Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

How to improve H2 gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
i have replaced the fuel filter and air filter, replaced all fluids, replaced spark plugs with oem acdelcos, all four gm oxygen sensors. cleaned the throttlebody, removed the spare tire and the third row jump seat, run the BFG TKO's at 40 psi. fether the brake and fuel. none of it drasticly improved MPG at most in city driving i get 7.4 to 8.6 if i do some highway it might go into the high 9's. and i accept thats what it is and ever will be. i beleive 2003 is the only year thay actualy gave you acess to see the onboard MPG on the cluster. in later production HUMMER actualy removed the option cause of so many complaints of MPG.
7.4 to 8.6? I would expect a little more out of it even for a big 20 year old truck. Are you sure nothing's wrong? Might be worth hooking up a scan tool and checking out fuel trims.

Old 02-21-2024, 11:52 AM

I average 13.5 consistently with my 07. I installed the Predator Motorsports "Rap torque" high performance ECU. Before that, I couldn't get over 10 mpg.

I feel its a great tune, more power and smooth as ever. They will send you a reworked/tuned ECU and then you need to send them back another ECU or your old one. Believe I paid about $600 3 years ago, already recouped my money.

Everything else is pretty much stock, although it's all new as I keep my maintenance up to date.

Old 02-21-2024, 01:38 PM

[QUOTE=Gavin Costigan;407184]7.4 to 8.6? I would expect a little more out of it even for a big 20 year old truck. Are you sure nothing's wrong? Might be worth hooking up a scan tool and checking out fuel trims.

short term and long term fuel trims are pretty much at 0 as they should be.
you cant get past 2 blocks without a stop sign or traffic light in the city. also can't go past 25 mph or you get a camara ticket.
most of the time you cant even do the 25 because of traffic.

Last edited by bronxteck; 02-21-2024 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-21-2024, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gavin Costigan
7.4 to 8.6? I would expect a little more out of it even for a big 20 year old truck. Are you sure nothing's wrong? Might be worth hooking up a scan tool and checking out fuel trims.
7.4 to 8.6 is about right in the city.
I’m not sure if I have a avg mile per gallon on my H2 but it tells me how many gallons I used.
I don’t really care either, I just keep it filled up.
When I see cheap gas somewhere I remember it and in the weekend I just top her off.
If this is your everyday ride I say good luck to you.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:25 PM

As HummerZ said, new technology gives you new problems along with better fuel economy. You can roll the dice with custom tunes, cold air intakes, a free flowing exhaust system and eliminating extra weight.
If you don't wish to go that route then keeping up on the maintenance which other have already talked about, there is not much more you can do.

I have known many who have dropped some big bucks on their H2's
with aftermarket intakes, camshafts, headers, changing pistons just to end up with a few extra horses but worse fuel economy then they had before they started. Some of them shooting themselves in the foot for resale value.

Lets face it, It's one heavy rolling brick. Now you could have the new GM 6,6 Gas engine transplanted into your H2. They are currently getting about 15mpg in a 2500hd which weigh in at an average of 7k, yes you would have
slightly better performance, be able to run regular fuel and marginally better fuel economy. You would also have a new technology engine, more hp and torque but the downside, its going to cost you at least 10 grand!
The only thing that will give you super fuel economy is a Duramax conversion but now were really talking big bucks which will be nearly impossible to recoup, but you already know that.

Personally, I have had 3 H2's and other then being religious with maintenance I have found nothing that really makes a great deal of difference in fuel economy other then treating the vertical pedal on the right like it has an egg under it.

Even though its a POS and doesn't drive or offer the comfort anywhere near my H2 I find myself driving my Jeep if it's important to keep the costs and road miles down.

Old 02-22-2024, 02:38 PM
Default Gavin nailed it!

Originally Posted by Gavin Costigan
The biggest thing I've found is to change your driving style. I get about 9 with my driving style, but I have found that really keeping my foot out of it I was able to get over 14 mpg on my 35 minute drive to school which consists of 50/50 highway and city driving. Just remember that the less input you give to the vehicle both brake and gas, the more mpg you will get, and the h2 is most efficient at around 55-60 mph. Any above that and you quickly begin to drink gas.
my best around town here in Florida on ethanol free 89 is almost 11.8, on 93 10% ethanol 10.7.
If my size 13 has other plans.. more like Gavin said, lol.

Old 02-22-2024, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by HarleyWrase
my best around town here in Florida on ethanol free 89 is almost 11.8, on 93 10% ethanol 10.7.
If my size 13 has other plans.. more like Gavin said, lol.
Dang…… 13….. that’s a hummer size shoe 😂

Old 02-23-2024, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz

Lose Weight!

In fact, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), for every 100 pounds taken out/off a vehicle, fuel economy increases by 1 to 2 percent.
Thank you for your suggestion, but losing weight is not an option for me. I need some hardware upgrades, such as spark plugs, intake, exhaust, tuning, etc.

Old 02-23-2024, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by calif phil
The factory airbox is fantastic, an airraid tube is a good addition, Borla makes a great cat back system, I have it on mine. Bridgestone Dueler are good tires with a more street friendly tread. Premium fluids like Liqui Moly and Redline are top of the line. If you change the O2 sensors. OEM from your local GM dealer are the best, too many fakes on Amazon.
Thank you very much for your advice, I have noted it down. I will do some research and start the modification soon. My original intention is still to swap the L5P, but I have recently planned a road trip to Alaska, so I want to spend a little money to change some parts. I haven’t done any parts upgrade since I bought the car in 2021, and I’m afraid some parts have aged.

Old 02-23-2024, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by jjy2kk
Thank you for your suggestion, but losing weight is not an option for me. I need some hardware upgrades, such as spark plugs, intake, exhaust, tuning, etc.
Hardware and much more.
3000HP, 0 to 60 in 2.7 sec.
But I’m pretty sure you get less than a mile out the gallon.
But you’re the MAN!!

or…….

Can’t go wrong 🤷🏼‍♂️

Quick Reply: How to improve H2 gas mileage?