Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

How much differential oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 02:09 PM
Default How much differential oil?

GM recommends, from the manual, quote:-

"To get an accurate reading, the vehicle should be on a level surface.

When the differential is cold, the proper level is from 5/8 inch to 1-5/8 inch (15 mm to 40 mm) below the bottom of the filler plug hole. Add only enough fluid to reach the proper level."

This seems seems tricky to measure accurately if at all.

On other quote 1.9L (2Q) also read "fill till it pours out the filler hole" which seems a popular philosophy.

So what do the mechanical experts suggest?

hummerz I know you'll know, so please don't beat me up on this one. BTW the claw-hammer is back in the wood yard 🙄

Old 10-17-2021, 03:02 PM

No need for the claw, instead pull out the level and check surface. The plug is 5/8" deep, therefore you fill until the fluid reaches the top of the inside of the differential. Stick a finger inside to the first joint, to check level, and fill & check until you see fluid on the tip of your finger. 5/8" from the outside of the case is spot on, yet make sure you are on level ground.

Last edited by hummerz; 10-17-2021 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 03:30 PM

Ah GM manual rules ... thanks hummerz

Just been out in the dead of night, put my pinkie through the fill hole and could just get the very end wet with oil, so I guess its OK ✔️✔️

Incidentally, I put in 2L (2.1 US Quarts) of oil, so 1.9L (2Q) seems to add up and inside GM's range (which is quite generous)

Thanks again 👍

Old 10-17-2021, 08:58 PM

Caution: Those numbers are ONLY for the rear diff, and apply to the 07MY also.

The FRONT diff is 1/4" to 3/8" (6-10 mm) below plug hole when cold. (07MY, maybe other years)
T-case is fill to hole (07MY).

On the diffs, hot will actually read lower, not higher. Kind of counter-intuitive. Because the lube sticks to gears and takes time to run down and pool.

Some mechanics automatically fill to the hole, and guess what......nothing bad happens.
No frothing, no extra wear, etc. It can be problematic on some other vehicle makes and models.
But best to stick to what the shop manual says.

Last edited by finall; 10-21-2021 at 02:10 PM. Reason: typo changed 1.4" to 1/4"
Old 10-18-2021, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by finall
Caution: Those numbers are ONLY for the rear diff, and apply to the 07MY also.

The FRONT diff is 1.4" to 3/8" (6-10 mm) below plug hole when cold. (07MY, maybe other years)
T-case is fill to hole (07MY).

On the diffs, hot will actually read lower, not higher. Kind of counter-intuitive. Because the lube sticks to gears and takes time to run down and pool.

Some mechanics automatically fill to the hole, and guess what......nothing bad happens.
No frothing, no extra wear, etc. It can be problematic on some other vehicle makes and models.
But best to stick to what the shop manual says.
WTF?????? Hold my beer:

Old 10-18-2021, 07:38 PM

Amazing, I was just watching this video !!!!

Old 10-18-2021, 08:39 PM

@hummerz "WTF?????? Hold my beer:"

Hey Bud, what exactly do you disagree with? Try to verbalize better, so we do not all have to guess what you are trying to spew out.
Surprised you did not use rolly eyes this time.

Since there is only one thing on my post that one could question, here is your answer to your "WTF". I should have said rear end instead of gears, just so you understood better. Not sure what the video has to do with it.

"Also, if a vehicle has just been driven before checking the fluid level, it may appear lower than normal because fluid has traveled out along the axle tubes and has not drained back to the sump area. Therefore, a reading taken five minutes after the vehicle has been driven will appear to have a lower fluid level than a vehicle that has been stationary for an hour or two."

Right out of the 07 H2 Owner's manual Page 437 (Can version).

Sorry, not a fan of Royal Purple. But nice pic.

Last edited by finall; 10-18-2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:53 AM

Watch the video again!

Originally Posted by finall
...hot will actually read lower..
No frothing...

Old 10-19-2021, 01:21 PM

Hot reads lower as gear fluid needs time to drain back into the pumpkin.

The video does not show frothing. A little bit of air in the fluid is not 'frothing". Frothing is massive and destructive.

I stand by what I said.

Old 10-19-2021, 02:32 PM

Canuck, from the dictionary: "Froth: (verb
gerund or present participle: Frothing ) agitate (a liquid) so as to produce a mass of small bubbles."

Semi-transparent to frothing:

Quick Reply: How much differential oil?