comfortable paying that, I think its about 5-6G to high....

Quick Reply: On the hunt for our first H2