Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

How to remove these?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 11:39 AM
Default How to remove these?

When I purchased my 08 the prior owner put chrome covers over the simulated air intake vent covers. I want to take them off and hopefully the original covers wont get damaged. Im hoping the paint underneath is also in good shape.

Any suggestion on how to remove them or perhaps someone else here has already tackled the same thing,, I have no idea of how they were attached, 2 sided tape, silicone, who knows?

In a past life I might have liked them but now just want to stay as original as possible. Thx

Chrome air intake cover over the originals,

Old 08-25-2021, 07:54 AM

Are they basically 'caps' or are they complete replacement covers? Hard to tell from the photo.

If caps - I'd start searching the web for someone selling something similar, eBay etc...that should give you an idea of how they attach. Might be Glue, Double-sided tape, Velcro etc...

For Covers: Not sure on an H2 -- But the H3 is just held on by 3 standard automotive plastic fasteners, basically you just pull upwards until the fasteners pop out.
They look very similar to the H3 --- So maybe worth a try, But before you try, I'd search YouTube, maybe someone has a specific video for the H2.

The ones on my H3 could use some dressing up, I plan to hit them with some Black PlastiDip in the future, along with the Wheels and the Chrome grill, I'm not a fan of the fake chrome either.

Good Luck, Let us know how they ended up being attached.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:28 AM
Old 08-25-2021, 06:10 PM

I have found a number of aftermarket companies that sell these chrome covers. From what I can tell most of them are held on with 3m 2 sided tape.

I imagine I could use a heat gun and warm them up on the top and see if I can carefully remove them without damaging the factory covers underneath. I might just leave the H2 in the sun for a few hours and try to get them off.

I think my major problem is I know they have been installed for at least a couple of years so I am sure the tape has set up good.

Old 08-25-2021, 08:39 PM

Now you know how to remove the vent covers! Remove them and spray underneath with an adhesive remover!
My go to on plastic is goo gone, and on metal is wd40. I've removed adhesive/stickers for over 20yrs without a problem using these 2, on items with a lot more value $$$$!

Old 08-25-2021, 09:07 PM

Hummerz, so your thought is to soak the seam with adhesive remover/ WD40 and the try to split them apart. Do you think either of those would hurt the original paint underneath the chrome cover?

I want the chrome covers gone but the thought of having to repaint the original covers might be an issue especially trying to match the Solar flare orange paint. Great suggestion, would never had come up with that idea, lol