Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Headliner fabric is falling down at windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 01:18 PM
Default Headliner fabric is falling down at windshield

Anyone figured out a good way to fix the headliner fabric from falling down? Where I put my sun reflector in the windshield is causing the fabric to come down at the top. I've tried Elmers spray and something from auto zone called "headliner adhesive" I forget what brand though. After using both of those, it still continues to fall down. Any one else run into this problem, if so how'd you permanently fix it? Thanks!

Old 01-07-2019, 07:12 AM

Unfortunately there is really no fix other than having the headliner redone. The fabric is separating from the foam due to the foam disintegrating from age. Problem is you glue it back to the foam and more of the foam then just disintegrates. If you try more adhesive it will just bleed through the fabric making it look worse. Eventually the fabric itself starts disintegrating and falling apart as well. About the only fix short of redoing the entire headliner is tacks, pins, staples, or something like that which can physically attach it to the actual headliner backer board. Mine is terrible. When I finish up restoring my GMC in the next few months I plan on pulling my H2 in the bay for a month or two to work on multiple projects on it, one being pulling the entire headliner out to redo it.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:02 AM

Hummer on Fumes
It seems that is a weak point in the headliner because of where it is at in the windshield and how the sun bakes it.
Almost all the Hummers I have seen to this point have this issue.

I will agree completely agree with Mix SC. There is no real permanent fix for this other than redoing the headliner. Now there are plenty of shops out there that will re-fabric your headliner/ seats/ carpet.... etc. So dont think you have to look for "headliner" in the shops title or description.
Now if you are one to do this yourself.... it isnt hard, just time consuming.
Take down the various headliner components, scrap the foam off (i suggest using a power sander/ hard buffer.... but watch how much pressure you use or you will go straight through the foam and into the headliner form), once the foam is off and you have a pretty clean headliner form.... spray the form with the headliner glue and spray the headliner fabric with the glue too, then put the two pieces together and work out the bubbles, folds, and imperfections. You then cut out the openings.... dont worry about being neat since they will be covered with the plastics.... the edges i would be a little neater with.

Reinstall

Hope this helps

Old 01-11-2019, 10:43 AM

Thanks guys. Replacing the headliner fabric is not the answer I wanted to hear but I guess it's truly the only way to fix the problem unfortunately. Thanks for your help. I wonder if you could pull the headliner down and spray it with bed liner? I'm considering doing that to my interior plastics because they're all chipped up

Old 01-11-2019, 11:19 AM

You could but if you want it to look good you will still want to use the backer board. Same process, remove the entire headliner backer board form, being very careful not to crack or damage it. Then in any case pull the headliner fabric off of it. Then (I use a drill with a reasonably soft brass wire brush) you have to remove every single bit of the old headliners foam backing from the board. That part is quite messy and time consuming no matter how you go about it. At that point you can clean it off an either glue a new headliner to it or I guess if you wanted you could spray it with bedliner.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:02 AM

My headliner was failing at the windshield as well. I've had excellent results with 3M's 38808 Headliner and Fabric Adhesive. I will say it took me two tries however. The first time I didn't follow the directions all that well, but I got it figured out on the 2nd try. The foam that MixManSC talked of also could have been breaking apart so much on the first try that by the 2nd try I also had two fairly good surfaces to adhere to.

The 2nd time here's what I did:
1) Rotate the sunvisor towards the doors and out of the way.
2) with your fingers, try and rub off as much deteriorated foam from the backer board and fabric as possible (It's messy, but don't worry about it as it easily vacuums up off the dash with a soft brush attachment)
3) I used my 3M 12" Tape and Paper Dispenser, that you can get at Home Depot to mask off the windshield just below the backboard, and also right off the edge of the headliner fabric that's dangling. At this point you should have something that looks like an upside down taco.
4) Get under 'the taco' and follow the directions exactly off the spray can i.e. spray 3 coats and rotate the aerosol nozzle to spray in the opposite direction of the first two
5) Most important step - wait 10 to 20 minutes and then remove your masking paper that is attached fabric and begin mating the end of the fabric to the end of the back board. I chose to lightly 'tack' the middle between the upper console and A-pillar, and then again the two middle points between that point to ensure I have the headliner lined up property to prevent any gaps or creases. After that with the light touch of the top of your hand, it's easy to brush the headliner back on in the direction from inside the truck outwardly to the windshield.

So far I've had this done for 6-months and haven't seen any falling areas and it looks great.

If you do decide to remove and replace the replacement fabric can be found here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-color-H...r=431593480896

Old 01-19-2019, 10:11 AM

Thank you!! Will definitely be following your steps as soon as spring hits.

Old 04-26-2019, 03:53 PM

Attempted this today. Here are some photos for anyone else who is having this same problem. I must admit positioning yourself to spray the glue is very difficult and this job isn't for the faint of heart. I think it turned out ok. I'll post back after awhile to update on it it falls down anymore or not. I took the foam all the way off using a wire brush, then sprayed on the 3M glue, then I used a squeegee to apply the headliner fabric to the foamless headliner board. It was too difficult and awkward to also spray the back of the fabric so I only sprayed the headliner board. Hopefully it stays put for good after this. Vacuuming up the foam is pretty easy. The 3M glue smells like cancer though so I recommend a mask and having the doors open.

Old 04-26-2019, 04:25 PM

I don’t suggest doing it yourself. I bought the fabric the 3m glue and I prepped everything and put glue on both sides and I let it sit a minute and started to cover it and it was looking really good and then I got a small wrinkle and I couldn’t get it out and I had to rip it off. What a mess and you do not have a 5 minute or 15 minute window like the glue said.. I took it to a shop and had it and the visors done for like 100 dollars. This was on 89 full-size blazer with basically a flat headliner.
I would suggest removing it yourself and taking it somewhere and having it done. Maybe some are capable of doing it but that’s not me even though I was convinced I could get it done. It could have been worse for me because I was able to use some of the stuff I messed up on the visor, I would have had to order more material and shipping and waiting. Post pics when it’s done. Do it in black alicantra or whatever it’s called.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:40 PM

The final picture is the finished product, it turned out decent, nobody really sees the very front that much anyway, it just looked really bad hanging down. I only needed to do the very end near the windshield

Last edited by hummer_on_fumes; 04-26-2019 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Headliner fabric is falling down at windshield