Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.
View Poll Results: How many miles is too many to buy?
0%
7.14%
7.14%
175k+ or it just doesn't matter
85.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

How many is too many miles to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 07:57 AM

2003 also shows instant MPG in the DIC, I miss that on my 06

All vehicles should have easy to replace external fuel filters, hated to see that go away.

Old 01-05-2023, 06:53 PM
Default Its all about the money,

Originally Posted by calif phil
2003 also shows instant MPG in the DIC, I miss that on my 06

All vehicles should have easy to replace external fuel filters, hated to see that go away.

Amen on that Phil, Another case were GM saw an easy way to save $5.00 on each vehicle that most would never know, there were many cases of that through out the Hummer model years.

Old 01-05-2023, 07:32 PM

Thanks to improved refining processes and environmental standards, today’s automotive gasoline is cleaner when it comes from the pump and cleaner when it burns in the engine. In the past, impurities in gasoline would clog fuel filters, which meant they required regular replacement. Clean modern gasoline and the high-capacity filters used with fuel injection have pretty much eliminated the need for periodic replacement. Top Tier Gas

Old 01-05-2023, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by H2-SUT
Amen on that Phil, Another case were GM saw an easy way to save $5.00 on each vehicle that most would never know, there were many cases of that through out the Hummer model years.
Plastic high-density polyethylene gas tank eliminated the need for a FF!

Old 01-05-2023, 08:14 PM

HummerZ, no doubt your right but I'm old school and prefer a filter I can change.

Our society depends on others to do the right thing, IE refineries, gas stations (that never change their final filters on their pumps), I can't tell you how much crap I find in my Diesel fuel filters on my Duramax, lol.

Old 01-05-2023, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by H2-SUT
Good advice, Over the years I have harvested many GM parts from junk yards building past cars, trucks and projects. Surveying the donor vehicle is the key, there is no general rule of mileage. (now if it has 500k that's a different story) My guess I grabbed is over 2 dozen engines junkyard diving, getting LS, Gen2/3 and a few big blocks and a couple 455 Pontiac engines along the way. Bottom line was the total vehicle assessment was the deciding factory and gave me insight if I should pursue or skip the part I was interested in.

I have seen some with as little as 50k that were toasted and total crap and other with close to 300k that were perfect for a light rebuild, some I was able to just hone up put in some new rings, .001 oversized bearings, new cam, lifters, pumps and they ran like new stuff.
Same rules apply to trans, xfer cases and diffs.

GM for the most part did the right thing with the H2 most of the drive train parts were gotten for the GM HD 2500 truck line (with the exception of the trans) with good care and staying on top of fluid changes all around I would not think twice purchasing a clean one with 225k or not.
If you find a nice clean one consider spending a few bucks for a comprehensive review at a GM dealership. They can check the systems, verify codes and see if something that might be lurking you can't see or don't have tools to check.

Some things just wear out even with good care and reasonable use. A 200k plus H2 will probably be a candidate for ball joints, steering gear, tie rod ends, pitman and idler arms, front half shafts/boots. Power steering pump and Hydroboost unit/master cylinder, and a trans if one has not already been replaced. Other haunting items could be radiator, AC blending doors, misc electronics and so on. And the a biggie, did it come from the snow belt.

An H2 can bring you much joy buying the right one or major misery if you get the wrong one. Do your homework, take your time and look at a bunch of them, know exactly what your willing to spend and time and effort you wish to put into it and keep in mind the vehicle you are looking at is at least 14 years out of production and certain replacement parts can be a challenge to find. Personally I'm on my third and if god forbid it got destroyed I would look for another in a heartbeat, they are that special.
These gen ls engines are crazy. I love seeing some goofball pull one out of a suburban with 300k miles on it and throwing 20lbs of boost at it only for it to never blow up😂

Old 01-06-2023, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Gavin Costigan
These gen ls engines are crazy. I love seeing some goofball pull one out of a suburban with 300k miles on it and throwing 20lbs of boost at it only for it to never blow up😂
That does reassure me!

Old 01-07-2023, 03:43 PM

I go by condition. Mechanicals can easily be fixed (yes for a cost) - however if the interior/exterior is worn or “customized” - it’s a deal breaker for me. No rust, original paint, no accidents, and interior excellent (you can buy the replacement leather seat covers that are just about an exact match) is how I buy.

There are past posts also that are great to research because this seems to be a great question for “new” Hummer h2 buyers.

mechanicals , front end, etc are all common parts. You can restore mechanicals easily (again budget) - body, rust, trashed interiors are very hard to replace…

my 2 cents. On my 4th H2 - only vehicle I have ever owned that I love to own and drive. Nothing else has kept my attention, including many exotics - period.

just personal preference- I would guess even if you left $7500 you could make the mechanicals as new. What else can you have $30k in be like new and people still come up and compliment … don’t rush. Take time and find a clean rust free example. Patience. You will find a diamond.

so - to me high miles may not be a deal breaker if the H2 is in stellar cosmetics.

Old 01-07-2023, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chrmer3
I go by condition. Mechanicals can easily be fixed (yes for a cost) - however if the interior/exterior is worn or “customized” - it’s a deal breaker for me. No rust, original paint, no accidents, and interior excellent (you can buy the replacement leather seat covers that are just about an exact match) is how I buy.

There are past posts also that are great to research because this seems to be a great question for “new” Hummer h2 buyers.

mechanicals , front end, etc are all common parts. You can restore mechanicals easily (again budget) - body, rust, trashed interiors are very hard to replace…

my 2 cents. On my 4th H2 - only vehicle I have ever owned that I love to own and drive. Nothing else has kept my attention, including many exotics - period.

just personal preference- I would guess even if you left $7500 you could make the mechanicals as new. What else can you have $30k in be like new and people still come up and compliment … don’t rush. Take time and find a clean rust free example. Patience. You will find a diamond.

so - to me high miles may not be a deal breaker if the H2 is in stellar cosmetics.

That's where I'm at with it too. I've seen a bunch now that have garbage "mods"... Bad rust... Trashed interiors... Etc. I've got plenty of money put away for things and a lot I can do myself. It's mostly think that require a lift, and engine hoist, or dropping a transmission that I can't handle. Replacing control arms and stuff isn't too hard just someone requires a BFH or long pipe on the wrench.

What's the average transmission life on the 4L65 anyway? That is the one big question mark for me now... How soon will it need doing...

Old 01-07-2023, 04:02 PM

On tranny - Ton of variables. I put a pan with a drain on it and do approx 5 quarts every other oil change. Im sure you will get many replies - if I had to guess I would say 200k is probably average - of course you going to have extremes in both plus/minus as well as service history and abuse
Transfer case also could be a replacement part one day…

Quick Reply: How many is too many miles to buy?