Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

How to improve H2 gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
why do you think the world hates the H2... they are gas guzzling pigs.... if they where ment to be efficent they would have came efficent from the factory. the H2 design was offroad capabilities first fuel economy last. it's lineage was the hmmvve that was intended for military use. the military does not care about fuel economy as we tax payers fill there fule tanks.
It’s 2024 now and there are technologies and solutions to improve fuel economy. What you said is old school and outdated. Even if our tax pays for fuel tank, it’s H1 not H2. H2’s definition should be comfort and offroad capabilities

Old 02-20-2024, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chrmer3
Maybe this is more the ”Hummer” you should be “driving” fuel efficient and you can burn some tummy also….
Haha, you talk like you own one and have burned some tummy too. Congratulations.

Old 02-20-2024, 02:16 PM

Yes the new technologies are great like DI, DoD, VVT, etc. I save $1500 in fuel over 150,000 miles then I have to spend $2000+ fixing those things (massive carbon buildup on DI, collapsed lifters on DoD, failed VVT actuators, etc) since none of those features seem capable of lasting as long as the engine itself.

Old 02-20-2024, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Yes the new technologies are great like DI, DoD, VVT, etc. I save $1500 in fuel over 150,000 miles then I have to spend $2000+ fixing those things (massive carbon buildup on DI, collapsed lifters on DoD, failed VVT actuators, etc) since none of those features seem capable of lasting
as long as the engine itself.
You are spot on with this.
Of course there a few that got some good mileage out the gallon with some modifications that are on the market.
But k owing that other parts wear out or fail more often because of that it ain’t worth it.
Just for the few that will analyze the whole engine inside out.
For my Chevy Diesel it wasn’t hard to do this and I’m driving 70k miles a year.
I got a 99 Ford F250 Diesel and it has 1mil+ miles on it and still the same transmission and most of the engine.
The OP sees this as an accomplishment to have his H2 on a better gas milage.

Old 02-20-2024, 05:36 PM

Lose Weight!

In fact, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), for every 100 pounds taken out/off a vehicle, fuel economy increases by 1 to 2 percent.

Old 02-20-2024, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz

Lose Weight!

In fact, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), for every 100 pounds taken out/off a vehicle, fuel economy increases by 1 to 2 percent.
Removing the seats, dashboard, take off the roof, ridding of the bumpers, changing the wheels for carbon spares, don’t forget the heavy doors.
If you seen The Martian you’ll understand how that works as they send a man in space under a tarp 😂

Old 02-20-2024, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by BLK WLF
Removing the seats, dashboard, take off the roof, ridding of the bumpers, changing the wheels for carbon spares, don’t forget the heavy doors.
If you seen The Martian you’ll understand how that works as they send a man in space under a tarp 😂

I don't need(approx weight):
  • spare/mount bracket/jack kit>>>> -200lbs (RSA included with my insurance policy)
  • rear seats/mounts>>> -200lbs (easy to reinstall if needed)
  • side bar steps with brackets >>>-50lbs (brackets are junk & sent to the curbside pickup)
  • front splash & skid plate shields>>> -50lbs (more airflow to the drivetrain)
  • I lost body weight since purchase 12yrs ago >>>-80lbs (260 to 180)
Still all OEM (NO bells and whistles) and a huge improvement 0-60 & MPG, with less weight.

Old 02-20-2024, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by jjy2kk
It’s 2024 now and there are technologies and solutions to improve fuel economy. What you said is old school and outdated. Even if our tax pays for fuel tank, it’s H1 not H2. H2’s definition should be comfort and offroad capabilities
outdated is the hummer. if you want new technology then get a fuel efficient 2024 vehicle 4 banger gdi turbo. or a prius. drive that and enjoy the hummer when you feel spendy. the hummer is what it is. a chicken will never be a swan no matter how you ruffle it's feathers.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by jjy2kk
Do you have any recommended brands? How about any brand of Intake system?

The factory airbox is fantastic, an airraid tube is a good addition, Borla makes a great cat back system, I have it on mine. Bridgestone Dueler are good tires with a more street friendly tread. Premium fluids like Liqui Moly and Redline are top of the line. If you change the O2 sensors. OEM from your local GM dealer are the best, too many fakes on Amazon.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:48 AM

i have replaced the fuel filter and air filter, replaced all fluids, replaced spark plugs with oem acdelcos, all four gm oxygen sensors. cleaned the throttlebody, removed the spare tire and the third row jump seat, run the BFG TKO's at 40 psi. fether the brake and fuel. none of it drasticly improved MPG at most in city driving i get 7.4 to 8.6 if i do some highway it might go into the high 9's. and i accept thats what it is and ever will be. i beleive 2003 is the only year thay actualy gave you acess to see the onboard MPG on the cluster. in later production HUMMER actualy removed the option cause of so many complaints of MPG.

Quick Reply: How to improve H2 gas mileage?